Final Jeopardy Question

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

My first thought was Jack -- I immediately thought of Easy Rider and knew I was right -- but then the "Leading Men" reference almost threw me off (since the Easy Rider nod was for Supporting). Still, I woulda written it down, because I knew my second guess -- Al Pacino -- wasn't right at all. No way I woulda thought of Caine!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

And while no actress has accomplished it (Hepburn skipped the 70s, and Streep will have to be nominated next decade for 5 in a row), the only one eligible this decade for 5 consecutive is Vanessa Redgrave. A long shot, but maybe the movie she is making with Peter O'Toole will have some potential.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

My first thought would have been what five decades are they talking about? The 1950s through the 1990s? The 1960s through the 2000s? I guess they mean the last fifty years as in 1966 through 2005, in which case Jack Nicholson comes immediatey to mind. Al Pacino would have been my second guess, but by the time I remembered he hasn't been nominated in the last ten years, I wouldn't have had time to think of Michael Caine. Paul Newman would have been my guess if they had said five of the last six decades since I knew he was not nominated between 1967 and 1981.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Jack Nicholson immediately came to mind as I thought about current day people who were active back in my childhood days. But the way the question was framed is confusing -- I wasn't sure if the "last five decades" encompasses the 2000s or stopped at the 1990s, which is literally the last decade as opposed to the current decade.

Michael Caine also popped into my head, but probably not quite within 30 seconds.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

rain Bard wrote:What was the category the question was announced to be in before the contestants made their wagers, Mister Tee?
"Leading Men"

(which is actually a bit misleading, since several of the relevant nominations were in the supporting category)
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Those were the two names that came to mind (both within 30 seconds) but I wasn't confident about either until reading your replies. I wouldn't be surprised if under the pressure of the cameras I'd have drawn a complete blank.

What was the category the question was announced to be in before the contestants made their wagers, Mister Tee?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Mike Kelly wrote:Back in 2001 I thought that Gene Hackman would be the first since Olivier to receive an acting nomination 5 decades in a row when he was a good bet for The Royal Tenenbaums, but that didn't happen. The next year both Nicholson and Caine made it.
Beatty and Hoffman would also share the distinction were they to get cited over the next four years.

Beatty's feat would be truly impressive, as he has no extra nods -- he's accumulated just one per decade.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

30 seconds is just a very limited time for a question like this, where first you need to focus on which decades are involved (I hear "five decades", and at first I think of the 50s), then come up with a name, and finally review the history to see if it matches on all counts. (This process is, of course, only available to those of us who've spent so many years poring over Oscar books that we have the stuff in our heads)

My first thought was Newman -- and that was the answer two of three contestants gave (the other said Brando) -- but, as I said, I then did a quick mental recap and realized he'd be missing the 70s. I did come up with Jack next, but would I have had time to write it down? Iffy. (Caine would have been way down on the list, for me)

Since I'm a person who knows the Oscars backwards and forwards, I'd have to rank this one of the more challenging Final Jeopardy questions in some time.
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

Back in 2001 I thought that Gene Hackman would be the first since Olivier to receive an acting nomination 5 decades in a row when he was a good bet for The Royal Tenenbaums, but that didn't happen. The next year both Nicholson and Caine made it.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I posted that and the other came to mind. Michael Caine. Never would have gotten that in 30 seconds, though.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Paul Newman didn't have a nomination in the 1970s. Nicholson is one answer...I have no idea who the other is.

Tripp
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Jack Nicholson came to my mind right away; but, if I was on the show, I would have had to just cross my fingers and write it down. I wouldn't have had the time to run my memory of his nominations through my mind.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Who is Paul Newman would have been my answer...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I don't think there are many Jeopardy watchers around here, but yesterday's Final Jeopardy answer/question was Oscar-related, and might interest people.

Start by stipulating: it's something many of could come up with, given substantial time. But the Final Jeopardy time limit is 30 seconds. I initially came up with an incorrect guess, then did a mental review, realized my error, and in the end came up with a correct response -- but I can't swear I'd have had time to write it down, which contestants must do.

Anyway, here's the "answer", in the category Leading Men, to which you must supply the question:

One of two actors Oscar-nominated in each of the last five decades.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”