[NE] Nomination Elim Game ('79- OSCARGUY)

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

A question, I don't know if it's been addressed: how are we to determine year of release for foreign films or long-delayed projects? When I compile my Oscar Shoulda-beens, I just go by the initial year listed at IMDb, regardless of when it was released in the U.S.

Two examples come to mind: first is Army of Shadows, which is technically a 1969 release, but wasn't shown in the U.S. until 2006; then there's White Dog, which is technically a 1982 film, but, aside from some film festival showings, has never had a commercial release in the U.S.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

"I'm In the Mood for Love" has already been added in...the rest are good choices also.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I prefer the latter option.

Among the rich possibiliteis for best song nominations are "Have You Ever Seen a Dream Wlaking?" from Sittign Pretty; "I'm in the Mood for Love" from Every Night at Eight; "Let's Fall in Love" from Let's Fall in Love; "The Object of My Affecdtion" from Times Square Lady and "On the Good Ship Lollipop" from Bright Eyes"

Original Story - Queen Christina

Scoring - three by Herbert Stothart: Queen Christina, The Barretts of Wimpole Street and Viva Villa!; two by Alfred Newman: The Count of Monte Cristo andThe House of Rothschild

Editing - all five listed for scoring as well as The Lost Patrol: It Happened One Night and Dames

Art Direction (then called Inetrior Decoration) - same five as listed for scoring as well as Dames, Death Takes a Holiday and The Affairs of Cellini

Cinematography - any of the above not already so nomianted

Sound Recording - any of the above plus Flirtation Walk and Here Coems the Navy
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here are two options for calling a year finished. What do you guys think? If all nominees in all categories have been Preserved, the game ends even if there are additions left to be made. OR You can pass your turn on to the next player if you are unable or unwilling to make further changes. Until all players pass, the game year continues.

Also, since it's clear that Sound Recording may end up unfinished (simply because of our three-turn rule), you do not have to make all three changes and can pass one or two of them if necessary. Then, dependenent on the above, you may be able to pass all three.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

As I know relitivly nothing about this year in film, I'll preserve three random nominees:

Preserve The Thin Man in Adaptation
Preserve One Night of Love in Scoring
and Preserve One Night of Love in Film Editing
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Categories have been filling up. The following categories still have space to make changes:

Original Story
Adaptation
Song
Scoring
Film Editing
Cinematography
Art Direction
Sound Recording

Please check out the Results page before making any changes to make sure you're able to make the change.

Results
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

1) Massacre replaces Flirtation walk in Best Picture category.
2) Add John Ford (The Lost Patrol) in Directing.
3)Rescue Ben Hecht in Viva Villa! in Adaptation.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Edited...
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Hate to do this to you, Flipp, but you can't make two changes in Best Picture. You have to make your three selections in three different categories.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1207169858
Wesley Lovell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Three changes Flipp.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Preserve Cleopatra for Best Cinematography
Preserve One Night of Love for Best Picture
Preserve Scott Beal for Assistant Direction of Imitation of Life

Edited By flipp525 on 1207187383
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Paging the Flipp.
Wesley Lovell
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Preserving The Thin Man for Best Picture[/b].
Replacing "Carioca" with "I'm in the Mood for Love" for Best Song (Every Night at Eight)
Preserving One Night of Love for Best Sound Recording.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote:Well, it would be up to everyone. If we think we cannot reasonably judge Assistant Director, then we can eliminate it as an option.
I say can it.
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, it would be up to everyone. If we think we cannot reasonably judge Assistant Director, then we can eliminate it as an option.

But, Paging Okri...
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Other Film Discussions”