R.I.P. Jimmy Breslin

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P. Jimmy Breslin

Post by Mister Tee »

Jimmy Breslin covered so many areas that I wasn't even sure of the proper place to put this obituary -- film? politics? literary? simply "off-topic"? (he'd probably love that.) But I also wonder if some younger people even know who he is.

To many, he's probably the image of a New Yorker: brash and opinionated, parochial but fiercely lliberal-minded. He made his first big splash with a book about the hapless 1962 Mets -- a title many still recall: "Can't Anybody Here Play This Game"? He wrote a satire about the Mafia whose title has long outlived the book (and the pretty bad movie): The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight. He wrote about Tip O'Neill's run as House Majority Leader during the Nixon impeachment: How the Good Guys Finally Won. He got an odd kind of notoriety when serial killer David Berkowitz -- the Son of Sam -- wrote letters to him that made both men famous.

He also ran for NY Mayor, covered every major issue of the past 50 years, and generally made himself a pain in the butt to every local politician. You couldn't find a New Yorker unfamiliar with him. Somebody'll win an Emmy someday playing him. A true original.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/19/busi ... uthor.html

Return to “The People”