Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Revolutionary Road (2008) 8/10
A film I don't want to see anytime soon but only cause it affected me in areas I didn't want to go trhough. A film I can recognize a lot of strenghts in it, starting with the cast, specially DiCaprio and Winslet. Loved the directing, camera and editing work. The Art Direction is one to remember and so were the costumes. Very underrated. Count me on the "I prefer Winslet here" group. DiCaprio was robbed of a nomination.

The Golden Compass (2007) 6/19
Too rushed. They lost a great opportunity to make a great fantasy film. It compelled me at some levels. The effects were great of course, the girl very effective and the story was an iteresting one, but had they developed the story a lot more then the film would have been less alienating. The context is never fully explained and the races/creatures are always appearing without any background info and that didn't help to make me connect to the story. A witch, the Polar Bears, the people with "Daemonians" or something like that seemed interesting but then again, I knew nothing about them. It should have won Art Direction over the Barber thing. I enjoyed it, kind of, in the end...

Doubt (2008) 7/10
Man, I so did wished to like this film more than I eventually did. The final is the main problem, so unexciting, uneven... Great cast, finally a performance by Hoffman that I really like after his appearance in Ripley. Streep was superb but she will surprise us (really surprise us) sometime in the future in order to get her third Oscar. Davis was really really good but I didn't saw her perfomance as THAT spectacular as to consider it the best supporting performance of the year. I liked Adams more.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's a shame Geraldine Page didn't win an Oscar for Summer and Smoke. We might have spared those throwaway nominations for You're a Big Boy Now and Pete 'n' Tillie. Taking it a step further had she won another (in support IMO) for Interiors we might have spared the one for The Pope of Greenwich Village though in truth she probably could have nominated for reading the phone book she was that popular in her day.

The Page nomination, though, was not as surprising as Lindsay Crouse's or even Glenn Close's. Better choices, in addition to Melanie Griffith in Body Double, would have been Jacqueline Bisset in Under the Volcano and Lesley Ann Warren in Choose Me.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

--Mister Tee wrote:It (1984) was a truly dreary year (and '85 was mostly the same).

Three of my favourite Brit films came out in 1985.

Plenty, Dance With a Stranger and Wetherby....with great performances by Meryl Streep, Miranda Richardson and Vanessa Redgrave respectively.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241620032
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

--Eric wrote:
--Mister Tee wrote:(Melanie Griffith in Body Double, but alot of people hated that movie's grisly violence)

Their loss. The 1984 Oscars really were a humorless spread, weren't they? (Amadeus being the sole moderate exception.)

It was a truly dreary year (and '85 was mostly the same). Even my "favorite" film, The Killing Fields, was hit-and-miss, and, as you say, rather solemn. Whenever I hear people complain about today's films, I say, you guys have no idea how bleak things looked by the mid-80s. New York Magazine had a cover article, Can the Movies be Saved?, and it didn't seem utter hyperbole.

Body Double was my least-favorite dePalma of the era (I was a fan almost on your level at the time, Eric, but the drill bit was over the top even for me). But I'd have nominated Giriffith in a heartbeat. It's sadly typical that she was passed over for Body Double and Something Wild, then finally nominated for the pleasant but altogether weaker tea of Working Girl.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241620045
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

--Mister Tee wrote:(Melanie Griffith in Body Double, but alot of people hated that movie's grisly violence)

Their loss. The 1984 Oscars really were a humorless spread, weren't they? (Amadeus being the sole moderate exception.)

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241620067
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

--Mister Tee wrote:
--mlrg wrote:The Pope of Greenwich Village (1984) - 6/10

Really can't understand Geraldine Page's nomination for Best Supporting Actor. She is good, for about the 3 minutes she is in the film...

Really, really weak year in the category -- with the clear exception of Ashcroft, who I presume won by near-acclamation.

Lahti was propelled in by a NY Critics' award, which she only won because Ashcoft was classified as lead in NY. Crouse -- mostly un-singled out by critics -- rode on the best picture strength of her film. Glenn Close was nominated because...well, apparently because she'd been nominated the two previous years and voters had become accustomed to writing down her name. (Does anyone have a BETTER explanation?) Page, who had a history of pointless surprise nominations (neither You're a Big Boy Now nor Pete 'n' Tillie had been sure thing nods) grabbed the uncompetitive final slot because there just wasn't much anybody else (Melanie Griffith in Body Double, but alot of people hated that movie's grisly violence), and I guess name recognition won in the end.

I'll always support a Geraldine Page nomination because, like F. Murray Abraham, I really do consider her one of the all-time greats. But, yeah, her nomination for You're a Big Boy Now (and to a lesser extent, The Pope of Greenwich Village) is sort of a head-scratcher. She was the one point of humor in the otherwise maudlin Pete N' Tillie.

I would've supported a surprise supporting nod for her cameo as Big Sister in The Day of the Locust.

Glenn Close is absolutely ethereal in The Natural, infusing a role that could've easily been written off as boring and trite with luminosity.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241620088
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

mlrg wrote:The Pope of Greenwich Village (1984) - 6/10

Really can't understand Geraldine Page's nomination for Best Supporting Actor. She is good, for about the 3 minutes she is in the film...
Really, really weak year in the category -- with the clear exception of Ashcroft, who I presume won by near-acclamation.

Lahti was propelled in by a NY Critics' award, which she only won because Ashcoft was classified as lead in NY. Crouse -- mostly un-singled out by critics -- rode on the best picture strength of her film. Glenn Close was nominated because...well, apparently because she'd been nominated the two previous years and voters had become accustomed to writing down her name. (Does anyone have a BETTER explanation?) Page, who had a history of pointless surprise nominations (neither You're a Big Boy Now nor Pete 'n' Tillie had been sure thing nods) grabbed the uncompetitive final slot because there just wasn't much anybody else (Melanie Griffith in Body Double, but alot of people hated that movie's grisly violence), and I guess name recognition won in the end.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Burn After Reading (Joel & Ethan Coen, 2008) 5/10
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

--Big Magilla wrote:Primal Fear (Gregory Hoblit/1996) 7/10

Gret cast - Richard Gere as a sleazy criminal defense attorney, Laura Linney as a brittle prosecutor, John Mahoney as her nasty boss, Terry O'Quinn as an even nastier assistant D.A., Frances McDormand as a clinical psychologist and best of all Edward Norton in his Oscar nominated breakthrough role as the altar boy accused of murdering the Archbishop of Chicago.

The part played by Edward Norton was foolproof as far as an actor's showpiece is concerned. In my opinion he should have won the Oscar.

The film was remade in Bollywood as Deewangee / Obsession (2002) to great success as well. The plot was changed as was the character of the alter boy to an obsessed lover who commits a murder and who is declared insane by the courts. Only he is pretending all along. Ajay Devgan who played the part won a well deserved Filmfare award for the part.

Here is Variety's review:

Deewangee
(India)
By DEREK ELLEY