Best of Russell Crowe - Choose your favorite out of these picks

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.

Best of Russell Crowe - Choose your favorite out of these picks

Proof (1991)
7%
Romper Stomper (1992)
7%
The Sum of Us (1995)
7%
Virtuosity (1995)
No votes
L. A. Confidential (1997)
28%
The Insider (1999)
38%
Gladiator (2000)
10%
A Beautiful Mind (2001)
No votes
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)
3%
Cinderella Man (2005)
No votes

Total votes: 29

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

L.A. Confidential and The Insider are my favorites. I find Gladiator as the perfect type of character for Crowe.
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

Sabin wrote:I mean, how many of his children would have to drown before he takes his ####ing prozac? That's what I was left with. It's not an honorable story at all.
Meh, I could care less about babies. For me, the most offensive part was that the dazzling Jennifer Connelly would be attracted to this guy at all :p
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Not a big fan of his, but I'll cop to thinking he's pretty fantastic in L.A. Confidential. Master & Commander's my runner up.

My problem with A Beautiful Mind has nothing to do with how much the movie was rewritten. Rather it's that they rewrite it into something less intriguing; though it's not as offensive as with The Hurricane (where a potentially gripping story is tossed in favor of vanilla gravitas), I still had no idea who any of the characters were. I thought Crowe was the best thing in the film, but I still didn't know who the guy was on any level aside from the fact that I didn't like John Forbes Nash at all. I mean, how many of his children would have to drown before he takes his ####ing prozac? That's what I was left with. It's not an honorable story at all.
"How's the despair?"
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

criddic3 wrote:Woe, Damien, you're the first serious movie watcher I've known to say they didn't like L.A. Confidential. I was completely blown away by it when I saw it in 1997. It's one of the greatest films of the 1990's, maybe of the last 25 years. It's so good, even Kim Basinger turned in a solid performance.

Make that two. There are things I like a lot - the period atmosphere, Jerry Goldsmith's score, the performances of the guys (sorry, criddic, I found Basinger's performance utterly forgettable) - but I found the opening to LA Confidential painfully slow, and the 'tagged-on' ending embarassingly phony.

It is one of Crowe's better performances, although I admit he has an adequately compelling prescence in Gladiator and I quite liked him in Master & Commander. But I went with The Insider, the only one of his major films other than LA Confidential which felt like a true acting performance rather than a 'star attraction'.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Again, you've missed the point. It's not a dislike of Ron Howard (I believe many of us liked Apollo 13).

The problem with A Beautiful Mind was that it was so vain. It took a man's story, completely re-wrote it to make it more palatable for audiences and then made it into schmaltz.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Woe, Damien, you're the first serious movie watcher I've known to say they didn't like L.A. Confidential. I was completely blown away by it when I saw it in 1997. It's one of the greatest films of the 1990's, maybe of the last 25 years. It's so good, even Kim Basinger turned in a solid performance.

Russell Crowe is a terrific actor. I've liked him in nearly every film he's starred in and seems to have a good eye for the right roles.

While I agree that Gladiator was an unlikely Best Picture winner, it was an entertaining film with some fine acting in it. People still tell me they love this movie. You'd might be surprised how many people own it on dvd.

Same for A Beautiful Mind, which seems to have an unhealthy amount of detractors on this board. So many people liked it. So, I guess it's a matter of disliking Ron Howard, a popular director.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The only time I ever liked him was in L.A. Confidential (and I'm not even a big fan of that picture).
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Crowe is quite charming in 'Proof' (great film) and 'The Sum Of Us', and 'Romper Stomper' revealed his versatility.

Also during this period I saw him onstage playing Frankenfurter in 'The Rocky Horror Show' and he delivered the goods (especially as he was usually playing Eddie/Dr Scott and only understudying the lead role).

Then he went Hollywood and his personality unfortunately made its way to the forefront and it's been all downhill from there.

I voted for 'Proof'.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

anonymous wrote:That's no mistake, flipp525. Before Russell Crowe hit it big, he starred in a well-received Australian film called Proof with Hugo Weaving.
I voted for The Insider (he woulda been a much better choice for the Oscar that year than Kevin Spacey, and it's such a much, much better performance than Gladiator), but Proof is one of the first films I saw him in, along with The Sum of Us. Proof is a terrific little movie, well worth seeing.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Ah, my bad.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

That's no mistake, flipp525. Before Russell Crowe hit it big, he starred in a well-received Australian film called Proof with Hugo Weaving.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Proof (2001)? Obviously, you mean Proof of Life. I vote to abstain from voting as well. I think Crowe should follow through with his "threat" and just retire from acting and stay away from the U.S. He brings very little to the table for me.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I included Virtuosity because it was one of the first films I saw him in and noticed him. Although the movie is not any great film, he was fun to watch in it, playing Sid 6.7.

I liked him in The Quick and the Dead, but I thought his role was rather small in comparison to the others I listed. That was released the same year as Virtuosity, but earlier in the year. I remember seeing it because Leo DiCaprio (who i thought was cute at the time) and Gene Hackman were in it.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I would vote for The Insider, only because it was the only one of his performances where I sensed any remote being of real acting going on, under the masterful direction of Michael Mann, but I'm not going to vote only on the pretense of my extreme dislike of the man, and he doesn't deserve a best of thread in the least. The worst of hem all are the high-school dramatics of A Beautiful Mind, where Russell Crowe was ACTING and PLAYING A CRAZY MAN.

Tripp

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1129530174
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Oh, yeah. He was in The Quick and the Dead, wasn't he? As I recall, he wasn't bad in that.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “The People”