[BB] Best by Best Game - The Continuation

Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

So now rudeboy has to 'take back' his last additions and add only 1 nomination to a category that has less than 11 nominees?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Right. In the second round, players can add 1 nominee to 1 category that has yet to reach its maximum. Thus, the year in question comes to an end when either both rounds are completed or all categories are filled to their maximum number, which ever comes first.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think that's what I suggested in the first place.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't think that poster meant to increase the number category to double the number of players. I think the number of players should still be the category max. I think what he was intending to say was. After the first pass, everyone gets to add one film/individual to a category that isn't closed (meaning it's at the game maximum of # of players). They only get one such insert and that's it, then it moves on to the next person.

If this is an agreeable option, then we'll go back to the beginning of this turn order to allow those before me on their second pass to add something if they see fit.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

It was me; and in the second round, I used "1 film/performance" as shorthand for: if you wanted to add Stella Stevens in Supporting Actress, you could do that, or, instead, you could add Frogs to Best Cinematography, you could do that.... :p
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Here was a suggestion forwarded to me by PM and it is almost identical to Magilla's initial suggestion.

I think it should be set to the number of players; in the first round, we enter nominees in every category (or every category we are comfortable filling); in the second round we enter 1 film/performance in 1 category. Then close the year out.

As it is from a PM, it is up to the writer to claim it, but I post it here without name for sake of completeness.
Clear and concise. I agree. One go-around, then everyone gets to add one film or performance or I would suggest, director- no minimum or maximum per category. If we have 11 players and all have picked a film in round one and another film in round 2 then we have 22 in that category and 11 or less in the others though I doubt it will be that lopsided.

My additional pick for the second go-around in this game would be in the supporting actress category unless someone else picks the one I'm thinking of first, then I'd go to best actor.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here's another PM response:

This is getting a bit complicated but i'll try to answer

1) Should the maximum number of entries in each category be set to the number of players or to an even number greater or equal to the number of players?

The maximum should be either set to the number of players or to this number plus 2 (no more than that)

2) Should there be a minimum of 10 nominees in all categories?

There should be a minimun of 10 in the big6 categories only.

3) If the minimum/maximum is not met, should we take additional turns to fill the categories giving everybody an additional (or multiple additional) opportunity to have input?

The first people in the list get to fill in the categories that the minimum/maximum isn't met.

4) If we take additional turns, how many extra do we have before we close the year (this means that the number of names in each category, if below the maximum remains after said turn)?

If the minumum/maximum isn't met after the first and the additional turn of every player, the year should be closed.

5) On additional turns, do we take one or two?

Only one

6) If we take two, should we allow the first extra turn to allow each player to make one additional submission? Should that be a second pass? How should these work?

And now, perhaps I should clarify. When I said minimum, I was meaning that if we had fewer players than 10, the minimum number of maximum entries would be 10.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here was a suggestion forwarded to me by PM and it is almost identical to Magilla's initial suggestion.

I think it should be set to the number of players; in the first round, we enter nominees in every category (or every category we are comfortable filling); in the second round we enter 1 film/performance in 1 category. Then close the year out.

As it is from a PM, it is up to the writer to claim it, but I post it here without name for sake of completeness.
Wesley Lovell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

1) The maximum number of entries in each category should be set to a maximum of 10, no matter the number of players.

2) I agree with the minimum of 10 nominees in all categories

3) If the minimum/maximum is not met, we should take additional turns to fill the categories giving everybody an additional opportunity to have input.

4) If we take additional turns, I suggest one more turn per participant.

Edited By Hustler on 1212526567
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ok. I'm sending the following to all players in the game by mail and I hope to get responses here. This should answer all of our lingering questions.

There is currently a discussion going on in the Best By the Best game that needs input from all participants regarding some of the nuances of the game.

1) Should the maximum number of entries in each category be set to the number of players or to an even number greater or equal to the number of players?

2) Should there be a minimum of 10 nominees in all categories?

3) If the minimum/maximum is not met, should we take additional turns to fill the categories giving everybody an additional (or multiple additional) opportunity to have input?

4) If we take additional turns, how many extra do we have before we close the year (this means that the number of names in each category, if below the maximum remains after said turn)?

5) On additional turns, do we take one or two?

6) If we take two, should we allow the first extra turn to allow each player to make one additional submission? Should that be a second pass? How should these work?
Wesley Lovell
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

I think 2 choices per player is a bit too much. It's between 10 and 12 nods for me. Don't have a problem with either.

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1212522167
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I appreciate that you want to make the game more inclusive, after all, I was complaining that the previous games weren't inclusive enough, but we have to remember this is a game. It's not a definitive list. If we wanted to do that, we would want the entire board's participation and would likely do something a little more detailed and it would take a much longer time to complete.

And, I would say we some day SHOULD put together such a list, mayhaps even publish...but that would be a long time from now and would require a great deal of effort. I think we should also wait for these various games to come to a close before we tackle the idea, which I think is a good one that definitely merits work.

And let's also wait for more input from the players. Right, we have the opinions of only 4 of the 11 players, which is not entirely representational.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1212522054
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Whatever. I don't know why I bother, you guys just shoot down my ideas anyway.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I agree, OG, one pass-thru gives one more of an attempt at strategy.

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I like that second thought, it reminds me of an earlier post. :D
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “Other Film Discussions”