Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It Could Happen to You (Andrew Bergman, 1994) 7/10

Modern fairy tale holds up better than you might expect. Nicholas Cage, when he was still a serious actor, is the good-hearted NYC cop who shares his lottery ticket with the waitress he didn't have enough money to give a tip to the day before. Bridget Fonda (whatever happened to her?) is OK as the waitress, but it's the one in a million supporting cast - Rosie Perez, Isaac Hayes, Seymour Cassel, Stanley Tucci, Richard Jenkins, Red Buttons, Ann Dowd - that makes it fun.

My Name Is Julia Ross (Joseph H. Lewis, 1945) 7/10

Compact Hollywood noir often mistaken for a British film featuring a star-making performance by Nina Foch as a woman being held hostage in an English seaside mansion by crazy George Macready and his nefarious mother, a delightfully sinister Dame May Whitty.

Father Brown (The Detective in the U.S.) (Robert Hamer, 1954) 8/10

Alec Guinness is at his bumbling best as G.K. Chesterton's near-sighted priest on a quest to capture a master criminal and save his soul at the same time. Peter Finch, Joan Greenwood, Cecil Parker and Ernest Thesiger are also in top form.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1236065913
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Yeah, I've always thought of To Kill A Mockingbird as a very traditional movie, which is part of what makes it so moving.

One thing I've wondered since seeing them in the past year or so, is if Harper Lee was inspired by similar scenes in Intruder in the Dust and especially Stars in My Crown when she wrote the scene where Scout talks down the lynch-mob. When I saw Stars in My Crown, I was stunned by how similar the two scenes were. To Kill A Mockingbird makes the child the active party, while it's Joel McCrea's preacher who takes on the mob in the Tourneur film.

Edited By dws1982 on 1236052128
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

--dreaMaker wrote:To Kill a Mockingbird
9/10

One of the strangest film i ve ever seen, and yet so brilliant.

Strangest? In what way strange? I see it as a very traditional movie, albeit an extremely moving one.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241620307
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Rachel Getting Married (Jonathan Demme, 2008) 4/10
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder - 7/10

This is not a great capper to the series. When it hits the sentimentality it aims for, it doesn't feel climactic but instead rushed. The characters deserve a little better than this. But like the best Futurama movie The Beast with a Billion Backs, it feels paced like a very strong episode. The motifs are pretty easy (feminism, conspiracy theorists) but the movie grooves on the show's very special wavelength very nicely.

Very clearly, this franchise is not done.
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Futurama: Into The Wild Green Yonder - 8/10

Choke - 7/10

Pineapple Express - 6/10
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Afterglow (1997)

Dreadfull directing and cinematography. Only worth to watch for Julie Christie's performance

3/10
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Valkyrie

7.5/10

A pleasant surprise. Great cast!
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

To Kill a Mockingbird
9/10

One of the strangest film i ve ever seen, and yet so brilliant.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

/The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford/ (dir. Andrew Dominick) - 10/10

One of the ten best films of the decade. I am so utterly dwarfed by this film's daring. To watch this film is to launch between centuries. Brad Pitt's death wish is pretty prominent and it may be the actor's finest moment. Affleck, brilliant; Paul Schneider and Sam Rockwell are at their absolute best. Epilogue = some of the strongest filmmaking I've ever seen. Question asked a decade from now? "Why wasn't this film nominated for everything?" Answer: "Why wasn't Badlands, Mean Streets, McCabe & Mrs. Miller..."

/WALL*E/ (dir. Andrew Stanton) - 10/10

Again: one of the ten best. Kate Winslet could only win the Oscar for doing something that at least looked different. It's a shame then that Thomas Newman, a composer I find trying at times (especially in Finding Nemo), was passed over this year. Like the film itself, the music is to swoon to.
"How's the despair?"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Entre les murs (aka, The Class; 2008; Laurent Cantet) 8/10
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

--dreaMaker wrote:Finding Nemo

10/10

Perfect.

Oh, sweet Jesus.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241620324
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Australia (Baz Luhrmann) 6/10

Better than I expected, but far from great. Hugh Jackman, the supporting cast and the production values are fine but Nicole Kidman doesn't have the acting chops of a Vivien Leigh or Deborah Kerr to bring off her "great lady" role. And it goes on too long with a rather blah ending, a last minute add-on for the original one in which Jackman's character dies.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Man On Wire (James Marsh 2008) 2/10

The acclaim for this drivel astonishes me. I was hoping he'd fall.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Finding Nemo

10/10

Perfect.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”