[BB] Best by Best Game - The Continuation

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You know. On second thought, I think it becomes more of a game if there's only one pass through. We had talked about two passes through, but it's no longer a game if we just get to add ad infinitum to the list. The strategy if you go early is to make sure your favorites get in because there's no guarantee someone else down the list will/won't put it in. Thus, Bob Fosse had that fate befall him.

But, I think we need more than a few opinions on this matter.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think two passes should be enough and it seems like your idea would triple the time we have to play this game, which was going pretty quickly originally.

I don't think we should go beyond "number of players" personally. It would make it too difficult to keep track of, IMO.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I like even numbers so the original idea made sense when there were 10 players, but now that there are 11 I say go to a maximum of 12.

However, the way we get there is flawed. People are straining to come up with nominations. I think for the second pass we should allow each player in order to add one choice in any category with less than 12 nods and go around a third time to allow the fill-in of any of the top six or eight categories that still have room. The idea being that some may have seen only a handful of films from a given year and have seen all their faves already included, whreas others may have seen just abotu every film made that year and have other choices not yet picked.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

No. We have two things that need to be done first.

1) A decision made on whether a second pass through allows players to add names to the list to bring the total to the number of participants or if everyone who's already gone has done what they'll do and the second pass only allows the players to bring the totals to the minimum of 10.

2) The second pass needs to be completed first.
Wesley Lovell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

So do we now proceed to the next year?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The point of permitting a max of the number of players was to allow everyone the chance to put something in. However, if someone doesn't want to, I didn't think it was fair to allow someone else to put something in for them.

However, I'm very amenable and while the original rule was as I stated, if people want to permit the field to be expanded to the number of players and then allow players who already went make insertions if someone else doesn't in the second round, then I guess we can do that.
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Fosse is the glaring omission. Troell may do better in 1971 when Teh emigrants is actually eligible here. Mankiewicz and John Huston (Fat City) were veterans that should have been cited in a list of ten, but you can't have everything.

Ross deserved the nod even if her subsequent career has been less than stellar. Page was far better in other things, but the hapless Tyrrell should have singled out by someone. Caine, Winfield and Albert I'm ambivalent about.

Nice to see not only Aguirre, the Wrath of God and Solaris do so well, but Butterflies Are Free, The Ruling Class and 1776, too.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

So in the big categories we actually snubbed the following actual nominees (even though we had 5 more nominees in each category)

Sounder
Deliverance
The Emigrants

Bob Fosse - Cabaret
Joseph L.Mankiewicz - Sleuth
Jan Troell - The Emigrants

Michael Caine - Sleuth
Paul Winfield - Sounder

Diana Ross - The Lady Sings the Blues

Eddie Albert - The Heartbreak Kid

Geraldine Page - Pete n'Tille
Susan Tyrrell - Fat City

and the screenplays of
Sounder and Pete n'Tillie

Impressive director line-up even though Fosse is missing
Bergman vs Coppola vs Allen vs Hitchcock vs Tarkovsky vs Bunuel vs Herzog vs Wertmuller
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Big Magilla wrote:Rudeboy, best director already has ten. Hitchcock and Tarkovsky were inadvertantly put on the same line making it look like there were only nine entries.
So it has - ah well, Play It Again Sam is a writing/acting film first and foremost.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yeah, I picked up on those two for sound and costume design. 11 was my suggestion, but it was vetoed by Oscar Guy. Maybe if you had gotten to go yesterday when it was still your birthday, he'd have made an exception. Maybe he'll make one for Reza today, since it's his birthday. :;):
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Big Magilla wrote:Manolis, you can only add to those categories that have less than ten nominees.

I thought that since there are 11 players, there were supposed to be 11 nominees in each category.

Anyway if that's not the case i'll only fill the following categories

Original Screenplay
State of Siege

Costume Design
Ludwig

Special Citation
The cleverness of the marketing of 'Sleuth'

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1212489781
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Rudeboy, best director already has ten. Hitchcock and Tarkovsky were inadvertantly put on the same line making it look like there were only nine entries. Also, rainBard's selection of Aguirre, Wrath of God for best sound hadn't been added. Sorry.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1212489714
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Manolis, you can only add to those categories that have less than ten nominees.

I think you need to re-word your citation for Sleuth, something along the lines of "the cleversness of the marketing of Sleuth" as opposed to citing its non-existent supporting cast.

You, or someone else, might also want to give a citation to Bob Fosse for his choreography of Cabaret since his direction has been snubbed.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1212489162
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Picture
Sleuth

Directing
Bob Fosse - Cabaret

Actor
Alan Bates - A Day In the Death of Joe Egg
(if that is ineligible then Michael Caine - Sleuth)

Actress
Helen Mirren - Miss Julie (a phenomenal performance but was it ever released in cinemas? If it's ineligible then Goldie Hawn - Butterflies Are Free)

Original Screenplay
A State of Siege

Cinematography
Ludwig

Art Direction
Ludwig

Costume Design
Ludwig

Special Citations
The cleverness of the marketing of Sleuth

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1212489754
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

I really don’t have much that I feel strongly about to add, but have added to a few categories with less than ten currently listed.

Best Direction
Herbert Ross, Play It Again, Sam

Best Actress
Diane Keaton, Play It Again, Sam

Best Original Score
Bad Company

Best Editing
Play It Again, Sam

Best Cinematography
Aguirre, the Wrath of God

Best Art Direction
Aguirre, the Wrath of God