R.I.P. Helena Sanders-Brahms

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. Helena Sanders-Brahms

Post by Precious Doll »

Helena Sanders-Brahms one of the lesser known directors of the German new-wave of the 1970's passed away in 2014 in Berlin after a long illness. I just came across her passing, and aside from a an obituary in Screen Daily there is very little on the internet on her passing. Hence is was not included on our on-going growing list here.

She is best known for Germany, Pale Mother (1979) & No Mercy, No Future (1981) and though she never attained the international attention of her German contemporary Margarethe von Trotta but for my money was the far more interesting filmmaker.

Ironically, I was already planning on watching the recently resorted version of Germany, Pale Mother tomorrow night.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helma_Sanders-Brahms
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “The People”