RIP Henry Bumstead

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I'm amazed that he worked well into his old age. I salute him.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Academy Award-winning set designer Henry Bumstead has died at age 91, the Los Angeles Times reported on Saturday.

Bumstead, who worked on more than 100 films during a nearly 70-year career, won Oscars for production design for the 1962 drama "To Kill a Mockingbird" and the 1973 comedy "The Sting."

He also was an Oscar nominee for the 1958 thriller "Vertigo" and actor and director Clint Eastwood's 1992 western "Unforgiven."

Bumstead was "one of a kind," Eastwood said in a statement quoted by the Los Angeles Times.

"He seamlessly bridged the gap between what I saw on the page and what I saw through the camera lens. He is a legend in his field and a cherished friend. We will all miss him terribly," Eastwood said.

Bumstead and Eastwood collaborated on 13 films, starting with the John Sturges-directed 1972 western "Joe Kidd."

During work on Eastwood's 2004 Oscar-winning drama "Million Dollar Baby," Bumstead learned he had prostate cancer, reportedly the cause of his death, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Return to “The People”