Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

mlrg wrote:Tom & Viv (1994) - Brian Gilbert

5.5/10

It drags forever. Willem Dafoe is terribly miscast
What about Miranda Richardson....do you think she was robbed?
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Being Julia (2004) - Istvan Szabo

6.5/10

Annette Bening for was robbed of an oscar for this

Tom & Viv (1994) - Brian Gilbert

5.5/10

It drags forever. Willem Dafoe is terribly miscast
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Esther Kahn (Desplechin) - ...great?

Still sorting this one out. Haven't seen a film that's knocked me for a loop like this in a while. I can't say that Linklater or Wes Anderson are my favorite filmmakers anymore. Maybe my new answer is Desplechin.
"How's the despair?"
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Looking for Eric (2009) Ken Loach 4/10

Four Nights with Anna (2008) Jerzy Skolimowski 4/10

Is Anybody There? (2009) John Crowley 5/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Chalk (2006)

A very entertaining, low-budget mockumentary about young teachers in a Texas (?) high school. The performers are a little rough, and the film doesn't really go anywhere, but the characters are engaging, the gags work and the film flies by in 80 minutes. Worth a watch.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Witchfinder General (1968; Michael Reeves) 7/10

Potent, but not alwasy engaging, tale of of a witchfinder, his torturer-assistant, a heroic soldier and a damsal in distress during the English Civil War. Terrific performance by Vincent Price.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Catching up on TV series lately.

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit - Season 9

Still good but beginning to show its age. Adam Beach, so good in two episodes in Season 8 is wasted as a regular in Season 9. Smart move on his part in deciding not to continue with the series.

Supernatural - Season 1

Nice blend of humor and horror. Viewing Season 2 sporadically now, love the closing line in the episode guest starring Linda Blair in which Jensen Ackles asks his brother Jared Padalecki if she didn't look familiar and then said he had a craving for pea soup.

P.D. James Collection

Watched the first mini-series, Death of an Expert Witness from 1983. Missed the opening credits, couldn't place the classically beautiful young actress who played the lesbian secretary, cousin of the murder victim, but knew she was someone I'd seen before. I was shocked to find in the closing credits (after five hours of viewing!) that it was Brenda Blethyn who I was unaware of before Secrets & Lies. She looks completely different. Well crafted story, but I guessed the murderer almost from the beginning, even before the first murder was committed.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1244036213
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Glad to read to enjoyed Mandingo Penelope. It has some of the best lines ever committed to celluloid. My favorite being James Mason's line 'Old Pearl's titied up big enough to feed twelve suckers'. So much of the dialogue was just hysterical. A few months ago we had some friends over for a Mandingo night - it was a hoot.

The Millionaire (1931) John G Adolfi 6/10

The Navy Comes Through (1942) A Edward Sutherland 2/10

Eskimo (1934) W S Van Dyke 4/10

Bluebeard (2009) Catherine Breillat 8/10

This film is a treat and quite uncharacteristic of Breillat's previous work. Something that you could take the kids to.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Mandingo (1975; Richard Fleischer) 9/10

I honestly don't know how to react to this movie. An infamous film about sex and violence in the antebellum South, it's brutal, horrifying, silly, outrageous, and utterly, utterly compelling. Subtle it ain't, and I'm not quite sure how to classify Susan George's performance--fearlessly brilliant or staggeringly inept? At the very least, it's the total flip of Gone with the Wind, and probably a lot more accurate--as a portrait of race relations, gender roles and notions of honor that pervaded Southern culture at the time, it's pretty much on-target. But then it's also eye-rollingly over-the-top and distinctly uncomfortable. Is it trash or a genuine masterpiece? Or both? I think so.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Far from the Madding Crowd (1967; John Schlesinger) 7/10

Good, not great, adaptation of Thomas Hardy's classic novel of a young woman (Julie Christie) and the three men (Terence Stamp, Peter Finch, Alan Bates) entranced by her in the bucolic English countryside. Frederic Raphael's script is essentially a Cliff Notes adaptation, though Schlesinger tries to bring it to life--and he's aided considerably by Nicholas Roeg's exquisite widescreen cinematography. Surprisingly, Christie seems a bit mis-cast here; the men do come off much better, especially Bates.

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Le Femme Publique (1984) Andrzej Zulawski 6/10

Katyn (2007) Andrzej Wajda 4/10

The Falcon Takes Over (2009) Greg Mottola 4/10

Adventureland (2009) Greg Mottola 5/10
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Watched T2 on Blu-Ray last night and it was yet again made clear to me: Best. Movie. Ever.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:
Reza wrote:Elegy (Isabel Coixet, 2008) 5/10

Terribly slow film.....although Ben Kingsley and Penelope Cruz are good.
Patricia Clarkson's not bad, either. But the film totally misses Philip Roth's comic-rage voice, and without that, his stories aren't necessarily all that dramatic.
Yes Clarkson was also very good. Haven't read the Roth book.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Reza wrote:Elegy (Isabel Coixet, 2008) 5/10

Patricia Clarkson's not bad, either. But the film totally misses Philip Roth's comic-rage voice, and without that, his stories aren't necessarily all that dramatic.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Elegy (Isabel Coixet, 2008) 5/10

Return to “Other Film Discussions”