R.I.P. Fred Thompson

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Fred Thompson

Post by dws1982 »

He wasn't necessarily a great (or even all that good) actor, but he had a folksy charm that was easy to like. And even though he was there for its worst seasons, he got to be part of one of the all-time silliest scenes in TV history on Law & Order. (Elizabeth Rohm's "Is it because I'm a lesbian?" scene.)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

R.I.P. Fred Thompson

Post by Precious Doll »

The Hollywood Reporter

R.I.P. Fred Thompson, character actor and U.S. Senator
Fred Thompson, character actor, lawyer and US senator has died at the age of 73.

By Paul Heath - Nov 2, 2015

It’s a name you many not know, but character actor Fred Thompson‘s face you’ll instantly recognise. I will personally remember Thompson for his portrayal of Trudeau in Die Hard 2. Nobody has rocked an air traffic control room like Trudeau.

Thompson passed away at the age of 73 on Sunday.

Thompson lived a remarkable life. He started off as a used-car salesman before attending law school. He was on the Republican counsel to the Senate Watergate Committee that investigated President Richard Nixon, and then turned to acting in 1985 film on the movie Marie, starring Sissy Spacek and Morgan Freeman, where he played himself.

Roles in No Way Out, Days Of Thunder, and of course, Die Hard 2 followed. His film and TV career continued into the 1990s, including a part in Martin Scorsese’s Cape Fear remake, but it was during that decade that Thompson became a US senator. Obviously mulling from his many years of experience, Thompson starred as D.A. Arthur Branch in Law And Order from 2002 to 2007.

Thompson was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in 2004, and died this past weekend. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family at this time.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “The People”