Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Last Year at Marienbad (Alain Resnais) 1961, 9/10

You were expecting I would hate this movie? Who do you think I am, Pauline Kael or one the Medved Brothers? Nah, I loved this movie I've heard so many bad things about I've been dreading watching it for decades.

For starters, the art direction and cinematography are intoxicating. It's like taking repeated leisurely strolls through an elegantly appointed museum.

The story is what you make of it. Was it a dream? Was the narrator making it all up to seduce the woman or did she really have trouble remembering him and where they had met just a year before? Maybe I've seen too many episodes of The Twilight Zone or The Seventh Seal one too many times, but for some reason, I chose to believe he was Death coming to take her. Having chosen this interpretation for myself at the outset, I just relaxed, enjoyed the view and smiled through the whole thing.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Big Magilla wrote:
Eric wrote:Magilla, were you in a dysfunctional family perhaps? I'm sensing a theme.
Only the one on this board.
Well played.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rain Bard wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I have nothing against films about dysfunctional families in general, just dreary ones that pass themselves off as comedies. The kids' Christmas play was the only thing I laughed at in the whole damn movie.
I never thought it was supposed to be a comedy. Maybe I missed the same marketing materials that you saw, Magilla. I did laugh (more than just at the play) but overall this material is dramatic, and though it may be handled with a light touch, that does not make it a comedy in essence.
IMDB - genre - Comedy, Drama

Satellite Awards - Catherine Deneuve, Best Actress in a Motion Picture Comedy or Musical.

Also there was some talk of the film being nominated for Golden Globes in the comedy categories.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Big Magilla wrote:I have nothing against films about dysfunctional families in general, just dreary ones that pass themselves off as comedies. The kids' Christmas play was the only thing I laughed at in the whole damn movie.
I never thought it was supposed to be a comedy. Maybe I missed the same marketing materials that you saw, Magilla. I did laugh (more than just at the play) but overall this material is dramatic, and though it may be handled with a light touch, that does not make it a comedy in essence.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

The Purple Rose of Cairo - 6/10

It's an interesting premise, entertaining enough, but the best scenes take place in the theater. The dialogue is surprisingly weak and repetitive for Woody Allen, too. Jeff Daniels was pretty good in his two roles.

Edited By Zahveed on 1246210247
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:A Christmas Tale (Arnaud Despelchen) 2008 6/10

The woman, played by Catherine Deneuve, is not particularly pleasant or nice. She smokes and smokes and smokes.
Hey I love women who smoke.....and a smokin' Deneuve couldn't really be all bad!!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Eric wrote:Magilla, were you in a dysfunctional family perhaps? I'm sensing a theme.
Only the one on this board.

I have nothing against films about dysfunctional families in general, just dreary ones that pass themselves off as comedies. The kids' Christmas play was the only thing I laughed at in the whole damn movie.

Not excruciating to watch like Rachel Getting Married, but not something I'd care to sit through again any time soon.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Yeah, I have a hard time understanding how the clumsy dramaturgy and leaden storyline of I've Loved You for So Long is ahead of Desplechin's dizzyingly entertaining masterpiece.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Magilla, were you in a dysfunctional family perhaps? I'm sensing a theme.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

A Christmas Tale (Arnaud Despelchen) 2008 6/10

Acting and production values are good but this is ultimately just another dreary tale of a dysfunctional family, somehow erroneously classified as a comedy. It evolves around the need of a woman for a bone marrow transplant. The woman, played by Catherine Deneuve, is not particularly pleasant or nice. She claims to hate her black sheep middle son (Mathieu Almalric) and not know her emotionally disturbed grandson (Emile Berling), the only two family members who are compatible, as she smokes and smokes and smokes while trying to choose between the two or even undergo the transplant at all.

Last year's other two high profile French imports, Tell No One and Ive Loved You So Long were far more satisfying IMO.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Day of the Outlaw (1959) Andre de Toth 7/10

The Kiss of Death (1977) Mike Leigh 4/10

Disgrace (2009) Steve Jacobs 4/10

Terminator Salvation (2009) McG 4/10

Ludwig - Requiem for a Virgin King (1972) Hans-Jurgen Syberberg 6/10

Edited By Precious Doll on 1246186977
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Would love to see a list of the other 9.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:Blood Simple (Joel Coen) - 9.5/10
One of the 10 worst movies of the 1980s.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Blood Simple (Joel Coen) - 9.5/10
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Noodle (2007) Ayelet Menahemi 5/10

Sunshine Cleaning (2009) Christine Jeffs 4/10

Fanboys (2009) Kyle Newman 3/10

Welcome Home (2008) Jean-Xavier de Lestrade 4/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “Other Film Discussions”