Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Horsemen (2009) 3/10
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Precious Doll wrote:
Hustler wrote:Drag Me to Hell (Sam Raimi) 6/10 Funny movie! You can´t imagine how much did I laugh!
I agree. Very funny and gross at the same time. Great to see Raimi going back to his cinematic roots. The highlight for me was the goat spouting profanity. Priceless.
Agree. And I would add the family reunion sequence.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Hustler wrote:Drag Me to Hell (Sam Raimi) 6/10 Funny movie! You can´t imagine how much did I laugh!
I agree. Very funny and gross at the same time. Great to see Raimi going back to his cinematic roots. The highlight for me was the goat spouting profanity. Priceless.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

mlrg wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Down to Earth (1994) Pedro Costa 7/10
wow! This is a very hard to find portuguese/cape verde film....

are you trying to see every film ever released? :)
Got this from DaaVeeDee. I have been wanting to see Pedro Costa's work for sometime now and Gone to Earth is my first.

There is a box set available of 4 of his more recent films, with English subtitles, but I haven't had any luck yet tracking down a seller.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I mean I probably need to watch it a few more times to catch the nuances that Sabin was referring to. I couldn't make a connection with the characters like I could with many other Allen works. It's gorgeous to look at though.

I felt the same, Zahveed, when I first saw it. I was perhaps a little younger than you, but I just found them to be at times weird, off-putting, and engaging in behavior that I found distant. I don't mean to sound condescending but I've found that improved my ability to love Manhattan was the years I've put on and the number of complicated relationships. It's a movie about timing. The whole thing takes place in the middle of an affair between a very supporting character (Murphy) and Diane Keaton. It's ostensibly *their* story. But by shuffling the focus to Keaton and Allen, it changes its scope, becomes a larger, vaster portrait of how love rolls into and over other people, how you get trampled by it. Manhattan never calls attention to this, which is its genius. Woody Allen gets a big speech at the end, but it's less about clarifying the theme than telling off a hypocrite friend he's found himself latching onto all these years in lieu of taking a chance on things. The Woody Allen character in Manhattan is, I believe, the purest distillation of his persona. He's obnoxious, fringe, he's always being viewed from outside sources rather than in Annie Hall where he actively redefining his universe. And Diane Keaton sorely deserved her one career Oscar for this movie as a far, far more complicated woman.

More so than Annie Hall, Manhattan is the movie of Woody Allen's oeuvre that people have been copying the most for years. Every filmmaker wants to remake Manhattan. It's worth noting that Woody Allen hated the film and told United Artists (?) that he would make the next movie for free if they just disposed of it. It may not have cleaned up at the Oscars but he won the most directing awards from critics of his career (in a year of Apocalypse Now! amongs others no less). I think 1979 has to go on record for most egregious cinematography snubs. Neither The Black Stallion nor Manhattan were nominated.
"How's the despair?"
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Drag Me to Hell (Sam Raimi) 6/10 Funny movie! You can´t imagine how much did I laugh!
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Reza wrote:
Zahveed wrote:Manhattan - 8/10

I still couldn't make a connection with a lot of the characters though. This is probably one to stew over.
I'm curious.....what do you mean by this?
I mean I probably need to watch it a few more times to catch the nuances that Sabin was referring to. I couldn't make a connection with the characters like I could with many other Allen works. It's gorgeous to look at though.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970; Billy Wilder) 6/10

The Wilder/I.A.L. Diamond wit is present, but not nearly enough; Robert Stephens and Colin Blakely make a terrific Holmes and Watson, but the mystery is pretty obvious from the start; and the much mentioned homosexualizing of Holmes is contradictory--there's a great scene near the beginning where it's implied that Holmes loves Watson (Stephens plays this scene marvelously), but then the film turns around and wants us to believe that Holmes' relationship with Gabrielle (Geneviève Page) was some great affair of the heart, but it's not convincing. Terrific art direction, though.

Edited By Penelope on 1249926409
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm with Manolis on G.I. Joe. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting and had surprisingly sufficient character development (something largely lacking from Hackmeister Michael Bay's films). It still had some very lame dialogue at times, Marlon Wayans was a waste and the plot was about as childish as the excessive explosions and camera jostling. And for some reason, I kept thinking Sienna Miller was Marie Wilson.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Precious Doll wrote:Down to Earth (1994) Pedro Costa 7/10
wow! This is a very hard to find portuguese/cape verde film....

are you trying to see every film ever released? :)
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra 5/10
Suprisingly this was not as bad as i expected. Sienna Miller had some very good lines.

Adam 6/10
Hugh Dancy was very good and the story believable.

Antichrist 3/10
A lot of the technical stuff were excellent. The first 10 minutes is cinematic poetry, but from then on... the guy is sick.

The Boat that Rocked 6/10
The story is entertaining, the cast is wonderful and the soundtrack is awesome. But this is not the Oscar material some people expected it to be. Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson appear for 5 minutes each and there isn't really a standout from the rest of the cast.

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1249906084
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Zahveed wrote:Manhattan - 8/10

I still couldn't make a connection with a lot of the characters though. This is probably one to stew over.
I'm curious.....what do you mean by this?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Down to Earth (1994) Pedro Costa 7/10

Beautiful Kate (2009) Rachel Ward 2/10

Drag Me to Hell (2009) Sam Raimi 6/10

Nana (1955) Christian-Jacque 2/10
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Live and Let Die (Guy Hamilton) - 7/10
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

(500) Days of Summer - 9/10

Bittersweet, quirky, funny, and a good soundtrack.

Manhattan - 8/10

This was much better than the time I watched it, half asleep. Beautifully shot and well written. I still couldn't make a connection with a lot of the characters though. This is probably one to stew over.

Edited By Zahveed on 1249781411
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “Other Film Discussions”