R.I.P. June Allyson

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Will miss her dearly. What a voice!!!
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Pass That Peace Pipe!
June Allyson was, for me, the epitome of the Hollywood girl-next-door whom we all loved secretly, in the forties. I loved her voice--a teenager's wet-dream material. She was as cute as a button, as Damien says, and always a Lady.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

She was cute as a button.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I was just thinking of June Allyson the other day. Never a great actress, but her forthrightness was always resfrehing. Gotta love her chutzpah for doing those diaper ads in her 70s and early 80s.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

June Allyson, 'perfect wife,' dies at 88

By BOB THOMAS, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 27 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES -
June Allyson, the sunny, cracked-voiced "perfect wife" of James Stewart, Van Johnson and other movie heroes, has died, her daughter Pamela Allyson Powell said Monday. She was 88.
ADVERTISEMENT

Allyson died Saturday at her home in Ojai, with her husband of nearly 30 years, David Ashrow, at her side, Powell said. She died of pulmonary respiratory failure and acute bronchitis after a long illness.

During World War II, American GIs pinned up photos of Rita Hayworth and Betty Grable, but June Allyson was the girl they wanted to come home to. Petite, blond and alive with fresh-faced optimism, she seemed the ideal sweetheart and wife, supporting and unthreatening.

"I had the most wonderful last meeting with June at her house in Ojai. We had gotten lost in the car. She told me: `I could wait for you forever.' We were such dear friends. I will miss her," lifelong friend
Esther Williams said.

With typical wonderment, Allyson expressed surprise in a 1986 interview that she had ever become a movie star:

"I have big teeth. I lisp. My eyes disappear when I smile. My voice is funny. I don't sing like Judy Garland. I don't dance like
Cyd Charisse. But women identify with me. And while men desire Cyd Charisse, they'd take me home to meet mom."
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The People”