R.I.P. Setsuko Hara

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Setsuko Hara

Post by Precious Doll »

Thank you so much dws1982 for posting this.

Setsuko Hara is my all-time favourite Japanese actress and I'm shocked it's taken this long (nearly 3 months) for her passing to be reported by the Western media.

Rather than posting more obituaries on this thread I recommend anyone interested in her life to got to her page on imdb and check out the news items.

My partner and I are going to Japan next year (first time in over 2 decades) and one of our destinations will be the town in which Setsuko spent her long retirement, not far from the burial site of her beloved Ozu.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
dws1982
Emeritus

R.I.P. Setsuko Hara

Post by dws1982 »

It's pretty much impossible to become familiar with post-war Japanese cinema and not also become familiar with Hara.

Acting legend Setsuko Hara of Ozu film "Tokyo Story" dies at 95

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Legendary actress Setsuko Hara, who starred in the Yasujiro Ozu movie "Tokyo Story," died of pneumonia on Sept. 5 at a hospital in Kanagawa Prefecture, her family said Wednesday. She was 95.

She was the heroine in golden-age Japanese movies including the Ozu works "Tokyo Story" in 1953 and "Late Spring" in 1949, as well as in "The Green Mountains" directed by Tadashi Imai in 1949, "El Idiota" by Akira Kurosawa in 1951 and "Repast" by Naruse Mikio in 1951.

The actress, whose real name was Masae Aida, was born in Yokohama and made her debut as a movie actress in 1935.

She retired in 1962 at the age of 42 and lived in de facto seclusion for decades in Kamakura in Kanagawa near Tokyo.

Return to “The People”