Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Adam (2009) Max Mayer 6/10

Eden is West (2009) Costa-Gavras 4/10

Young Victoria (2009) Jean-Marc Vallee 6/10

Picture Snatcher (1933) Lloyd Bacon 4/10

L'aimee (2007) Arnaud Desplechin 5/10

Hedy Lamarr - Secrets of a Hollywood Star (2006) 6/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Niagara (Henry Hathaway) - 7/10
Return of the Secaucus 7 (John Sayles) - 6.5/10
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Another two jewels:
1) Tulpan (Sergei Dvortsevoy) (2008) 8/10 Won Un Certain Regard in Cannes Film Festival
2) Kirschblüten/Hanami (Cherry Blossoms) (2008) 10/10. A subtle and intense love story directed by Doris Dorrie.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

flipp525 wrote:Lars and the Real Girl; dir. Craig Gillespie (2007) 8/10

This film was such a little pleasure. From the way the entire town started to embrace Bianca and adopted her because of their love for Lars to the many costume changes (where was a costume nod for this?) It's difficult to capture an authentic contemporary Midwestern style of dress without veering into parody and I felt like that was achieved here (along with some nice touches, such as the blanket his dead mother had made that Lars used as a scarf).

Ryan Gosling is in that "Heath Ledger" vein of acting. He seems to really get inside the minds of these characters and the performances, therefore, feel really lived in.
Flipp I couldnt´agree more!
Lars is one of those movies with a special intensity that make me vibrate.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yes, and we could have endless arguments over whether Marlon Brando and Al Pacino were placed in the wrong categories in The Godfather the same year, but rightly or wrongly, star power and billing still counted for something then. Paul Winfield was one of the stars of the film, Kevin Hooks was not despite the size of his role.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

The first Mrs. de Winter hovers over most of Rebecca, but I don't think she's a lead.

C'mon, guys. Paul Winfield is absent from Sounder for a good hour. Kevin Hooks is the lead, and you could make a good case for Cicely Tyson, but Winfield? I just can't see it.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

mlrg wrote:Sounder (1972) - Martin Ritt

8.5/10

Beautifully shot. Don't know why everyone thinks Paul Winfield is supporting. I think he clearly is lead.
"Everyone" doesn't. Even though he's gone for much of the film, his character still hovers over it.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sounder (1972) - Martin Ritt

8.5/10

Beautifully shot. Don't know why everyone thinks Paul Winfield is supporting. I think he clearly is lead.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Son of Rambow (2007)

6/10

Sweet and nostalgic..
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (Terry Gilliam) - 6/10

I enjoyed the fantasy elements, but... what the hell just happened?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Burn After Reading; dir. Joel & Ethan Coen (2008) 6/10

Enjoyable satire that I finally got around to watching this weekend. The entire cast works really well off of each other and Frances McDormand is an absolute hoot. What a, if not precise, fascinating look at the state of straight on-line dating. Things took a predictably violent turn towards the end, but the Coen's angle never got lost. The D.C. location shots were enjoyable. Except where the heck was that "Hardbodies" supposed to be -- Tenleytown?

Am I the only one who thought that Richard Jenkins was better in this than he was in his nominated turn in The Visitor? I would've supported a Brad Pitt nod.

Lars and the Real Girl; dir. Craig Gillespie (2007) 8/10

This film was such a little pleasure. From the way the entire town started to embrace Bianca and adopted her because of their love for Lars to the many costume changes (where was a costume nod for this?) It's difficult to capture an authentic contemporary Midwestern style of dress without veering into parody and I felt like that was achieved here (along with some nice touches, such as the blanket his dead mother had made that Lars used as a scarf).

Ryan Gosling is in that "Heath Ledger" vein of acting. He seems to really get inside the minds of these characters and the performances, therefore, feel really lived in.

Edited By flipp525 on 1251227801
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Still mulling over my final rating, but I could see, in 10 years, District 9 becoming the Blade Runner of the '00s. It's that rare science fiction film that not only entertains, but also provides a commentary on life and society that isn't more than surface comparison.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Teeth - 6/10

Hilarious!
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

All about Eve (1950): 10/10
An example of perfection... of how films should be done. Hadn't seen it since a long time ago, and I should say I enjoyed it a lot more. There's nothing to say about it that hasn't been already told.
However, isn't it amazing that a film with such wonderful performances by that great female cast, only managed to grab its only acting award by the likes of Sanders? Holm would have been a perfect winner for supporting actress and Davis of course... I guess no one thought at the time how iconic her performance was going to be in the years to come.

Edited By HarryGoldfarb on 1251122333
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Return to “Other Film Discussions”