Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:For my money, though, Dana Hill outshines both Keaton and Finney but with a supporting actress line-up as strong as the one that year (Close, Garr, Lange, Stanley, Warren), she didn't have a chance in hell of being nominated.
I could easily replace Jessica Lange on this list with Dana Hill.

Still don't understand why Lange was not only nominated but also won the award.
Sure you do. It was a consolation prize. They couldn't give her best actress over Meryl Streep so they did the next best thing.

Lange was pretty much dismissed as Mikhail Baryshnikov's bubble-head girlfriend after King Kong. The Postman Always Rings Twice made them sit up and notice, but the one-two punch success of Frances and Tootsie, two completely different types of roles, established her as a serious actress who also excelled at comedy.

The Oscar was Hollywood's way of saying "we were wrong about you".
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:For my money, though, Dana Hill outshines both Keaton and Finney but with a supporting actress line-up as strong as the one that year (Close, Garr, Lange, Stanley, Warren), she didn't have a chance in hell of being nominated.
I could easily replace Jessica Lange on this list with Dana Hill.

Still don't understand why Lange was not only nominated but also won the award.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote: Where did you find this box set? Can't find it on Amazon.
http://www.moviemail-online.co.uk/scripts....age.y=0
Also Amazon's UK site.
Thanks guys.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:
flipp525 wrote:It's hard to see how this film was so ignored by the Academy at the time of its release. The only thing I can think of is that it was covering ground similar to what Ordinary People had two years earlier, although that seems too flimsy of an excuse. I definitely would've supported nominations for Keaton and Hill in lead and supporting, respectively.
Back in 1982, people really hated Shoot The Moon, probably because of its unrelenting tone. It was highly touted Still Keaton was talked up as a possible Best Actress nominee. I think Finney is even better.
My recollection of 1982 is that Meryl Streep was early on the presumptive winner for Sophie's Choice with Jessica Lange (Frances) and Julie Andrews (Victor/Victoria) certain nominees with Keaton, Sissy Spacek (Missing) and Debra Winger (An Officer and a Gentleman) in a neck and neck race for for the remaining slots.

For my money, though, Dana Hill outshines both Keaton and Finney but with a supporting actress line-up as strong as the one that year (Close, Garr, Lange, Stanley, Warren), she didn't have a chance in hell of being nominated.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:I purchased a DVD box set of 6 Anna Neagle films sometime ago to obtain a copy of Victoria The Great.
Where did you find this box set? Can't find it on Amazon.
Also Amazon's UK site.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Penelope wrote:Star! (1968; Robert Wise) 3/10

Dull, overblown biography of Gertrude Lawrence (Julie Andrews, in one of her least interesting performances). The epitome of bad late 1960s musicals.
It's certainly overlong, but the musical sequences are quite enjoyable. Julie makes a marvelous Gertie and Daniel Massey perfectly captures his real life godfather, Noel Coward.

It would have been better if they had concentrated less on Gertie's marriages and more on her stage career. The film should have ended with her all but dying on stage during a performance of The King and I and her burial in the ball gown she wore while singing "Shall We Dance?".
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:I purchased a DVD box set of 6 Anna Neagle films sometime ago to obtain a copy of Victoria The Great.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Violent Men (1955) Rudolph Mate 6/10

I purchased a DVD box set of 6 Anna Neagle films sometime ago to obtain a copy of Victoria The Great. I have finally got around to viewing the rest and needless to say they don't match Victoria The Great or The Lady with the Lamp in quality terms.

I Live in Grosvenor Square (1945) Herbert Wilcox 5/10

Sixty Glorious Years (1938) Herbert Wilcox 6/10

Derby Day (1952) Herbert Wilcox 4/10

The Lady is a Square (1959) Herbert Wilcox 4/10

Edited By Precious Doll on 1256713133
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Callas Forever (Franco Zeffirelli, 2002) 7/10

Facinating fictional film about Maria Callas making a comeback in a film version of Carmen. Fanny Ardant is amazing as the temperamental diva.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Star! (1968; Robert Wise) 3/10

Dull, overblown biography of Gertrude Lawrence (Julie Andrews, in one of her least interesting performances). The epitome of bad late 1960s musicals.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Penelope wrote:The Best Way to Walk (1976; Claude Miller) 7.5/10

That wasn't the title it was released as in the U.S. It might have been just The Best Way, but I can't remember because I hated it. And I couldnt stand Patrick Dewaere

Edited By Damien on 1256699004
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The Best Way to Walk (1976; Claude Miller) 7.5/10

At a boys summer camp in 1960, two counselors (Patrick Dewaere, Patrick Bouchitey) become involved in a tense game of humilation and desire. Even at 86 minutes, it's still perhaps a little too lengthy, but also still very involving, especially thanks to the superlative performances of the two leads; Dewaere, particularly, is magnetic.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

flipp525 wrote:It's hard to see how this film was so ignored by the Academy at the time of its release. The only thing I can think of is that it was covering ground similar to what Ordinary People had two years earlier, although that seems too flimsy of an excuse. I definitely would've supported nominations for Keaton and Hill in lead and supporting, respectively.
Back in 1982, people really hated Shoot The Moon, probably because of its unrelenting tone. It was highly touted Still Keaton was talked up as a possible Best Actress nominee. I think Finney is even better.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:One quibble: is my memory failing after all these years? I'd have sworn the Beatles' If I Fell was the song Keaton was singing in the tub. Do I have scenes mixed up?

No, you're totally right, Tee; it was the Beatles song -- she and Finney even talk about it earlier in the film. Was the Stones' song placed elsewhere in the film? Regardless, that was absolutely Keaton's money scene. Just wonderful.

Edited By flipp525 on 1256677212
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “Other Film Discussions”