R.I.P. Anton Yelchin

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Anton Yelchin

Post by Big Magilla »

From the A-List:

The type of vehicle which reportedly caused the death of actor Anton Yelchin had previously been recalled over a malfunction risk. The 27-year-old was killed on 19 June after his Jeep Grand Cherokee rolled and pinned him to a mailbox. It has now emerged that thousands of the vehicles were voluntarily recalled in April.

A friend of Yelchin's reportedly found the actor's body outside his Studio City, California home at around 1am, trapped against the gate between the 2.5 ton Jeep and a brick mailbox. Authorities say the car was in neutral and the engine was still running when Yelchin was discovered. The actor was due to meet friends for a rehearsal at 11pm on 18 June and they grew suspicious when he did not turn up.

As questions arise as to how the accident occurred, the Mail Online reveal that Fiat Chrysler ran a voluntarily recall on Jeep Grand Cherokees that were manufactured between 16 July 2012 and 22 December 2015. Other vehicles recalled in April 2016 include the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300. The issue centered on the gear stick which caused confusion for drivers as it was not clear when they had successfully put the car into park.

A report on the defect published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration states: "FCA US has determined that the existing strategies built into these vehicles to deter drivers from exiting the vehicle after failing to put the transmission into 'PARK' have not stopped some from doing so."

Echoing the circumstances surrounding Yelchin's accident, the NHTSA report continues: "Drivers erroneously concluding that their vehicle's transmission is in the PARK position may be struck by the vehicle and injured if they attempt to get out of the vehicle while the engine is running and the parking brake is not engaged. FCA US has therefore determined that the absence of an additional mechanism to mitigate the effects of driver error in failing to shift the monostable gear selector into PARK prior."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

One of the best young actors around, this is really shocking.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wir ... yptr=yahoo
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

This is AWFUL. The article below refers to the cause of death as a car accident, but other reports have elaborated that he was found dead at the bottom of a steep driveway while pinned between his still running vehicle and a brick mailbox attached to a gate. What a terrible way to go, and at such a tragically young age.

I'm a bit ready for the world to let up on the tragedy for a while.
jack
Assistant

R.I.P. Anton Yelchin

Post by jack »

Return to “The People”