Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Most Important Thing: Love (1975) Andrzej Zulawski 7/10

Abigials Party (1977) Mike Leigh 6/10

Hank and Mike (2008) Matthew Klinick 1/10

Chrysalis (2007) Julien Leclercq 2/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I Love You, Beth Cooper- absolutely zero

I cannot even recall the last time I've walked out on a movie in the theater. I'm embarrassed that I even chose this but I had nothing to do but chill for 4 hours and it was pouring rain and the only theater in this area was one of those nasty multiplexes where the UAADBiest film is Public Enemies (done) so it was this shit or Transformers or Ice Age 3, both of which might actually qualify as better filmmaking.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:Given the from-hunger quality of the best actress slate as it was, it's painful to even consider who might have taken a fifth available slot. Karen Black in Day of the Locust? Streisand in Funny Lady? The least offensive choice by far would have been Florinda Bolkan in a Brief vacation -- who was actually on the short list -- but, with Jackson, Adjani and Kane already there for wee pictures, I'm not certain another could have prevailed over something from a studio.
Bolkan was my choice over Ann-Margret in lead; Barbara Harris in Nashville was my choice over Vaccaro in support.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
mlrg wrote:
Sabin wrote:Louise Fletcher has no business being nominated for Best Lead Actress though, let alone winning. She's pretty good but this is clearly a supporting role.
Agreed

Isabelle Adjani should have won
If Louise Fletcher had instead been nominated in the supporting category wonder who she would have bumped off the nominee's list and who would have taken her slot in the best actress category?
I agree Isabelle Adjani gave the year's best performance by a lead actress in 1975, but there's no way Louise Fletcher would have been nominated in support after all the hullabaloo preceding the nominations.

Her role had been conceived as a major star turn and was offered to Jane Fonda, Anne Bancroft, Ellen Burstyn, Geraldine Page, Colleen Dewhurst, Angela Lansbury and just about every middle-aged actress in Hollywood, all of whom turned it down. Had any of those then very big stars played the part it surely would have garnered them a lead nomination, not a supporting one. To add insult to injury, Burstyn, who won the year before for Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore went on national TV and said they should suspend the best actress award that year because of the lack of good roles for women, which had all the columnists wondering whether she would have thought so if she had in fact played Nurse Ratched herself.

In addition, Lily Tomlin's role in Nashville had been written by and for Fletcher whose husband Jerry Bick was Robert Altman's producer. When the two men had a falling out Altman fired Fletcher even though she had nothing to do with the argument. Fletcher clearly had sentiment on her side.

But to answer the question, if they had relegated her to support, the one to have been bumped would have been either Sylvia Miles or Brenda Vaccaro, probably Vaccaro.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Reza wrote:
mlrg wrote:
Sabin wrote:Louise Fletcher has no business being nominated for Best Lead Actress though, let alone winning. She's pretty good but this is clearly a supporting role.
Agreed

If Louise Fletcher had instead been nominated in the supporting category wonder who she would have bumped off the nominee's list and who would have taken her slot in the best actress category?
I'd assume Vaccaro or Miles, the weakest of the nominees, would have been bumped, but you never know with the Academy -- for all I know, Ronee Blakely (who was as valid for a lead nomination as Fletcher) would have been the unlucky one.

Given the from-hunger quality of the best actress slate as it was, it's painful to even consider who might have taken a fifth available slot. Karen Black in Day of the Locust? Streisand in Funny Lady? The least offensive choice by far would have been Florinda Bolkan in a Brief vacation -- who was actually on the short list -- but, with Jackson, Adjani and Kane already there for wee pictures, I'm not certain another could have prevailed over something from a studio.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

mlrg wrote:

Agreed

Edited By Reza on 1248703589
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Le Sauvage (Jean-Paul Rappeneau, 1975) 3/10

Silly chase film that goes on and on although the two leads - Yves Montand and Catherine Deneuve - are quite appealing. I was surprised to find Tony Roberts and Dana Wynter in supporting roles.

Fort Saganne (Alain Corneau, 1985) 5/10

Gerard Depardieu and Phillipe Noiret are both excellent in a story set in the Sahara desert about the French Foreign Legion. Filmed on an epic scale, it has beautifully photographed (shot by future director Bruno Nuytten) battle scenes in the desert but the script is dramatically uneven and at 190 min the film is simply too long. The two female stars both come off badly. Sophie Marceau is stiff while Catherine Deneuve looks and seems too modern for the period the film is set in (pre-WWI).
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Damien wrote:Edith Scob can currently (and gloriously) be seen as the mother in Summer Hours.
Yes, she's wonderful. Do we know if Summer Hours is eligible for the Oscars? I'd so love to see her nominated for Supporting Actress.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Penelope wrote:Eyes Without a Face (1960; Georges Franju) 7/10

Well done but a bit too leisurely paced, making it more tense than scary or even thrilling; but Alida Valli and (especially) Edith Scob are terrific and the finale does pack a wallop.
Edith Scob can currently (and gloriously) be seen as the mother in Summer Hours.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Eyes Without a Face (1960; Georges Franju) 7/10

Well done but a bit too leisurely paced, making it more tense than scary or even thrilling; but Alida Valli and (especially) Edith Scob are terrific and the finale does pack a wallop.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

The Hurt Locker - 7/10

The scenes that work are really good, but most of it is a series of tension builds. The combat is pretty realistic and the film's metaphor works nicely too.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

/Forgetting Sarah Marshall/ (dir. Nicholas Stoller) - 6/10
It's fine.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Catching up on a batch of recent Netflix-ers:

La Guerre est Finie -- Resnais portrait of a professional revolutionary that manages to be both tense and melancholy. I'm glad I didn't see it when it first came out (when I was 15); I wouldn't have remotely comprehended it. Today I respond to its sense of futility (a guy still trying to undermine Franco three decades after his victory!) but also its nobility.

Cadillac Records -- minor but enjoyable. Unlike many here, I've never much responded to Adrien Brody, but I thought he scored well here. And Beyonce showed far more acting ability than she did in Dreamgirls. Great music, unsurprisingly.

Brighton Rock -- OK, though I sometimes have trouble stomaching Graham Greene's religiosity, especially when it makes characters (like the ingenue) behave in ways I consider imbecilic. Cool ending. Oh, and they never mention what the title means. My recollection, from reading the book about 40 years ago, is it referred to candy sold on the boardwalk.

Paranoid Park -- Gus van Sant intertwines a noir-ish situation with his usual obsessions. I don't think the style -- esp. the frequent long, aimless walks -- works as well as it did in Elephant. But a solid effort.

Le Plaisir -- does anyone know if there are variously edited versions of this film? I'm aware the narration changes based on the print, but I read one write-up that mentioned the longest, brothel/first communion section of the film as closing out the work, where it was the mid-point of what I saw. Anyway...Ophuls is truly a one of a kind; his use of space is just beyond any other director's I can think of -- and it's not just tracking shots to show off, but shots that reveal character in unique ways. I don't rate this quite on the level of La Ronde or Earrings of Madame de, but I wouldn't have missed it.

Edited By Mister Tee on 1248647797
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Agreed

mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Norma Rae (1979) - Martin Ritt

8/10

A very deserving oscar win for Sally Field (although I haven't seen The Rose yet)

Return to “Other Film Discussions”