[PO] Penelope's Elimination Game

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I know this isn't the point of the game, but I'm gonna use another pass here. I really like The More the Merrier and The Ox-Bow Incident, but I mean - it's Casablanca! (Though I thought we were sticking with 1944 onwards).

Oscarguy, Best Picture of 1992.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I'm going with Bette Davis (All About Eve), eliminating Judy Holliday (Born Yesterday) - just to give Eve more of a sweep for the year.

Okri - Best Picture 1943
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Damn, I'm totally happy with Wilder winning (I haven't seen Sons and Lovers or The Sundowners) but I don't really want to use a pass this early. Ok, I'll give it to Hitchcock for Psycho and hope someone else makes it up to Wilder, perhaps for Sunset Boulevard (the one category I could have gone either way between Eve and Boulevard -- the rest I would give to Eve).

Zahveed: Best Actress, 1950.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Why wait? We've been adding people in the middle of rounds, so you can come after Sabin and before dws.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

What the heck, can I join next round?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

FilmFan720 wrote:So, I am going to replace him with the Great James Mason, underrated in A Star is Born. Let the arrows start flying.
Not from me; while I do think Brando is terrific in Waterfront, I also think James Mason--even in the shadow of Judy Garland's spectacularly great performance--is marvelous and heartbreaking in A Star is Born.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Well, Pen. Talk about making enemies, you have hit a soft-spot for me. I have never understood the Brando obsession, and while he is very good in On the Waterfront (and it may be the best of the nominated performances), I can't see using a pass on a performance I don't love. I am holding on to them for those I can't see part.

So, I am going to replace him with the Great James Mason, underrated in A Star is Born. Let the arrows start flying.

Akash, Best Director 1960
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Emily Watson was wonderful in Breaking the Waves. It was a heartbreaking performance. It's a good replacement choice, Pen.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Frances McDormand was the best choice that year, but I don’t want to use another pass just yet; Kristin Scott Thomas is Supporting, Brenda Blethyn is annoying and Diane Keaton—while genuinely wonderful in the otherwise unexciting Marvin’s Room—will hopefully be honored elsewhere. So I’m going, believe it or not, with the one performance here I’ve not seen: Emily Watson; I’ve never read a negative comment about her performance and I’ve liked her in other stuff, so why not?

FilmFan: Best Actor 1954

Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Eric wrote:This one's not going to win me any friends, but All That Jazz, which I prefer to both Cabaret and 8 1/2.
That's why I chose you for it, Eric
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Eric wrote:She'll have to lose a little bit more weight to play Jackie Robinson, I'm afraid.
Yes. The only woman she should be thinking about is Jenny Craig.

Ok, I cribbed that from Weeds. Love you Elizabeth Perkins!
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I love you Eric...I might actually have made the same choice, although I also love Apocalypse Now.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Bog wrote:Round two to Eric- Best Picture 1979
This one's not going to win me any friends, but All That Jazz, which I prefer to both Cabaret and 8 1/2.

Penelope: Best Actress, 1996.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Bog wrote:I go with Gillo Pontecorvo over Sir Carol Reed
I would've done the same; Reed's direction of Oliver! is pretty near perfect, but so is Pontecorvo's Battle of Algiers.

Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I'm guessing this will tear you up, likely a pass would have been issued for Picture, where Oliver! was the good winner for this batch no doubt, I don't think I need to leave Reed for director, and this was a very good year here, though not necessarily one that was recognized at the Oscars- Leone, Godard, Romero, Cassavetes, Polanski

This isn't where I would want Kubrick either

I go with Gillo Pontecorvo over Sir Carol Reed

Round two to Eric- Best Picture 1979

Return to “Other Film Discussions”