Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Lily Tomlin's character in Nashville was written by/for Louise Fletcher whose husband Jerry Bick who had produced Altman's The Long Goodbye and Thieves Like Us, but when Altman and Bick had a falling out Altman recast the role with Tomlin.

One wonders what the 1975 Oscars might have been had Fletcher kept the part and Anne Bancoft, Ellen Burstyn, Jane Fonda, Geraldine Page, Angela Lansbury or Colleen Dewhurst, all of whom turned it down, had played Nurse Ratched instead of Fletcher.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

You know, the praise for Lily Tomlin in Nashville has always mystified me; sure, the scene in the nightclub, when she's listening to Keith Carradine sing, is exquisite, but, overall, I think any of the other Nashville ladies, from the nominated Ronee Blakely to the non-nominated Gwen Welles and Barbara Harris, were far superior.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Well, now I know. Lee Grant is very amusing in Shampoo but her role is feather light. She shows her cans in the opening scene and has some very good lines but this is something she can phone in. Lily Tomlin wuz straight-up robbed.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

--Sabin wrote:Did Lee Grant deserve the Oscar over Lily Tomlin?

No way. Lee Grant is intermittently amusing and has some good zingers but it's not a very challenging role at all.

I think an all-Nashville lineup would have been one of the greatest slates of all time. Blakley. Chaplin. Harris. Tomlin. Welles. I'm getting a little giddy just thinking about it!

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241619365
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Shampoo (Hal Ashby) - 7.5/10

Sexual realignment as political realignment. I can dig it. It's a good time that ostensibly could have been about a little more. Love the Paul Simon score. La Ronde in Laurel Canyon.
"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Far North (2008) Asif Kapadia 4/10

The Wave (2008) Dennis Gansel 4/10

La Sconosciuta (2006) Giuseppe Tornatore 4/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Easy Virtue (Stephan Elliott, 2008) 4/10

I'm surprised this play was never adapted for the big or small screen in between the Hitchcock version in 1928 and this boring version.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Shi mian mai fu (The House of Flying Daggers)

8.5/10

Beautiful, pure poetry.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

--Damien wrote:Goldie Hawn's the best thing in Shampoo.

I love out-of-context statements.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241619381
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Bekleme odasi (2004) Zeki Demirkubuz 5/10

Wendy and Luck (2008) Kelly Reichardt 9/10

Tom Brown's School Days (1951) Gordon Parry 7/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

--Big Magilla wrote:

The performance that was criminally ignored was Beatty's. His was easily the year's best lead comedic work. He should have been nominated in place of Walter Matthau's hambone crapola in The Sunshine Boys.

The Sunshine Boys is on my shelf waiting to be seen, part of my accolade of seeing all acting nominees since 1970, but I agree with you on Beatty.

Ironically, although I think Busgy and Bonnie and Clyde still remain as my favourite Beatty's performances, I think he is very good on comedic roles.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241619391
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hal Ashby's first seven films as a director - The Landlord, Harold and Maude, The Last Detail, Shampoo, Bound for Glory, Coming Home and Being There - were quintessential 1970s films. Every one of them is worth revisiting from time to time.

All of them feature great performances. The greats in Shampoo were Warren Beatty, Julie Christie, Goldie Hawn and Lee Grant. I didn't care for either Jack Warden or Carrie Fisher. Warden's best screen performance IMO was in The Verdict seven years later.

Grant though good, was better in The Landlord. Lily Tomlin and Ronee Blakley were the year's standout supporting actresses in Nashville but Grant was considered due.

The performance that was criminally ignored was Beatty's. His was easily the year's best lead comedic work. He should have been nominated in place of Walter Matthau's hambone crapola in The Sunshine Boys.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

--Sabin wrote:Really want to see Shampoo. I'm a very big Ashby fan. Did Lee Grant deserve the Oscar over Lily Tomlin? I can't imagine a better performance that year.

I still have to see Nashville but I think Grant fully deserved at least a nomination. Jack Warden for me is the one who deserved it.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241619408
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Goldie Hawn's the best thing in Shampoo.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

--Penelope wrote:I agree, Grant is fabulous, it's a showy role, but she doesn't ham it up the way she did in subsequent films.

Hey I loved her hair clutching scene in Voyage of the Damned (1976). Pure ham...all the way!!

Edited By Big Magilla on 1241619434

Return to “Other Film Discussions”