Laureate Emeritus

Re: Gene Hackman vs. Robert Duvall vs. Dustin Hoffman

Post by Reza »

Hackman.
MovieFan
Graduate

Post by MovieFan »

OscarGuy wrote:I might have also picked Hoffman if we restricted performances to early career, but his stuff in the last two decades has been almost unwatchable. Robert Duvall is ok, but after The Apostle, I just can't watch him anymore.

With Gene Hackman, even his schlock performances in movies like The Birdcage are fun and he doesn't seem to have given up on acting the way Hoffman (save Wag the Dog really) has. Or Robert De Niro.
Its a shame Hackman has retired, I hate that his last performance was in Welcome to Mooseport. I think he still has some great performances in him. I actually think he can do comedy more effectively than Hoffman, when you look at his work in the Superman movies, Young Frankenstein and The Royal Tenenbaums, he can do broad and subtle effectively and brilliantly
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I might have also picked Hoffman if we restricted performances to early career, but his stuff in the last two decades has been almost unwatchable. Robert Duvall is ok, but after The Apostle, I just can't watch him anymore.

With Gene Hackman, even his schlock performances in movies like The Birdcage are fun and he doesn't seem to have given up on acting the way Hoffman (save Wag the Dog really) has. Or Robert De Niro.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

That's like asking who'd you vote for for President, Bernie Sanders, Rick Perry or Michele Bachman. One great actor vs. two others I'd be perfectly happy never to see again. (The great actor is, of course, Gene Hackman.)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Gene Hackman by a landslide.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hoffman in his younger years.
MovieFan
Graduate

Gene Hackman vs. Robert Duvall vs. Dustin Hoffman

Post by MovieFan »

Apologies if this is situated in the wrong area, but which one of these great actors do you prefer? All 3 were friends in their struggling days, and have very dissimilar acting styles, Hoffman being the more chameleon of the 3. I love all 3 but Hackman is my overall favorite, hes the perfect combination, of character actor, star, great screen presence, likeability and natural.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”