Broadcast News
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Back to the Future
The Truman Show
Shakespeare in Love
Victor/Victoria
High Fidelity
American Hustle
Last edited by Kellens101 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
mlrg
Associate

Re: WGA's 100 Funniest Screenplays

Post by mlrg »

You should save a spot for a movie from The Monty Python. Any movie, just pick your favourite because they should be on this list
Kellens101
Temp

Re: WGA's 100 Funniest Screenplays

Post by Kellens101 »

Tootsie and Some Like it Hot, without a doubt two of the greatest, funniest comedies ever and ones with perfect screenwriting!
The Original BJ
Emeritus

WGA's 100 Funniest Screenplays

Post by The Original BJ »

This month, the WGA is asking its members to vote on the 101 Funniest Screenplays, to be published in a list similar to their list of the 101 Greatest Screenplays a few years back. And, as I am now a card-carrying WGA member...I get a ballot! I have until April 30th to submit my choices, and as I go about doing so, I thought I might enlist some of my favorite film historians (i.e. you guys) to help me.

Here's basically how the ballot works: I get to submit 15 titles, in no particular order. All films must be over one hour in length (no shorts), must have been released theatrically first before they aired on television, and can include silent, animated, and documentary films (as well as screenplays not written under WGA contracts.) The only really exemption is that screenplays written in a language other than English cannot be included.

I'm not necessarily looking for anything in particular from you guys -- if some people are interested in posting their personal top 15, that would be of interest. If others are interested in talking about what some of their choices might be and why, that would be of interest too. Even in just starting to think about possibilities, some interesting questions arise. There are comedies that I think are pretty wonderful that I remember more for their moving dramatic moments than necessarily big belly laughs (City Lights would immediately come to mind.) And then there are movies that I think are genuinely laugh-out-loud funny but that I wouldn't at all consider among the most all-time memorable works of screenwriting (like, say, Airplane!) And then there's the question of whether or not, with only 15 slots, one should spread the wealth among screenwriters to give support to a wide range of different types of films, or if folks like Woody Allen, Billy Wilder, and Preston Sturges deserve to be cited multiple times.

I've got a month to come up with my titles, but if anyone wants to make a case for any of their favorites, I'm all ears! (And if no one is, then no worries.)

Return to “Other Film Discussions”