For a Few Dollars More (Sergio Leone) - 9/10

Leon: The Professional (Luc Besson) - 8/10

Edited By Zahveed on 1263943664
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Funeral Parade of Roses (1969) Toshio Matsumoto 8/10

One of a kind Japanese film with a transvestite theme.

Perestroika (2009) Slava Tsukerman 6/10

Russian director Tsukerman made highly original Liquid Sky back in 1983 and then disappeared from the cinema screen. He reemerged again 10 years ago and has directed a handful of films that remain widely unseen.

I have now had the opportunity to see his most recent work and whilst it lacks the impact and originality of his feature debut it is an interesting take on an ex-pat Russian return to his homeland after the fall of Soviet regime. Sam Robards sports a convincing Russian accent in a rare staring role. The film focus though is somewhat muddled but there's plenty of food for thought in it.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Julia (2008?) Erick Zonka- 7/10

Absolutely phenomenal performance by Tilda Swinton. Shame if her not as phenomenal performance in a much more mainstream, accessible film hinders her run at an Oscar for this amazing turn.

The Lovely Bones (2009) Peter Jackson- 7/10

Surprisingly moving and well made.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Lucky Number Slevin

8.5/10

Excellent writing, acting, editing and directing! A pleasant surprise!
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

mlrg wrote:
Reza wrote:
mlrg wrote: Just give Manoel Oliveira a fucking honorary Oscar. At 101 he's premiering a new film in a couple of weeks and has already another one in the works.
Does he ACTUALLY stand around a set and direct himself?? Hard to believe.
Have you ever seen a picture of him? He looks younger than Clint Eastwood
My God.. This man looks great at his age..
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Reza wrote:
mlrg wrote:
anonymous wrote:I'm Going Home (Manoel de Oliveira) - 7/10
Just give Manoel Oliveira a fucking honorary Oscar. At 101 he's premiering a new film in a couple of weeks and has already another one in the works.
Have you ever seen a picture of him? He looks younger than Clint Eastwood
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Maybe the most enjoyable experience I've ever had in a movie theatre. Also, it's total boxoffice worldwide is currently $1,602,168,000. That's only $241 million off Titanic's worldwide total... I think we have a new champion.

Also, if you've yet to see it you don't need to see it in 3D. In fact, don't. Avatar is a very vibrant and colourful film. Due to the 3D glasses there's around 20-25% colour-loss.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

mlrg wrote:
Just give Manoel Oliveira a fucking honorary Oscar. At 101 he's premiering a new film in a couple of weeks and has already another one in the works.
And how many Academy members have even heard of de Oliveira? I'd say about 3 percent.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

mlrg wrote:
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Eric wrote:Which one? I haven't seen The Brothers Bloom.

My bad. When Precious Doll gave the film 1/10 and Sabin reacted with mock horror, you said something like "that seems about right" - so I assumed you agreed with Precious Doll and had seen the movie.

I'm with Sabin on this one. I think the Johnson film is marvelous. I don't even mind the third act. And Weisz' final lines.... oh, they are beautiful.

Edited By Okri on 1263739405
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I'm Going Home (Manoel de Oliveira) - 7/10
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Be Cool (F. Gary Gray, 2005)

2/10

Why, oh, why did I waste 2 hrs of my life?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

In trying to come up with a specific quotation in which to begin discussion on The Brothers Bloom, I feel surrounded by a chorus of crickets at every try. re: names, situations, dialogue, I don't really know what to tell you. None of these things bothered me outside of the ending which reeks of a recut third act. I think this is a masterful production: the throwaway gags, the lilting score, the deadpan deliveries, all working in conjunction with an incredibly moving theme. Perhaps the cynic in me is easy prey for movies about rebirth, but that's what it is. It's an incredibly touching story about a cad of a brother who is trying to make amends for manipulating his brother into a "written" life and tries to write him a better one as a parting gift. Because the plot of The Brothers Bloom is a little freewheeling (intentionally for fooling Penelope) and the third act implies a lot off-screen, The Brothers Bloom feels more like the outline of a con movie rather than a true blue one...which actually I don't mind. The arc of the narrative is defined by characters rejuvenating their relationships with brother, girlfriend, job, etc. There's a lot more going on in The Brothers Bloom besides whimsy for whimsy's sake!

Brody seems caught in a hangdog recursive loop, but Rachel Weisz (an actress that I've tried awfully hard to like in other films) gives the best performance of her career in The Brothers Bloom.
"How's the despair?"
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Crazy Heart
7/10

I would prefer Colin Firth to get the Oscar, but I certainly will not gripe about Bridges winning.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”