Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The Great Lie (1941; Edmund Goulding) 7/10

Florid melodrama with rivals Bette Davis and Mary Astor competing for the same man, and how a tragedy and a baby bring them together. Best sparks occur whenever Davis and Astor (in an Oscar-winning performance) are at each others' throats.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

A Little Night Music (the film version) is crap. Holy shit. I didn't think it could be that bad, but it was. How can they raise the key on EVERYONE and cut some wonderful songs (Liaisons, The Woman Is Mine and The Miller's Son) and then give parts of songs to people that shouldn't have had them (no chorus?) and changed lines around that didn't sound right.

I mean, it says something about your film when you hear the line "If she'd only been fat..." and all you can think is "but she is..."

Diana Rigg was the only thing about the film I even liked and she seemed a poor fit for her part.

Gah. That's 2 of 3 Sondheim films I've seen and 2 of 3 that have been absolute trash.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1253152902
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I´m adding two more recommendable german films:

1. Nordwand (2008/Phillip Stolzl) 8/10
2. Dr. Aleman (2008/Tom Schreiber) 7/10
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:So, I saw 8 1/2 recently and I can't help but wonder is Anouk Aimee always this good? She was captivating in it.
It's one of her best performances, but yes, she is always at least interesting, and sometimes really impressive (but not in her American movies).
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

So, I saw 8 1/2 recently and I can't help but wonder is Anouk Aimee always this good? She was captivating in it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Greg wrote:
Zahveed wrote:I relate life to the laws of gravity. Third law: every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Thus, for every person who absolutely loves one thing there will be someone who absolutely loathes it.
Not to be anal retentive; but, that is laws of motion, not gravity.
Thank you. And to think I've been saying 'gravity' the past four years.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Zahveed wrote:I relate life to the laws of gravity. Third law: every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Thus, for every person who absolutely loves one thing there will be someone who absolutely loathes it.
Not to be anal retentive; but, that is laws of motion, not gravity.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Eric wrote:Typically it's because someone is delighted by it that someone else is compelled to say "this is the worst thing I've ever seen in my life."
Yeah, that's what i thought... :)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Madame Butterfly (1932) Marion Gering 4/10

Tanks a Million (1941) Fred Guiol 4/10

The Last House on the Left (2009) Dennis Iliadis 3/10

Fireflies in the Garden (2008) Dennis Lee 2/10

Sing You Sinners (1938) Wesley Ruggles 4/10

Funny People (2009) Judd Apatow 2/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I relate life to the laws of gravity. Third law: every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Thus, for every person who absolutely loves one thing there will be someone who absolutely loathes it.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Typically it's because someone is delighted by it that someone else is compelled to say "this is the worst thing I've ever seen in my life."
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

It is always very interesting to me when i see how differently people may react to something, or how a person, a film fan, can be totally delighted and amazed by seeing a movie and the other person, a film fan too, would say ''This is the worst thing i've ever seen in my life''.

Edited By dreaMaker on 1253052583
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Eyes Wide Shut, Barry Lyndon and The Shining will always be the trilogy of great Kubrick for me.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Reza wrote:
Damien wrote:
Greg wrote: You really don't consider Paths Of Glory, Dr. Strangelove, or 2001 to be great films?
Ummm, no.
LOL
but Barry Lyndon is!
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:
Greg wrote:
Damien wrote:And as things worked out, Kubrick's last movie was his one great film.
You really don't consider Paths Of Glory, Dr. Strangelove, or 2001 to be great films?
Ummm, no.
LOL

Return to “Other Film Discussions”