[NE] Nomination Elim Game ('79- OSCARGUY)

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't want to limit the categories. Though, the three changes per turn each in separate categories would work...

If everyone's agreeable, we can start that on my turn.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I agree. Or limiting the catagories in certain years.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

At this rate, yes it will. Maybe we could speed it up by having everyone make two or three changes in different categories, of course, on their turn.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

This game will take us years to finish.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I going to replace 'Cleopatra' with 'Man From Aran' in the Best Picture catagory.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think in cases where the number of nominees exceeds five we should leave it as is - for example, the 12 nominees for best picture of 1934. The same would therefore be true for best actress of 1935.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The difficulty is in deciding what to do with excess nominees? I mean it's unfair to take a 6-nomineed category and let whomever is last to be saved/eliminated to be automatically eliminated just because we're applying different standards. It would be nearly impossible to adjudicate. Thus, if we leave it as the existing number of nominees (per Academy records) and just Replace/Preserve/Rescue, then we have very little headache in applying the rules. Otherwise, we're just going to get into arguments on how it's done...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Academy records do NOT list Bette Davis as an actual nominee. They list her, but her "footnote" specifies that she was a write-in candidate.

I'll start a poll, I guess...
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

flipp525 wrote:Gee, this year really needed a female supporting category. Besides Fredi Washington, who is absolutely devastating as the light-skinned young woman trying to pass for white in Imitation of Life and Louise Beavers, who plays her mother in the same film, I can think of several other actresses who deserved award recognition that year.
I can see not having the supporting categories, though I think we should, since the category wasn't created until the reforms of 1936, but supporting performances since the advent of talkies, certainly since 1930, and especially in the 30s and 40s, were often more interesting than the leading performances, however not having five nominees in the lead acting categoreis is just plain silly. When we get to 1935, if we follow the strict rule of matching number of nominees we will have four best actor nominees and six best actress nominees in one of the weakest years for lead actresses all because of a fluke - tie votes.

1934 and 1935 were both years in whcih the Academy allowed write-in votes precipitated by the fact that the membership was unhappy that Bette Davis was not among the skimpy three nominated for best actress for Of Human Bondage. Myrna Loy allegedly also got a fair share of votes for The Thin Man. Academy records have now been updated to show Davis as an actual nominee.

Anyway, Jack, where are you?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Jack is up.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I am removing Viva Villa from the best Picture category and replacing it with Of Human Bondage

Edited By Hustler on 1206673295
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's your turn, Hustler.
Wesley Lovell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Gee, this year really needed a female supporting category. Besides Fredi Washington, who is absolutely devastating as the light-skinned young woman trying to pass for white in Imitation of Life and Louise Beavers, who plays her mother in the same film, I can think of several other actresses who deserved award recognition that year.

For my turn, I'll preserve Imitation of Life's spot in the Best Picture line-up, a film which in several ways is superior to the Lana Turner version.

Edited By flipp525 on 1206628356
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Powell any day!!!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

There are only two ways to right it - either rescue him by eliminating Clark Gable or expand the category to five. Since the latter would appear to be against the rules we have to choose between Gable and Powell.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”