[NE] Nomination Elim Game ('79- OSCARGUY)

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OK:

I'll add The Thin Man to Art Direction

I'll preserve W.S. Van Dyke for Director

I'll replace Operator 13 in Cinematography with Dames

Sabin, you are up next
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I was getting a different error. I changed the length of posts to 500kb to see if that fixes the problem.

This hasn't work. I've put in a request for support at Ikonboard's site because I've gotten those errors before and then they stopped and now they're back again and I don't know what's causing them.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1206971622
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

It's not letting dws post in the Peneloscar game, and when I tried to post for him, I got this message

Not Acceptable
An appropriate representation of the requested resource /cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi could not be found on this server.

Apache/1.3.41 Server at oscarguy.com Port 80

Edited By Okri on 1206965170
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Thanks, BJ. I was going to add "I Only Have Eyes for You". Instead, I'll use my turn to preserve Best Picture nominee The Barretts of Wimpole Street; add Myrna Loy in The Thin Man as the fifth best actress nominee and rescue/add The Gay Divorcee's art direction as the fourth nominee in that category.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1206959252
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I have to be honest -- this three-at-a-time thing is proving rather difficult for me (especially given that 1934 isn't exactly a year I'm tremendously familiar with). So I'll be totally boring:

I preserve Clark Gable's terrific comedic performance in It Happened One Night.

I add the delightful Sons of the Desert script to Original Story.

And I add "I Only Have Eyes for You" from Dames for Best Song.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Paging Original BJ.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Sorry I'm behind...

In Best Director, I'll add Josef Von Sternberg for The Scarlett Empress.

In Best Actor, I'll Rescue/Add William Powell for The Thin Man.

In Best Adaptation, I replace Viva Villa with Imitation of Life.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

jack wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Fyi, Robert Flaherty's landmark documentary about the harsh existence of Irish coastal fishermen and their families is called Man of Aran, not Man From Aran.

Sorry. Typo.
No problem. I only mentioned it in order to alert Oscar Guy to correct the record.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Big Magilla wrote:Fyi, Robert Flaherty's landmark documentary about the harsh existence of Irish coastal fishermen and their families is called Man of Aran, not Man From Aran.
Sorry. Typo.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Great! The changes make a lot of sense and beign able to make three changes per turn shuld speed the game up considerably.

The song The Continental is quite catchy but to be really appreciated it must be seen in context in The Gay Divorcee. The twenty minute long sequence with is unforgettable silhouettes dancing around the lamp shade while all of Brighton seems to be dancing in the ballroom is pure magic.

Fyi, Robert Flaherty's landmark documentary about the harsh existence of Irish coastal fishermen and their families is called Man of Aran, not Man From Aran.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Now for my turn.

I'm going to Rescue/Add Claudette Colbert for It Happened On Night. She was absolutely wonderful in this masterpiece.

I'm going to Preserve It Happened One Night in Adaptation. An exceedingly well written screenplay.

I'm going to Preserve "The Continental" for Song. I tried a number of years ago to listen to all of the winners in this category. Sadly, there were some I never could find, but this one I did. While I'm not a fan of the style of music, this song was quite catchy and interesting.

DWS is up next.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

OscarGuy wrote:Rules Update
1) Each player will make Three Replace/Preserve/Rescue changes each turn. No more than one change can be made per category per turn.
2) In categories with fewer than Five nominations (excluding Makeup, Visual Effects and Sound Effects), a player may take an Add action by adding a nominee to the list. You can use your Replace action to make an Add or you can Add a non-original nominee. (For 1934 only, you can Rescue a previously-eliminated original nominee without losing your once-per-year Rescue action per the mid-year rules change).
Based on the poll results and a lack of objection to another potential rule change, I have edited the original post in this thread to amend the rules as quoted here.

The 1934 Rescue Add rule is put in place so as not to be unfair to the original nominees that were eliminated prior to the rule change.
Wesley Lovell
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

In Art Direction - Hans Dreier for The Scarlet Empress over The Gay Divorcee.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm fine with that.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I'll be the second (after Magilla) to say yes to that.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”