[PO] Penelope's Elimination Game

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The Original BJ wrote:Color Cinematography, 1945.
Since Flipp has not responded and it has been over 48 hours, the game can continue if Okri takes on this category.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Color Cinematography, 1945.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The Original BJ wrote:Flipp, take Supporting Actress 1946.

I, too, gave this category to rain Bard (below) who said he had already given the award to Lillian Gish in May.

You need to give Flipp another category and maybe he will further update the results page.

Edited By Reza on 1250476398
The Original BJ
Emeritus

For all the times it would seem wonderful to have had an Oscar ballot, there are plenty of other times in which it would be pretty challenging to pick a winner. That's how I feel about B&W Cinematography '45, for which I've seen all the nominees but The Keys of the Kingdom. The other four are all good, but I don't think any stands head and shoulders above the others.

So I won't use a pass and preserve The Picture of Dorian Gray, even though it's a good-looking film.

The Lost Weekend has some cool expressionistic touches, but it's an even bigger triumph of writing and acting.

Spellbound is obviously lesser Hitchcock, but it has some striking visual flourishes, particularly in the Dali sequence.

And the photography in Mildred Pierce helps establish a lot of the noir-meets-family-drama style for the film.

Today I lean Mildred Pierce, but on another day, it could have easily been any of the others.

Flipp, take Supporting Actress 1946.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Walter Huston takes it.

OBJ: how 'bout best B&W cinematography, 1945
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

rain Bard wrote:I already gave this award to Lillian Gish back in May.
It appears the results page needs more updating.

Anyway, take on Best Supporting Actor 1942 instead.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I already gave this award to Lillian Gish back in May.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Film Editing 1974

Blazing Saddles
Chinatown
Earthquake
The Longest Yard
*The Towering Inferno

The great Sam O'Steen gets it for Chinatown.

RainBard: Best Supporting Actress 1946
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Well, it appears I don't have a pass so Jaws loses its sorely deserved Oscar for Best Film Editing. That means it's between Dog Day Afternoon, The Man Who Would Be King, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and Three Days of the Condor. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest admirably pieces together what had to be an incredibly improvisatory and arduous task, but Dog Day Afternoon is the superiorly paced work. I give it to Dog Day Afternoon.

Next up, Reza gets Best Film Editing from 1974.
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Hmm, I had forgotten how lackluster this lineup was. Eastwood did far and away the best job here, but I am not sure if I want to use my last pass on him. Payne and Scorsese have done much, much better work, I can't stand Ray, and Vera Drake isn't my favorite Mike Leigh. Still, I'll move the award over to Leigh...he deserves one of these.

Sabin: Film Editing 1975
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

HarryGoldfarb wrote:However, I have always wondered how come Part of your world wasn't nominated. A beautiful song, filled with such delicate images, with that longing appeal... It would have gotten my vote.
I'm with you. I think Part of Your World is the most beautiful song in The Little Mermaid, and would have voted for it over both nominees (both of which are, admittedly, excellent, as is the delicious Poor Unfortunate Souls.) Lovely score.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

"After All" from Chances Are -- Music by Tom Snow; Lyric by Dean Pitchford
"The Girl Who Used To Be Me" from Shirley Valentine -- Music by Marvin Hamlisch; Lyric by Alan Bergman and Marilyn Bergman
"I Love To See You Smile" from Parenthood -- Music and Lyric by Randy Newman
"Kiss the Girl" from The Little Mermaid -- Music by Alan Menken; Lyric by Howard Ashman
* "Under the Sea" from The Little Mermaid -- Music by Alan Menken; Lyric by Howard Ashman

I just heard "After all"... for the first time ever in my life. Such a beatiful song (I kinda felt pretty much Jack McFarland-like just by listening to it :D )... an automatic aquisition to my ipod.

"The girl who used to be me"... another first time-heard song. Austin's voice is great, the song is a nice one but not great in my immediate esteem.

This would have been a more deserving win for Newman. "Love to see you smile" is a typical Randy Newman song, but a fresh one. I really like it and it's like the basis of all his future succes.

However, Menken and Ashman did the definitve work of the year.

"Under the Sea" is a very unusual song for a win. It's the up-tempo/feel great song from the film... the main event. Its complexity and its richness are every music lover's paradise. The orchestrartion work is superb and the fact that it features an unexpected calypso/Trinitarian mood is a plasent mark. But the overexposure has hurt it in my esteem... after a lot of years of repeated listenings it gets.. childish.

I find "Kiss the Girl" to be more listenable after repeated times. I give it the award.

However, I have always wondered how come Part of your world wasn't nominated. A beautiful song, filled with such delicate images, with that longing appeal... It would have gotten my vote.

FilmFan... Director 2004

YouTube-ing the nominees I just found the Academy Award performances of the TLM's songs. How poorly done was that...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

mlrg wrote:Cinemanolis, take Best Original Screenplay 1984
*Places in the Heart
Splash
Beverly Hills Cop
El Norte
Broadway Danny Rose

I still can't believe how Beverly Hills Cop was nominated. Because of it's box office i guess. I don't think Broadway Danny Rose is one of the better Woody Allen films, so El Norte gets this.

HarryGoldfarb: Original Song 1989
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

OscarGuy wrote:MRLG: 1955, Motion Picture Story

http://www.oscarguy.com/Oscars/Annual/28th/Oscar.html
I give it to Rebel without a Cause

Cinemanolis, take Best Original Screenplay 1984
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Other Film Discussions”