R.I.P. Gene Wilder

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Gene Wilder

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:
It's hard not to have the utterly maudlin thought, that Gilda's been waiting for him a long time.
Lots of people have said this. I do wonder, though, how his newly widowed wife of 25 years feels about that. :P
Probably no different than Clark Gable's pregnant widow felt about Carole Lombard. Lombard was his third of five wives. They were only married three years when she died in that plane crash, yet she is the one he's buried with.

Radner was the third of Wilder's four wives. They had been married five years when she died, but in the mind of the public he'll always be linked with her as Gable was always linked with Lombard. Gilda's Club, the worldwide cancer research foundation he co-founded in her name in 1995 is still thriving.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:It's a sign of my particular age, but I've never seen him in Willy Wonka -- I was 19 when it came out, and such a kids' movie held no appeal.
I wouldn't go see it either, but I did play Sammy Davis, Jr.'s recording of "The Candy Man" incessantly.

The film is, however, a watchable kids' movie, which can't be said of the Johnny Depp remake.

My favorite Wilder film is Young Frankenstein, which is also my favorite Mel Brooks film.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mister Tee wrote:
It's hard not to have the utterly maudlin thought, that Gilda's been waiting for him a long time.
Lots of people have said this. I do wonder, though, how his newly widowed wife of 25 years feels about that. :P

I grew up in Stamford, CT. I think everyone of a certain age who's from there has a "Gene and Gilda sighting" story. I remember as a kid, I saw them in a Friendly's restaurant having dinner with a friend. No one bothered them. But when they left, customers (mostly teens) crowded the front window to watch them go by.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

It always hurts to lose people who made you laugh.

He had an incredible knack for near-monotone concealing pure hysteria -- "Repeat. That."; "Put. The. Candle. Back." And sometimes hysteria itself -- "I'm wet! I'm wet and I'm hysterical" And I'll always treasure his sad-eyedl "My name is Jim, but my friends call me...Jim".

It's a sign of my particular age, but I've never seen him in Willy Wonka -- I was 19 when it came out, and such a kids' movie held no appeal. My memories of him are all Mel Brooks/Richard Pryor -- with a brief stopover on his early credits: the TV Death of a Salesman, and Bonnie and Clyde.

danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

A part of my childhood just died. He was a unique talent for sure, somehow able to play both the straight man and the comic at the same time.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

This clip is probably everywhere. But how can I not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... o6-tYS9k1U
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Gene Wilder

Post by Big Magilla »

Return to “The People”