Film Club

ksrymy
Adjunct

Re: Film Club

Post by ksrymy »

I'd be more than happy to participate.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

I am looking forward to participating in this as well.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

We'll probably start this up in August for a September discussion. Since Sabin was the first response, we'll let him pick the first film. We have one participant from my site so far out of the seven who've shown interest. Hopefully, we'll pick up more.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Should there be a theme (director, writer, genre, time period, etc.) for each time around the circle...or should we attempt to leave it as random as can be? This would give the potential for In the Mood for Love to be followed by Cat on a Hot Tin Roof followed by White Hunter Black Heart
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Just caught this. Seems like a fine idea. I think we would want to limit selections tofilms available on Netflix as that seems to be most people's principal source.

Picks by decade would be good. We might limit selections to films at least ten years old. Selections should be made by members in the order in which they express interest, wouldn't you think?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Do we want to restrict genres? How old a film do we want to limit it to? Do we want to do rounds within a specific decade (such that each person suggests a specific film from a set period and after everyone's selected, we move to a new period)?

I hope no one minds having the discussions on my website, since I'd like to keep this in public view to allow others to chime in if they want.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Seems like a perfectly fine idea to rotate the selections around the group...I don't think in a situation like this we have the ability to worry which films certain members have seen or not, per se. The discussion can still be lively and someone's view having seen it years back may differ today, etc. It seemed some of the most popular choices for Oprah's club were East of Eden and the summer Faulkner series...so choosing a film of Citizen Kane's ilk should be no matter.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I would say let each participant take turns picking. Either that, or everyone suggests a title (something that is reasonably easy for everyone to access) and the participants all vote on which one to go with.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'll probably post to invite people from my website as well.

Here's the question. How should we sort it out? Obviously picking something famous like Citizen Kane would be kind of pointless since most everyone who would participate has seen it.

Has anyone participated in a book club and know how they typically select books?

Would we go with newer movies? Older movies? or a mixture?
Wesley Lovell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I'd be interested too.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Sounds like it could be fun!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I'd give it a whirl
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Yeah, I'd be interested.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Film Club

Post by OscarGuy »

Would anyone be interested in this kind of event? You wouldn't have to buy the film, just get it from Netflix or rent it, but it would work just like a Book Club where you pick one movie each month to watch and then come together to discuss it? I'm thinking about starting something like it for my site. Ideas?
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Other Film Discussions”