The White Ribbon 8/10

Fish Tank 8/10

Taking Woodstock 6/10
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Embodiment of Evil (2008) Jose Mojica Nielsen 2/10

Mermaid (2007) Anna Melikyan 1/10

Russia's entry for the foreign language category last year.

Free Jimmy (2006) Christopher Nielsen 6/10

I viewed the English language version which was quiet entertaining but have read that the original Norwegian language version is better.

Little Ashes (2008) Paul Morrison 2/10

Seraphine (2008) Martin Provost 9/10

The Other Side of the Underneath (1972) Jane Arden 6/10

Van Dieman's Land (2009) Jonathan Auf Der Heide 4/10

Edited By Precious Doll on 1254124150
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

dreaMaker wrote:Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch, 2001)

9/10

Wow. That was absolutely bizarre, surreal and brilliant.
Had you never seen it before? I wish I could go back and relive that film for the first time again!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sissi: The Young Empress (1956; Ernst Marischka) 6/10

Empress Elisabeth (Romy Schneider) battles her domineering mother-in-law (Vilma Degischer) amidst the politics of Austria's unification with Hungary. Not quite as focused as the first film, but still a grand pageant.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch, 2001)

9/10

Wow. That was absolutely bizarre, surreal and brilliant.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Capitalism: A Love Story (Moore) - 6/10
"How's the despair?"
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Sabin wrote:
I'm afraid that with Bad Education and this one we're witnessing a new dead end direction in which he examine Cinema – in general, but mostly his own. One might call it academic, but I'd choose the term futile.
Really? Bad Education a "new end direction"? I think it's great.
While gorgeously executed, Bad Education was Laws of Desire redux - slicker, grander yet lacking the raw energy and rage (and Carmen Maura) of the original. Both BEs are perfectly disappointing fine movies.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Reza wrote:
Uri wrote:And can someone explain to me how the moderately looks wise, talent wise and charisma wise gifted Cruz became this Grand Diva?
Volver
She was not bad in Volver, but part of her success in it was exactly the fact that she was believable as a small time diva, the local, blue collar neighborhood's Sophia Loren wanabe. In that case her shortcomings were perfect for the role. In Broken Embraces she's supposed to be the real McCoy. Unfortunately, she's not.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The Boys in the Band (1970; William Friedkin) 8/10

I last saw this film about 20 years ago, when I first came out. It horrified me. Today, I was in a funky mood--I had planned to watch the second film in the Sissi trilogy (which I have from Netflix), but a (presumably) frothy Austrian romance wasn't what I needed. So, I walked down to the gay DVD rental place a few blocks away, saw this and said, yeah, I need to see it again.

A different reaction this time, probably because I'm older. I still don't completely identify with the more "tortured" characters (especially Michael)--I suspect I'm more a Larry than anybody else in the film, if I had to cast myself. But it didn't horrify me. Instead, I saw it as a period piece, a moment in time, a snapshot of a transitory period, bridging a gap, as it were, between the closeted, "shameful" pre-Stonewall era and the liberated, in your face post-Stonewall era.

I think Mart Crowley's narrative structure isn't a complete success: the first half of the film comes across as naturalistic and believable, but the second half--the telephone game--seems a bit contrived and plot-driven.

Yet, somehow, it works. I'm not sure if it's Friedkin's direction or the intense performances of the cast--I'm inclined to think it's the latter. Each performance is pitch-perfect, thoroughly calibrated and superlative.

It's a movie I can admire now...not quite love, but admire.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm afraid that with Bad Education and this one we're witnessing a new dead end direction in which he examine Cinema – in general, but mostly his own. One might call it academic, but I'd choose the term futile.

Really? Bad Education a "new end direction"? I think it's great.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Uri wrote:
Hustler wrote: And can someone explain to me how the moderately – looks wise, talent wise and charisma wise – gifted Cruz became this Grand Diva?
If you find out, let me know.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Uri wrote:And can someone explain to me how the moderately looks wise, talent wise and charisma wise gifted Cruz became this Grand Diva?
Volver
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Hustler wrote:Broken Embraces (2008) by Pedro Almodovar.
Uh! I have mixed feelings about this one. Not the Best Almodovar I´ve seen so far. 5/10

Agreed. One of my least favorite Almodovar too. His career can be divided into chronically distinctive phases – the raw enfant terrible up until Laws of Desire, the stylish enfant terrible, culminating with Kika, the reflective, relatively introverted and very personal transformative phase (my favorite) of The Flower of My Secret and Live Flesh. And then, with Mother, Talk to Her and Volver he turned into the universally accepted Grand Maestro. I'm afraid that with Bad Education and this one we're witnessing a new dead end direction in which he examine Cinema – in general, but mostly his own. One might call it academic, but I'd choose the term futile.

And can someone explain to me how the moderately – looks wise, talent wise and charisma wise – gifted Cruz became this Grand Diva?

Edited By Uri on 1253982543
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Broken Embraces (2008) by Pedro Almodovar.
Uh! I have mixed feelings about this one. Not the Best Almodovar I´ve seen so far. 5/10
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

dreaMaker wrote:District 9 (Neill Blomkamp, 2009)

8/10

Very very good and original.
Agree with you, Dreamaker! An outstanding movie

Return to “Other Film Discussions”