Associate

Post by mlrg »

The Last Detail (1973)

7/10
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

/Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind/ (dir. Michel Gondry) - 11/10

Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Original Screenplay, Original Score, Original Song, Cinematography, Film Editing, Art Direction, Costume Design, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Visual Effects...

It's not that this film wasn't nominated for the Oscar. It's that it wasn't nominated for 14.

1. Rushmore
2. Eternal Sunshine...
3. L'Atalante
4. McCabe & Mrs. Miller
5. The Shop Around the Corner...?

Muddled after that.
"How's the despair?"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Pshaw, Sabin, you should know that the greatest movie ever made is The Pirate Movie!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Rushmore (dir. Wes Anderson) - 11/10

Greatest film ever made.
"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

--Big Magilla wrote:Precious, Ripley Under Ground was shown at the AFI Film Festival in 2005. It does seem odd that Lionsgate has released it on DVD in seven countries between 2007 and 2008 but none of them English speaking. I have the Dutch version.

It's very odd indeed. A viewed a German disc of the film.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241620149
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

--dreaMaker wrote:
--Big Magilla wrote:I'm almost inclined to relegate Winslet to the supporting category in my own awards just so I can give Scott Thomas my award for this performance - almost, but not quite.

I would love to see your awards list :)
I am also making my own awards every year.

They can all be found under The Academy Awards section. Start with The First 70 Years. Go to the bottom of the first page within the topic. Sort by "Topic Title" in "Ascending Order" from "The Beginning". Click on 1927/28 and keep going.

I know you've seen my 2008 awards as you've posting in that thread:

http://www.oscarguy.com/cgi-bin....9;st=50

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241620163
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Big Magilla wrote:I'm almost inclined to relegate Winslet to the supporting category in my own awards just so I can give Scott Thomas my award for this performance - almost, but not quite.
I would love to see your awards list :)
I am also making my own awards every year.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Okri wrote:Scott-Thomas is great, but I side with BJ and Mister Tee on this one for the film - it's surprisingly clumsy.

Yeah, Big Magilla, you should check out the I've Loved You So Long Spoiler-ific thread in which the numerous problems with the film are enumerated. Scott-Thomas is great, but the clumsiness (as Okri describes it) of the plot somehow detracts from her very fine work. I won't even get into that final confrontation scene which is inexplicably truncated.

Edited By flipp525 on 1236537561
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Scott-Thomas is great, but I side with BJ and Mister Tee on this one for the film - it's surprisingly clumsy.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I've Loved You so Long (English dubbed version/2008) 8/10

I have no idea where this was shown, or even if it was, but presumably the dubbed version was included on the screeners provided SAG and AMPAS members. If so, did they even bother to watch it?

Kristin Scott Thomas' performance is heart wrenching in the original French but her delivery is even more profound if you understand the language, something the dubbed version allows for those of us who don't know French.

Granted 2008 was an unusually strong year for lead actress performances and someone had to be left out of the race but this one should have been included over all but Winslet IMO. It is even more of a wonder when you see it a second time knowing what the character is holding inside her.

I'm almost inclined to relegate Winslet to the supporting category in my own awards just so I can give Scott Thomas my award for this performance - almost, but not quite.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1236530743
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious, Ripley Under Ground was shown at the AFI Film Festival in 2005. It does seem odd that Lionsgate has released it on DVD in seven countries between 2007 and 2008 but none of them English speaking. I have the Dutch version.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Ripley Underground (2005) Roger Spottiswoode 4/10

The makers of the latest Ripley adaptation do themselves no favors by setting the film in the present. Alan Cummings character even spits out dialogue like 'I hate the internet" or 'I hate mobile phones'. Modern technology has clearly been difficult for the screeenwriters to incorporate into the screenplay. Barry Pepper is miscast whilst Tom Wilkinson steals the whole show. This is not a patch on other Ripley films such as Purple Noon, The Talented Mr. Ripley & Ripley's Game and this Ripley is totally hetrosexual. Why this film is sitting on the shelf and hasn't even received a DVD release in any English language country is beyond me. It was made in 2003 and it's no worse then half the stuff that plays in cinemas.

Modern Life (2008) Raymond Depardon 4/10

Very disappointing feature documentary about rural French farmers. Not a patch on Depardon's earlier film Tenth District Court. The participants are just plain dull and Depardon relies to voice over and questioning that fails to bring anything to the footage he has shot.

It's a Free World (2007) Ken Loach 7/10

Kierston Wareing is terrific in Ken Loach's best film since Ladybird, Ladbybird. She's a very flawed heroine full of contradictions, capable of great compassion and extreme selfishness and callousness. It's very depressing stuff.

Last Chance Harvey (2008) Joel Hopkins 6/10

Slight, watch-able, forgettable but pleasant enough to watch. I wish Emma Thompson worked more often.

Edited By Precious Doll on 1236511872
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Pinocchio (Hamilton Luske, Ben Sharpsteen/1940) 10/10

Funny, but I thought of watching Beauty and the Beast just after seeing this.

I rarely watch cartoons and usually only with my sister and brother-in-law and their kids. I watched this by myself for my DVD report and to my surprise flashed back to when I first saw it in the theatre as a kid. It struck with awe and amazement as though I was watching it for the first time.

The picture and sound on the Blu-ray are amazing. It's framed with black borders on either side in order to provide the original theatrical ratio - the first time I haven't seen in on a wide screen probably since I first saw it in the theatre. Maybe that had something to do with it.

The extras, though, are nothing special. The deleted scenes and alternate ending are just storyboards and not very interesting ones. The alternate ending is, in fact, a shortened version of the one that was actually filmed.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1236492247
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

/Beauty and the Beast/ (dir. Gary Trousdale & Kirk Wise) - 10/10

First viewing in years now. New thoughts:

1) If not the greatest animated feature, then the single greatest evocation of sexual politics in mainstream American animation. So much so that Beast's transformation at the end is almost a tragic reality. I would say it's almost worth shutting the film off at the fall of the last rose petal, except the way Belle touches his face has to go down as one of the most evocative "Too good to be true, but wait a minute"s I've ever seen. Beauty and the Beast = Best Faces in American Animation.

2) Belle is too cool for school and the film largely forgoes this during her imprisonment. She becomes Woman to his Man, Virgin to his Beast. Contrast with Megara from Hercules, still the strongest female characterization in the Disneyssaince. I don't have substantial issue because the sexual politics in this film are going to be remembered as perhaps the best scripted in Disney's non-Pixar history. There's really nothing that comes close as Disney has an unparalleled history in subjugation of the female identity. Belle is the cheese that stands alone, surviving as both liberated female and eventually case study.

3) One can only imagine a world in which viewers are mature enough to not require a wacky battle between villagers and anthropomorphized furniture. Good Golly, Miss Molly!

4) Beauty and the Beast may very well be my favorite American Movie Musical, and I say this without exaggeration. I'm more than happy to revisit any chosen selection but were this a film released today with a CGI Beast and (undoubtably) Naomi Watts or Natalie Portman in the lead (leading purveyors of sexual disfunction in American film today) I doubt I'd have any more and less issue than calling this Disney animation my favorite. As it is more than any other Disney film perhaps ever, it operates as a musical first and foremost. The songs are incredibly beautiful. RIP Howard Ashman.

5) This is my favorite score in the history of the planet. I don't think a piece of music will ever seep into my unconscious like what Alan Menken does when Belle traipses into Beast's West Wing.

6) Linda Woolverton wuz robbed. Beauty and the Beast is the best film of 1991. Were I to reassemble a list, the runners up would be Barton Fink, Life is Sweet, Defending Your Life, My Own Private Idaho, and The Silence of the Lambs, but Beauty and the Beast would remain my choice for Best Picture, Best Screenplay, and perhaps Best Director as well. As I've stated before, Belle and Beast give ridiculously accomplished performances with subtle, multi-layered performances. Someone's in charge of that.

7) If ever there was occasion for one film to sweep every available slot for Best Song, it's Beauty and the Beast. "Be Our Guest", "Beauty and the Beast", and "Belle" joined by "Gaston" and "Something There" so far superior to "Everything I Do" and "When You're Again", it's not funny. Removal of "Human Again" perfectly acceptable.

8) PIXAR has outdone Beauty and the Beast on a few occasions, but Walt never did. WALL*E has come the closest in saying something about relationships. What Andrew Stanton does is substantially more radical, suggesting that gender roles are adopted and a product of media and suggestion.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

--HarryGoldfarb wrote:
--Reza wrote:Deconstructing Harry (Woody Allen, 1992) 7/10
The plot is basically built around one-liners. Had forgotten how amusingly foul mouthed the script is. Kirstey Alley and Judy Davis are very funny as the two hysterical females in Allen's life while Hazel Goodman is also very funny as the intelligent and contrastingly (as compared to all the other female characters in the film) calm hooker.

The much maligned Richard Benjamin is also around in great randy form.

Actually the film is from 1997.

I enjoyed it so much. Right now, the sliding out of focus idea is a recurrent joke in my own life, using the expresion/term quite often.

Allen's films have for the last so many years really gone so down the drain which is why I probably made the mistake on the year of release.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241620189

Return to “Other Film Discussions”