R.I.P. Gunner Hansen

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. Gunner Hansen

Post by Precious Doll »

From Deadline

Gunnar Hansen, Original Leatherface Of Tobe Hooper’s ‘The Texas Chain Saw Massacre,’ Dies At 68

Gunnar Hansen, the actor who first stretched cinema’s most unsettling mask over his head and delivered the iconic Leatherface to our nightmares, died yesterday of pancreatic cancer in Maine. The star of Tobe Hooper’s 1974 drive-in classic Texas Chain Saw Massacre was 68.

“May you spin with your chainsaw at magic hour forever more,” tweeted Edgar Wright, director of Shaun of the Dead. Wright, of course, was referring to the indelible image of Hansen’s psycho Leatherface handling his killer chainsaw like a demented baton-twirling cheerleader. On Facebook, John Dugan, the actor who played Leatherface’s grandfather, wrote “So long Gunn, my old friend……You’ll forever be alive in my heart.”

A native of Iceland who grew up in Maine, Hansen embraced the genre that brought him notoriety, often appearing at fan gatherings and filling his resume with B-movie features like Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers and Freakshow. His book Chain Saw Confidential was published in 2013, and he reportedly was developing a prison-horror movie called Death House at the time of his death, which was confirmed to the Associated Press earlier today by his agent Mike Eisenstadt.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “The People”