R.I.P. Marty Ingels

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

R.I.P. Marty Ingels

Post by Big Magilla »

Marty Ingels, an actor and comedian known for his co-starring role in the 1960s sitcom I'm Dickens, He's Fenster, has died, wife Shirley Jones announced on Wednesday. He was 79.

Ingels died Wednesday in Tarzana, Calif., as a result of complications from a stroke.

"He often drove me crazy, but there’s not a day I won’t miss him and love him to my core," Jones said in a statement.

Ingels began his career with TV appearances in the 1960s before landing a co-starring role opposite John Astin on ABC's I'm Dickens, He's Fenster.

He also appeared in two episodes of CBS' The Dick Van Dyke Show as Sol Pomeroy and on an episode of ABC's Bewitched.

He had roles in such films as Sid Caesar's The Busy Body (1967), the Walter Matthau comedy A Guide for the Married Man (1967) and the Albert Finney drama The Picasso Summer (1969).

Later, he was known for lending his rasp to voiceover work in hundreds of cartoons and commercials. He also launched Ingels, Inc., an agency that booked film stars, including John Wayne and Cary Grant, in TV ad campaigns.

Ingels and Jones met at a party at actor Michael Landon's home, after which Ingels pursued her tenaciously, which bothered some of her friends. The pair got married in 1977 and published a 1990 autobiography entitled Shirley & Marty: An Unlikely Love Story.

Jones appeared in such movie musicals as Oklahoma! (1955) and Carousel (1956) and won an Oscar for her role in Elmer Gantry (1960). She was later known for playing the matriarch on the 1970s sitcom The Partridge Family.

Ingels is survived by stepsons Shaun, Patrick and Ryan Cassidy; a niece and 12 grandchildren.

Return to “The People”