Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The Hangover (Todd Phillips, 2009) 3/10
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The House Bunny (Fred Wolf) - 5/10

This is textbook stuff here. To a fault, really. It's so concerned with cornering every stone that made Legally Blonde a hit that there's no real time to savor the characters, many of whom are totally charming. Anna Faris is an incredibly gifted comedian but she doesn't have enough to work with to create as indelible a character as Reese Witherspoon did in Legally Blonde. She comes close enough and is quite funny, as is Emma Stone who's incredibly talented and has an amazing career ahead of her. Not a very good movie but with very funny people involved.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Angels and Demons (Ron Howard, 2009) 2/10

Another lousy adaptation. However, the views of lovely Rome kept me watching.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Half-Blood Prince - 8/10

Visually stunning, emotionally engaging, and humorous throughout, but I really wish they left in a scene or two to explain a little bit more. Hell, even a few more of the (important) lines from Snape would have benefited the movie.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sabin wrote:
Were the World Mine (2008; Tom Gustafson) 5/10

Gay teenager musical fantasia using A Midsummer Night's Dream as a starting point. The cast is game and it has some entertaining moments, but the lethargic direction, hapless editing and bland musical numbers doom it.
I worked on this in Chicago. The set was just chaotic. Zelda Williams - whom I hear is terrible in it, I haven't seen it - is an incredibly lovely young woman.
I wouldn't say Zelda was terrible at all; she was fine--as was the rest of the cast. The problem was a script that was quite obviously stretched out from thin material. I'm not surprised that the set was chaos, it looks it from the final result.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Gay teenager musical fantasia using A Midsummer Night's Dream as a starting point. The cast is game and it has some entertaining moments, but the lethargic direction, hapless editing and bland musical numbers doom it.

I worked on this in Chicago. The set was just chaotic. Zelda Williams - whom I hear is terrible in it, I haven't seen it - is an incredibly lovely young woman.
"How's the despair?"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Mr. Skeffington (1944; Vincent Sherman) 6/10

Bette Davis at her most mannered in an uneven mixture of woman's picture and WWII propaganda. Claude Rains is terrific, however.

"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Katyn by Andrzej Wajda 8.5/10 The great master is back with another interesting report.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Il´ya Longtemps que je t´aime 9/10
Kristin Scott Thomas delivers her best performance. An intense first feature.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Last Chance Harvey

7/10

I actually enjoyed it. Loved that old-fashioned atmosphere and great-as-always Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffman..
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Bruno 8/10

A little weaker than Borat, but still great.

Sacha Baron Cohen is amazing.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

5/10

The visuals are good.

Jim Broadbent is good.

The humor is good.

Kinda dark style is good.

The film itself is incredibly boring. NOTHING HAPPENS! N-O-T-H-I-N-G!

Btw, while watching the first 20 minutes of the fim, i thought of giving it an 8!
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Bruno (2009) Larry Charles 6/10

The Escapist (2008) Rupert Wyatt 3/10

Lucky Country (2009) Kriv Stenders 2/10

Appaloosa (2008) Ed Harris 4/10

Battle in Seattle (2008) Stuart Townsend 2/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

OscarGuy wrote:But, it's not everyone's cup of tea.
How fitting.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

They may have started out as children's books, but they do enable the child in every adult to be entertained by it. And while it's certainly no work of great literary fiction (like the Lemony Snicket series), it's still a fun book series and very involving. But, it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Other Film Discussions”