Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Precious Doll
Tenured

Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein

Postby Precious Doll » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:31 am

"I think he sexually assaulted a child and I don't think that's right…It's gotten very quiet in here, but that's true." Susan Sarandon on Woody Allen, Cannes Film Festival 2016

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Postby OscarGuy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:50 am

The sad part of this is that we all KNOW about it. We all knew it was a penchant of the Hollywood elite to sexually harass their stars. It's been going on since the beginning of film. The Casting Couch concept has been a well-heeled part of the behind-the-scenes drama for so long that it was inevitable that the trend would continue well beyond the iconic days of the Hollywood experience. The difference now is that it's all coming to light and there are and will be consequences.

So far, accusations against the studio president at Amazon have come to light. I hope that these issues continue to come to light and that women in Hollywood finally realize that the big dogs CAN be taken down. Though, is Weinstein really a big dog anymore. TWC has faded as an Oscar powerhouse. More and more directors are snubbing the studio for smaller payments from rival studios simply because they know their work will be respected. Could this just be a case that Weinstein had finally lost the kind of power and control he once had and thus became an easy target? I think there's some truth in that, but I doubt that he lost all of his mojo and that he was still somewhat powerful. I just hope that his diminished potency was not a factor in this hitting so hard and that others can come forward with similar results. However, considering how power works in Hollywood and elsewhere, I worry that this is the tip of the very big iceberg being cut off and the rest of it will remain submerged.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Uri
Assistant

Postby Uri » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:15 am

Big Magilla wrote:Harassment of any kind by anyone is traumatic for the victim. It is especially so when it is of a sexual nature whether the victim is a man or a woman. I reject the notion that that is the way the world is for a woman. More often for a woman than a man, yes, but certainly not for all women.

I am afraid you just don't get it. Only 2 years ago, my now deceased mother, hearing something on the radio about sexual harassment, very casually (It seemed) told me about an incident which happened nearly 60 years before. She was leaving hospital, where my infant sister was hospitalized, and she was offered a lift home by a man she knew. After a few minutes he reached his hand and grab her knee. She managed to get away and got out of the car. "Nothing" happened, but she somehow "managed" not to mention it for decades. I can reassure you that each and every woman you know could tell you plenty of stories like this and the vast majority of them would come up with far worst ones. As for your male acquaintances - I'll stick my neck and say the vast majority of them won't. (Ok, it just occured to me you grew up in a Catholic environment, so maybe you will find quite a few).

But it's not only about this. It's about the different way men and women go through Life. A few years ago we had here in Israel a chain of sex scandals involving high rank police officers. And I heard this saying by a member of the police who said privately "a police woman who wants to get professionally advanced knows she has to spread her legs". This inherent knowledge, or even the imprinted awareness of it being probable IS indeed unique to women. The fact that they are expected to abide (not necessarily sexually) what is usually a male dominant environment is something we don't go through, certainly not as a common practice. The way women are supposed to present themselves is far more demanding than the way men are. The dress code is much more intricate and tricky, the decorum is far more constricting and the sanctions they suffer when breaking the rules are more severe. I guess a male worker who was seen as a trouble maker would have had an easier time finding a new job.

And, for all their troubles, women are still paid less.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:17 am

Harassment of any kind by anyone is traumatic for the victim. It is especially so when it is of a sexual nature whether the victim is a man or a woman. I reject the notion that that is the way the world is for a woman. More often for a woman than a man, yes, but certainly not for all women.

I am not dismissing McGowan's complaint. I'm sure her trauma was real. I'm also sure that Weinstein knew it, too, which is why he was so quick to settle for $100,000.000 to keep her original complaint from going forward. That her coming forward now helped spur others to share their own past trauma at the hands of this pig is a good thing. What spurred the revelation, though, seems to be wrapped up in the loss of her deal with Amazon which she is somehow blaming on Amazon's unrelated deal with Weinstein. Her throwing the Afflecks under the bus is also unrelated. She might just as well say that all those actresses who won Oscars for Weinstein produced films won because they played ball with him. Not everyone who is accused of a crime is guilty. Perpetuating unsubstantiated rumors, as in Casey Affleck's case, is not right.

I have a long history of dealing with sexual harassment in the workplace going back to my first day on the job in California in February, 1981 when I had to sit in on a counseling session involving a male employee who was being counseled for harassing a female employee which eventually led to his dismissal by me for continued harassment. There would be others over the years. On the other hand, I have also been the victim of a female employee who stalked me in the 1990s to the point of following me home and showing up in my local grocery store. When I failed to take the bait, she complained to HR that I was stalking her. Fortunately, no one believed her and she transferred to another department where she raised the same complaint about her new manager, a woman. Eventually she was fired for something else. When she then applied for a job as an armed guard with the company that supplied guards to our building, HR was instrumental in preventing her hire. We later learned that she had gotten a job as a clerk at her local police station.

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:53 am

I agree with every word of Uri's post.

I'll just add some of my own thoughts on this post.

Flips and BJ's stories are beyond horrid. Really made me grateful to have spent my working life in an environment where behaviour like this was unacceptable and management encouraged to people to come forward with their concerns. Employee's were regularly advised of correct code of conduct, men and women earned the same salaries and tolerance of race, sexual orientation and religious beliefs was continually promoted. Not that things didn't happen, and in some instances the allegations were found to be false, but numerous avenues were always provided for employees to come forward (I am under no illusion that there would have been cases were people didn't come forward). Bullying on the other hand, also not tolerated, was always raising it's ugly head and given human nature will always be a problem but that doesn't mean it should be ever be accepted or tolerated.

I've long thought that Rose McGowan (always a welcome presence for me in any film, I might add) was a little flighty, perhaps damaged in some way. No big deal there, she's not alone. What Harvey & co have put her through only makes it so much worse for her. She's clearly overwhelmed and consumed by all this and it damaged her further. It's highly unlikely she will ever have any closure on what she has been through.

Today I read an article (on my iPhone so I haven't got the link) that Jane Fonda has spoken out that she first heard rumours about Harvey one year ago. She feels badly that she didn't speak out about it and she said that she hopes to have the courage to do so if she hears similar things in the future.

But it got me thinking. I can believe that Judi Dench & Meryl Streep have never heard rumours of Harvey's behaviour. Streep has been so far up the food chain in Hollywood for decades and to some degree probably living in a bubble - can you imagine anyone telling her what could be just gossip. Judi Dench was in her 60's when her association with Miramax began. She was unlikely going to be a target for Harvey - just a meal ticket to make money from appearing in Harvey's films.

But boy, do I have a hard time believing that Matt Damon & Ben Affleck were completely unaware - not even a rumour? Harvey had a big role in giving them their big break into the industry. Good Will Hunting was the ultimate fairytale. There had been nothing like that since Rocky. They were much younger then, we are talking 20 years ago, and undoubtedly less wiser than they are know, though maybe not. I just find it so hard to believe that they had never heard so much as a rumour. I doubt the media will pursue the issue as they are good looking Hollywood heavyweights.

On a final note, as we on the board are all men, we really have no idea what women go through on a daily basis. We can display and express all the empathy we want but we all have no idea what women go through. This can also be extended to the fact we do not know what it is like to be a coloured person or homosexual or transgender or a person of a particular race, unless we are ourselves are from a minority and then everyone's life experience is different due to numerous factors, way too many to list. We don't know and cannot know what it is like to be a woman. For example a woman just using public transport to get from point A to point B faces a good chance of unwelcome advances from some men. While many men do behave in an appropriate manner and treat women with respect for the person that they there are plenty who don't - most don't get found out but they deserve to be outed.

I'm with Sabin:

Yup, this isn't going away. Everyone's getting dragged in. Which is good.
"I think he sexually assaulted a child and I don't think that's right…It's gotten very quiet in here, but that's true." Susan Sarandon on Woody Allen, Cannes Film Festival 2016

Uri
Assistant

Postby Uri » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:47 am

I was very saddened to read Flip’s and BJ’s personal recollections of being sexually harassed. It’s important to have these personal pov by people we know and it does make this issue more personally urgent.

But. For some mysterious reasons, this forum has always been practically a male only one. And I’m afraid this regrettable aspect of it is unfortunately represented in this discussion. For all the sorrow and (hopefully not incurable) trauma our friends went through, what they experienced was a personal, individual devastation. It was not a culturally and socially integral part of their becoming men. It is, however, a very basic aspect of what being a woman, every woman, is.

A huge part of the humiliation a sexually harassed man feels is the sense that it shouldn’t have happened to him as a human being. A huge aspect of women (and girls) take on similar occurrences is that this is the way the world is. And for all the empathy we must and hopefully can apply, we must be aware of the fact that there always will be sensitivities we, as men, just don’t intuitively get, or even worse, are conditioned to view as questionable.

This is why I was disappointed with Magilla’s last post. For me, the fact that Rose McGowan doesn’t appear to be the most mentally solid person only enhances her credibility. As a victim of serial abuse as well as a target for this kind of attacks - predators are very good at identifying people who are more vulnerable. And dismissing her in order to protect the integrity of an Oscar win is particularly an uncalled for remark.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:25 pm

I think Rose McGowan has a screw loose, several maybe.

Here's someone with a history of drug abuse which may well be affecting her ability to think straight.

She is not only obsessed with Weinstein, but the Afflecks as well. The reference to Amazon's "dirty Oscar" is a reference to the highly questionable charges against Casey Affleck.

The project she allegedly "sold" to Amazon that they later rejected is alleged to be her long promised expose of the Children of God cult which she was a member of as a child along with the Phoenix kids. Casey Affleck was/is? married to Summer Phoenix.

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Yup, this isn't going away. Everyone's getting dragged in. Which is good.

Rose McGowan's twitter account was suspended after she posted a phone number. Which, y'know, makes sense. As soon as it was reactivated, she shared a story about: 1) how Harvey Weinstein raped her, and 2) how she tried to tell Jeff Bezos about it when he conducted business with Weinstein and in response he killed a show they were doing together.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/rose-m ... 201886769/
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:20 pm

Here are two thoughts I have on this Weinstein scandal:

1: Weinstein, as well as Cosby, Trump, et al., could only have gotten away with what they did if they were already powerful celebrities; but, powerful celebrities would already have enough groupies willing to offer themselves to satisfy all their sexual desires. Did they really have such a need to exercise their power on those less powerful that they did what they did even though they could have gotten all the sexual gratification they could want legally? I guess so.

2: I hope these revelations could be used to shed light on abuses in the entertainment industry beyond sexual abuse, specifically extra-long working hours on sets. I remember reading where a cameraman working on the set of the movie Pleasantville died in a car accident because he fell asleep driving home after working a 19-hour day. I actually think people who run TV/movie sets for those kinds of hours should be charged with criminally-negligent homicide.

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Kate Beckinsale says Harvey Weinstein sexually harassed her when she was underage.
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/kate-b ... 201886574/

James Van Der Beek admits to being groped by powerful men as a young actor.
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/james- ... 201886566/
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:35 am

The Original BJ wrote:flipp, I'm very sorry that happened to you.

Thank you, BJ. I'm sorry that you went through that awful experience.

Also, I appreciate how receptive the Board was to hearing about these experiences. It's not something I've shared with anyone outside of maybe one or two people, but I feel better now having shared it here.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:43 am

And the world weeps. Yet a year ago, despite similar accusations against another powerful man, no damage was done to his bid to become president of the United States and there he sits wreaking daily havoc on the world, doing figuratively to everyone what he did literally to those women.

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:06 am

More victims are coming forward.

Léa Seydoux

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/o ... aulted-her

Cara Delevingne

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/o ... wife-split

A very distrubing piece from Ronan Farrow the appeared in The New Yorker:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... ir-stories

danfrank
Temp

Postby danfrank » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:26 pm

Flipp and BJ, your posts are very powerful in illustrating how prevalent, damaging, and complex sexual harassment and the reporting of it can be. I'm also sorry you went through that. Thanks for your willingness to share. As someone in management I've been in the position of reporting sexual harassment and essentially seeing someone get away with it. As a psychotherapist I've heard innumerable reports of harassment (with both women and men as targets) and witnessed how much it truly messes with heads. That high-profile folks like Weinstein are being exposed and suffering consequences is a good development. But this is a huge systemic problem that needs a lot of exposure and action, especially the willingness of men and people in power to call out the attitudes and behaviors, both subtle and overt, that feed this problem.

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:36 pm

I’ve never been harassed in the workplace. I’m sorry for what you both went through.

Return to “The People”