100 Great Supporting Actor Performances

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

This is part of a terrific article by Paul Campos in the Ocala (Fla) Star-Banner about the weird obsession the Pseudo Christians have with homosexuality. "It has been pointed out that it is more difficult for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven. And surely few vices could be more dangerous to a Christian's soul than to indulge in the delusion that his nation is morally superior to other countries (contemporary nationalism is little more than spiritual pride on a grand political scale)."

And to think of one's country in terms of failure and international dissunity is better?

Let's face facts. America often straddles the divide between being an independently important nation, while also part of an increasingly "global society." This is natural. We don't shy away from helping those (many) countries that ask us for assistance and support, while at the same time they admonish us for having a strong nationalistic culture. We're good enough to help out, but not enough to be liked. We're smart enough to seek when trouble brews, but too dumb to know we're not a great country. We're too arrogant, taking a unilateral approach to some aspects of the War on Terror, but must take the lead in sending aid and troops around the globe at others' request. We're supposed to listen to the U.N. on matters of international urgency and when we do, we are acknowledged some of the time, but then the same people we help turn their backs when we ask for help in ending years of diplomatic failure. Yes, we're such a terrible country.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

criddic3 wrote:My point is this: It isn't fair or true to say that America isn't the most free and strong country, because it is. It isn't fair or true to say that we don't give the most aid in most cases, because we do. Just because you disagree with our President or with some of our policies or you just don't like us being so prominent, doesn't mean we should cater to your view. I should not begin to say that I have a terrible country. It wouldn't be true. I should not say we are too arrogant just because some foreign countries don't like us. It wouldn't be true. . . .

So instead of telling us how horrible we are for loving our country, or saying how flawed we are when no country in Europe or else where can claim to have what we have, . . .

This is part of a terrific article by Paul Campos in the Ocala (Fla) Star-Banner about the weird obsession the Pseudo Christians have with homosexuality.

"It has been pointed out that it is more difficult for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven. And surely few vices could be more dangerous to a Christian's soul than to indulge in the delusion that his nation is morally superior to other countries (contemporary nationalism is little more than spiritual pride on a grand political scale)."

The entire article is at http://www.ocala.com/apps....OPINION
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

criddic3 wrote:some foreign films I've seen:

Paradise Now
Hope you weren't too scared while watching this?
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

criddic3 wrote:Canada has a universal health care system that is a disaster, because the people there have to wait for emergency-level procedures for very long periods of time.
And you got your information on Canada's health-care system from?
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Yes, Uri... Criddic at least is honest. This is why I like him so much. When I read his posts, it's weird: I smile in disbelief, but at the same time in recognition. Because he's like most Americans I've met in my life, maybe a bit more explicit, but let's face it - this is how most Americans, deep inside, think and feel.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Talk to Her ***; Bad Education **** (Criddic's Foreign Film Award, 2004); Tie Me Up Tie Me Down! **

I didn't see All About My Mother yet, but there are losts of films I have yet to see.

some foreign films I've seen:

Seven Samurai
The Bicycle Thief
Downfall
Yojimbo
Hidden Fortress
Ran
Like Water for Chocolate
Cyrano de Bergerac
Grand Illusion
Paradise Now
Oldboy
Il Postino
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Life is Beautiful
Cinema Paradiso
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Flight of the Innocent
Devil's Backbone
Antonia's Line
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Osama
Sanjuro
Throne of Blood
Rashomon
Come Undone
Three Men and a Cradle
La Cage Aux Folles
A Very Long Engagement
Amelie
The Twilight Samurai
Hero
House of Flying Daggers
The Motorcycle Diaries
and many others

Admittedly some Americans shy away from foreign films, because they have to read them. I don't mind that (tho it may help that I sometimes read Closed Captioning, too). But these are often the same people who shy away from older movies, particularly black & white movies, or silent films. I love movies. I have no problem seeing the world from different perspectives and seeing stories with people who are different from me in them. I am not closed-minded. Perhaps you are off-put by the fact that Identify with the Republican Party, voted for President Bush twice and still support many of his policies to this day. This might make you assume that I view the world in unenlightened or narrow terms. I don't, but I do hold strong opinions and stick by them. Maybe this makes you dislike my posts here. My philosophy on life is that you shouldn't have to be one set of things. I feel that I can be interested in many different things that don't seem to match on the surface, and not be dumb or unwilling to broaden my views. Republicans are people, too, if you will. I am hearing impaired, gay, conservative and get along with people of all types (long as you're a decent person and not completely boring or conceited.)
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Marco, don’t you find Criddic so charmingly sincere? He is the naked, exposed id to the ego and super ego sometime expressed in other, more refined and subtle views expressed here from tine to time. Actually, I think the moderators should find out how you managed to post under his name. He did serve your cause just a little bit too perfectly.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:I doubt that any American truly thinks we live in a "perfect" country.
It is, but for you.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:I'm not saying that Hollywood of recent years always produces Good Films, but they do produce the most and the biggest.
India produces more.

I hope I'm not risking them being bombed out of existence by stating this.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Thank God Criddic exists. I mean it. My English is too bad to express properly what I mean, but then Criddic gives me the help I needed (he's my lawyer in the same way that Flipp is Big Magilla's lawyer): one post from him is enough to show in the best possible way what's wrong with America and why America will never change. I know - most of you on this board might not agree with him (or at least will never admit it). But let's face it, guys - this is the real America. This is the dark side I was referring too. And believe me, only an American could think that way about the country he lives in - no European would be so tragically blind, so seriously narrow minded, so obviously terrified by his own doubts to desperately proclaim his faith in his culture and the safeness it (falsely) seems to provide.

So, Big Magilla, it's not xenophobia - which, I agree, you can find in Agatha Christie and in other Europeans. It's something much more dangerous. It's ignorance, and obtuseness. And the problem is that Criddic is only the victim. So, who - or what - is the culprit?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Damien wrote:The mind boggles.

Reeling from the shock, the mind eventually reconciles itself with the realization of the source. But still shakes itself in wonder, bemusement, frustration and even horror.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The mind boggles.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

criddic3 wrote:haha. That was actually funny uri. I didn't say that coming here was the best career move, although they would not make the kinds of money or have as many choices artistically anywhere else. And Spy Kids 1 and 2 were actually very good family movies. Without Hollywood, Banderas might never have made Evita or Mask of Zorro, two of his best performances.
Criddic, list all the Pedro Almodovar films you've seen right now.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

haha. That was actually funny uri. I didn't say that coming here was the best career move, although they would not make the kinds of money or have as many choices artistically anywhere else. And Spy Kids 1 and 2 were actually very good family movies. Without Hollywood, Banderas might never have made Evita or Mask of Zorro, two of his best performances.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

I’m sorry, I was wrong. Magilla, Flipp, you should thank your lucky stars for having Criddic to make me see the light. And I think Banderas should thank God for his good fortune too. Now that he made all these Spy Kids movies, he will be forgiven for the shame of being in Women on the Verge and Lows of Desire. God Bless America.

Return to “The People”