[PO] Penelope's Elimination Game

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

well, after she finishes work on her debut Studio Album, she'll be appearing in Winged Creatures (2008) and Sex and the City: The Movie (2008). I know you'll scoff, Akash, but you implied she wasn't getting work, but it appears she's got two films set for next year and her album is due out Q1 2008.

She's also in talks to star as Aretha Franklin in her biopic and has expressed interest in appearing in the remake of the Jackie Robinson Story.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Penelope wrote:Barazza gave the best performance--at least she offered up a range of emotions, even if it all didn't make any sense.

Barraza was phenomenal in last week's episode of ER. She played a cleaning woman who was falsely accused of being responsible for a man's arm getting mangled in a piece of machinery which consequently led to its amputation. The man's son went after her son and killed him. It was a heartbreaking and affecting performance.

Edited By flipp525 on 1196820732
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

The more I think about it, the more I despise everything Inarritu does in Babel. But yes, by default, and at least Barraza is an otherwise real actress. Speaking of which, what has Miss Hudson done since her Oscar win? Oh right...

Edited By Akash on 1196800181
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Eric wrote:Yeah, I was pretty much in Barazza's corner by sheer default.
I suppose I was, too. I couldn't get excited about any of the nominees (Blanchett, especially, seeing that she was in the wrong category); and while Kikuchi has the best story in that silly movie, Barazza gave the best performance--at least she offered up a range of emotions, even if it all didn't make any sense.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

At least the noms are being blasted and not me. It's like being grazed by a bullet.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Yup, supporting actress last year was surely an all-time low. Hudon's sweep would have irritated me a lot more in any other year, with another contender or two I could at least have gotten behind. Blanchett was probably my favourite, and I never thought I'd say that. I guess Barazza did what she could, but the acclaim for Kikuchi is beyond me.

Edited By rudeboy on 1196752273
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Yeah, I was pretty much in Barazza's corner by sheer default.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Zahveed wrote:Let's see. I don't want to use a pass yet, so I'm going out on a very thin and unstable limb here - I eliminate Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls) and replace her with Rinko Kikuchi (Babel).
Oh, now I remembered why I stopped caring about Hudson's win. All the other nominees sucked hard too.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Eric wrote:Man, talk about nailing it. This is probably one of the two or three most difficult categories for me to pick a winner for the supremacy of multiple candidates.
That's what I was going for, Altman perfection and similar to Aakash's thoughts, I hope that Kubrick and Fellini are honored with our game as well, so if Eric had chosen them, it would have been gratifying as well
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Let's see. I don't want to use a pass yet, so I'm going out on a very thin and unstable limb here - I eliminate Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls) and replace her with Rinko Kikuchi (Babel). I wonder how that pill goes down...

Okri: Best Lead Actor in 1995
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Shit, we're making each other mad in certain circumstances. *glares at Akash*
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Poor Zahveed, he is being drawn into all the heated debates. He will make friends and enemies real quick around here:)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Akash wrote:Zahveed: Best Supporting Actress 2006. Why not?
This will be interesting; another case of where does Zahveed stand on the divide....
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

So am I still doing Best Director 1980? I love Scorsese and I'd love to give it to him here, but hopefully he'll get it elsewhere (please PLEASE someone give me the chance to do Director 1988) and besides, I have to make sure Lynch gets something. So David Lynch for The Elephant Man

Zahveed: Best Supporting Actress 2006. Why not?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

That's ok, Eric. I woulda passed on that, too. Now, it'll be interesting to see how somebody else will go.

Edited By Penelope on 1196718099

Return to “Other Film Discussions”