[PO] Penelope's Elimination Game

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

OscarGuy wrote:No offense meant, Zahveed...I can also send you categories that anything you picked would probably be a better choice than what was made (like Best Picture 1995...). I just think it will add flavor if we're not sending to the same people every time.
I like the bizarre stuff, keeps me on my toes.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

OscarGuy wrote:And Penelope, I think we should do the same in a new thread but remove nominees instead and then when all the categories have new slates, we can then select winners. :) Or perhaps have the other one as an "empty" slate of nominees and each person, in rotation, adds a nominee to the list until we have 5 in each category.
That's an interesting suggestion; but also in-depth--perhaps we can finish this game, and then try that after this year's Oscars.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

No offense meant, Zahveed...I can also send you categories that anything you picked would probably be a better choice than what was made (like Best Picture 1995...). I just think it will add flavor if we're not sending to the same people every time.

And Penelope, I think we should do the same in a new thread but remove nominees instead and then when all the categories have new slates, we can then select winners. :) Or perhaps have the other one as an "empty" slate of nominees and each person, in rotation, adds a nominee to the list until we have 5 in each category.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

OscarGuy wrote:How often are we going to change up the order? Because I'm gonna get stuck sending categories to someone who's tastes I don't know very well, which means I'm going to have to lob him bizarre categories I don't care about...
Ah yes, the everyday life of the new guy is realized.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Let's have dws and rudeboy take their turns, then we'll change the order; then, we'll change the order every 3rd round.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

How often are we going to change up the order? Because I'm gonna get stuck sending categories to someone who's tastes I don't know very well, which means I'm going to have to lob him bizarre categories I don't care about...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

I'll play.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Akash wrote:So do I have to go back to the top of the list? I'm counting on you Pen.
Actually, dws is next, and then I come after him. Do you still want Best Director '89 for him?

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Ooh good one Eric. I like both Scorsese's film and De Palma's film, but hopefully Foster will keep her Oscar for Lambs in this game -- and anyway Laurie is more deserving -- so I'll go with Piper Laurie in Carrie.

Hmm, this game involves a minimal amount of cool strategy since you have to also "know" the person you're passing a category off to (if it's something you yourself would like to see "changed").

So do I have to go back to the top of the list? I'm counting on you Pen.

Penelope: Best Director, 1989.

Edited By Akash on 1196670761
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Okri wrote:Eric, Best Cinematography for 1997.
I almost swapped Titanic out for Gattaca because I was so sure it was nominated, but it was not. I haven't seen Kundun in its entirety so, even if what I have seen of Deakins' work checks out pretty good, and even if I'm very much a non-fan of the film itself, I have to give it to Spinotti for L.A. Confidential.

Aakash: Best Supporting Actress, 1976.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

dws1982 wrote:Can I get in on this at some point? It sounds fun.
No problem! :D

You're now after Akash.

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Can I get in on this at some point? It sounds fun.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Looks like I'm gonna have to use a pass. I'm not switching to Firth (he's leading and sabatoged by Lumet) or Guinness. I never got through more than thirty minutes of The Turning Point. So, I'm sticking with Robards - he's just someone I love to watch. I wish I could've seen his stage work.

Eric, Best Cinematography for 1997.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Wow, this is a tough category. I am not a Vivien Leigh lover (although this is probably her best work), and I'm not going to waste a pass on her. Parker and Winters are both excellent, but are also both supporting roles. I will probably have to go with Hepburn.

So, I replace Vivien Leigh with Katherine Hepburn (giving one of her sweetest performances).

Okri, since we haven't had a Best Supporting yet, Best Supporting Actor 1977.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

So I guess...is this something you have a beef with?? hell, I don't know what's going on with this category, but I don't wanna use a pass on this song, I'm going with replacing The Thomas Crown Affair with Star!

ok, FilmFan...let's go with Best Actress 1951

Return to “Other Film Discussions”