[BB] Best by Best Game - The Continuation

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I agree with OG; my wish is that this be as reflective of the global cinematic arts as possible, especially considering we have so many members from around the world on the board (most of the participants in this game are in the US, though we do have Greece, Pakistan and Argentina represented; maybe we can convince our members from Italy, Finland, Israel, The Philippines, Australia, etc., to join the game...).
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Murmur of the Heart is a 1971 film.

Among the eligible original screenplays are The Discreet Charm of the Bourgoisie, Fellini's Roma, The Candidate, The Culpepper Cattle Company, Junior Bonner, J.W. Coop, The King of Marvin Gardens, Lady Sings the Blues, Young Winston, Avanti!, Heat and Images.

Then tell me why it was nominated for the Academy Award in 1972?
Because it was released in L.A. a year after it was released in the rest of the world, including New York.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I say no foreign language film. It sends the message that only American-made films deserve separate recognition...and if they are eligible in Best Picture, there's no reason for a Foreign Language Film category.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The rule for this game is year of release in country of origin as opposed to the other contest in which the rule is year of Oscar eligibility, making both Aguirre, teh Wrath fo God and Last Tango in Paris eligible in 1972 for purposes of this game.

I don't know why we can't have a foreign film category for this game if we're going by date of release in country of origin as opposed to the murky rules of Oscar eligibility within that category for the other contest, but that would necessitate a rules change.

Also, if we're going to have a foreign film category then we shuldn't be allowed to have our cake and eit it, too. Anyone choosing a foreign film for their best picture choice should not be allowed to make an additoinal nomination for best foreign film. I would suggest if we have a foreign film category then we limit best picture nomiantions to English language films but that would probably go against the grain of some of the participants.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Is 'Last Tango in Paris' from 1972 or 1973? I know its Oscar eligibility was in 73.

Also, what year is 'Aguirre' eligible?

Edited By Sabin on 1212262020
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

What about a separate Foreign Film category? Or do we just bunch all films in the Best Picture section?

Edited By Reza on 1212258405
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hustler, the object of the game is to add to those already listed, not second a nomination already made. Almost all your selections have already been made by others. I know you have more you can add.

Please review here: http://www.oscarguy.com/cgi-bin....t=10361
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Best Picture
Cabaret

Best Direction
Luis Buñuel, Le Charme discret de la Burgeoisie

Best Actor
Marlon Brando, The Last Tango In Paris

Best Actress
Liv Ullmann, Cries and Whispers

Best Supporting Actor
Joel Grey, Cabaret

Best Supporting Actres
Eileen Heckhart, Butterflies Are Free

Best Ensemble
The Godfather

Best Original Screenplay
Le Charme discret de la Burgeoisie

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Godfather

Best Original Score
Last Tango in Paris

Best Original Song
Ben

Best Editing
The Godfather

Best Cinematography
The Last Tango In Paris

Best Art Direction
Cabaret

Best Costume Design
The Godfather

Best Makeup
Cabaret

Best Sound
Cabaret

Best Sound Effects
The Godfather
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Yes, there's a Best Ensemble at the SAG awards.

The category was intended for work outside of the standard categories, such as Best Titles Sequence, Best Stunt Coordination, Best Scene, Best Choreography, Best Adapted Song, Best Adapted Score, etc.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
barrybrooks8 wrote:For "Special Citation", maybe we could include small roles that don't even seem big enough to include in the Supporting category.

Good idea, but I don't think any of these roles are "special" enough to warrant a citation unless it's for someone who appears in multiple "small" roles within a given year.

I would suggest instead that we add a regular category and call it best cameo. Maybe Morgana King or Al Martino in The Godfather would be a good candidate for this year.

Manolis, "the supporting cast" of Sleuth might warrant a special citation. Let's not forget Margo Channing as the wife.
All this time I thought the special citation category meant a special career / honorary award to an individual. And here we are talking about cameo appearances etc. Which is it?

Is there also a category of Best Ensemble cast a la the SAGs?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Big Magilla wrote:Murmur of the Heart is a 1971 film.

Among the eligible original screenplays are The Discreet Charm of the Bourgoisie, Fellini's Roma, The Candidate, The Culpepper Cattle Company, Junior Bonner, J.W. Coop, The King of Marvin Gardens, Lady Sings the Blues, Young Winston, Avanti!, Heat and Images.
Then tell me why it was nominated for the Academy Award in 1972?
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

barrybrooks8 wrote:For "Special Citation", maybe we could include small roles that don't even seem big enough to include in the Supporting category.
Good idea, but I don't think any of these roles are "special" enough to warrant a citation unless it's for someone who appears in multiple "small" roles within a given year.

I would suggest instead that we add a regular category and call it best cameo. Maybe Morgana King or Al Martino in The Godfather would be a good candidate for this year.

Manolis, "the supporting cast" of Sleuth might warrant a special citation. Let's not forget Margo Channing as the wife.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

In a parallel universe my choices would be

Alec Cawthorne as Inspector Doppler in 'Sleuth'

The 'Butter' in 'Last Tango In Paris'
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

For "Special Citation", maybe we could include small roles that don't even seem big enough to include in the Supporting category. I have always wanted to include a category of these in my year-end lists, but there never seems to be enough. Some that come to mind for me include Allison Janney in Juno, Allison Janney in American Beauty, Betty Buckley in Carrie, Kirstie Alley in Deconstructing Harry, Joel Grey in Dancer in the Dark, Dan Ackroyd in the House of Mirth, and a guilty pleasure movie, Jeanene Garafolo in Romy and Michele's High School Reunion.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Murmur of the Heart is a 1971 film.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”