Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

/One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest/ (dir. Milos Forman) - 10/10
So...yeah.

I haven't seen this one since high school and I was bracing myself for an overrated, Oscar-winning bore. Nope. Loved it to the point where I felt my fingers on Nurse Ratchdt's throat. What this film botched though (more specifically, what Forman botched) is the build before one of the All-Time Greatest Scenes of My Life...where Mac finds out that everyone there is a voluntary! He flips his shit so hilariously and the scene snowballs from there...and it's oddly muted. Weird.

This film is pretty glorious. I love it. Louise Fletcher has no business being nominated for Best Lead Actress though, let alone winning. She's pretty good but this is clearly a supporting role.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

kaytodd wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:1956-Columbia wanted to campaign Rosalind Russell in Picnic in support. Russell howled and was not nominated in either category.
Damien briefly discussed this episode in Inside Oscar. Roz called the idea of her being nominated in the supporting category (and I think it was a genuine supporting performance) "carpetbagging." A carpetbagger is defined an "an opportunistic and exploitative outsider." Interesting. She was a major star with many leading roles to her credit when she decided to take a supporting role in what was probably a prestige project. But, I guess because of her status as a movie star, she saw competing for a supporting Oscar against actors who regularly play supporting roles as "opportunistic and exploitative." Interesting way to look at it.
That was pretty much the thinking in those days.

Interestingly the actress who created the role on Broadway was nominated the following year for a part she was lucky enough to reprise on screen and eventually won an Oscar for reprising another role she created on Broadway. That was, of course, Eileen Heckart.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Big Magilla wrote:1956-Columbia wanted to campaign Rosalind Russell in Picnic in support. Russell howled and was not nominated in either category.
Damien briefly discussed this episode in Inside Oscar. Roz called the idea of her being nominated in the supporting category (and I think it was a genuine supporting performance) "carpetbagging." A carpetbagger is defined an "an opportunistic and exploitative outsider." Interesting. She was a major star with many leading roles to her credit when she decided to take a supporting role in what was probably a prestige project. But, I guess because of her status as a movie star, she saw competing for a supporting Oscar against actors who regularly play supporting roles as "opportunistic and exploitative." Interesting way to look at it.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Amadeus (Milos Forman, 1984)

10/10

Tremendous.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Damien wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Ghost Catchers (1944) Edward F Cline 2/10
Precious, how did you see Ghost Catchers? It was one of my favorities as a kid and I saw it numerous times on Saturday afternoon TV, but haven't seen it in at least 40 years.
Movie unlimited have it for sale. The print quality is not the best though. VCI have released it, maybe from an old T.V. print.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

I blind bought For a Lost Soldier on ebay a few years ago, eventually watched it and absolutely hated it. I found it ugly and dull and it left a very bad taste... all of this love has convinced me to give it a second shot...

On a more positive note, a very satisfying Saturday for me:

A Man Escaped (1956) - 8
The Times of Harvey Milk (1984) - 8

Edited By rudeboy on 1248548440
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Precious Doll wrote:Ghost Catchers (1944) Edward F Cline 2/10
Precious, how did you see Ghost Catchers? It was one of my favorities as a kid and I saw it numerous times on Saturday afternoon TV, but haven't seen it in at least 40 years.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Precious Doll wrote:The Limits of Control (2009) Jim Jarmusch 1/10

I've always been indifferent to Jarmusch but this is a career low for him and I found it torturous to sit through. Such a shame too to see the likes of Tilda Swinton, Bill Murray, John Hurt and in particular Hiam Abbass wasted.
I like some Jarmusch, but I agree, this was fairly brutal (the sort of movie that garners interesting and thought-provoking defenses but still can't dissuade me my antipathy).

Caveat: didn't find Tilda Swinton wasted, rather found she was fighting valiantly against the odds.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Sabin wrote:Tell me more of 'Secret of the Grain'. I do hear it's something of a gem and that Hafsia Herzi was incredibly good.
Everyone is great. I don´t know if you had the chance to see any other Kechiche´s movies.
He has a direct style with long scenes (the movie lasts 2 hours and a half) in which every detail is exposed with instensity. The performances rich the level of excellence.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Public Enemies (Michael Mann) - 8/10
Rachel Getting Married (Jonathan Demme) - 8/10
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Limits of Control (2009) Jim Jarmusch 1/10

I've always been indifferent to Jarmusch but this is a career low for him and I found it torturous to sit through. Such a shame too to see the likes of Tilda Swinton, Bill Murray, John Hurt and in particular Hiam Abbass wasted.

Cheri (2009) Stephen Fears 4/10

Something of a mess but thankfully very short and easy to watch. The film is widely uneven jumping from drama to comedy in the flash of any eye. Pfeiffer and Bates give performances to match the material, though it's hardly their fault. However Rupert Friend is simply terrible. A sullen presence who gives a one note performance.

Ghost Catchers (1944) Edward F Cline 2/10

Anchoress (1993) Chris Newby 7/10

Incendiary (2008) Sharon Maguire 4/10

The Bear and the Doll (1969) Michel Deville 2/10

For the record you can count me as another fan of For a Lost Soldier. Wish someone would pit out a decent DVD of it though.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

The best actor lineup of '67 is indeed one of the best ever. (Personally, while I think that acting wise Newman was probably the best, I'd go with Hoffman for a performance which not only is a career defining one, but a perfect emblem of the particular time and generation it represented). And they got that lineup right because they were aware (I use this term liberally, I know) it was the Oscars and not the Noble prizes. Let's face it, while being a reasonably fine actor, Poitier's acting, certainly in he's 3 outing that year, was not particularly interesting or intriguing. I don't blame him, since as oppose to his self proclaimed successor, Mr. Washington, the restrictive dignified aura he had about him was a product of the certain era he was operating in and not, I think, that of a personal over worth or vanity, but it did limited him artisticaly.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Penelope wrote:For a Lost Soldier (1992; Roeland Kerbosch) 8/10

As usual, I'm probably being too generous; after all, the cinematography is kinda gauzy and the framing device--choreographer has a creative block--is a bit silly in presentation; additionally, I've heard that the book the film is based on (an autobiographical novel) has a different take on the subject matter. Oh, what it's about: a 13 year old boy in WWII Amsterdam is sent to the seaside to have a more stable existence; Canadian soldiers liberate the village and the young boy, already beginning to realize his homosexuality, has an affair with a 20-something soldier.

The film treats the love between them in a tender way, which is where I hear the difference between the book and the film lie: the book reportedly has the soldier be more predatory, though still developing feelings for the boy. Nevertheless, the film is affecting and though it handles the material with a slight distance, one can't help but feel that this was a great love, at least for the boy, a formative experience that has a very bittersweet climax.
I love that movie. It is so humane and has such a generosity of spirit.

Mason always referred to it as "The Chicken and the Soldier." :)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Ed Wood - 9/10

My first time seeing this movie in ten years and also first time in widescreen. There's a lot of subtlety in this film that you don't see in more recent Burton films and the performances are excellent. I never hear anything mentioned about Murray when this movie is brought up, but he's one of the highlights even if it's a fairly minor character.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Tell me more of 'Secret of the Grain'. I do hear it's something of a gem and that Hafsia Herzi was incredibly good.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Other Film Discussions”