Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Street Smart (1987) - Jerry Schatzberg

7/10

Was positevly surprised by this one, as I was expecting another mid 80's trashy movie. Morgan Freeman fully deserved his nomination and I think Kathy Baker was totally robbed of an oscar nomination (and possible win).
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Brokeback Mountain

9/10
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Into the Wild (2007, Sean Penn)

10/10
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

The Bridges of Madison County

10/10

What more can you ask from this masterpiece?
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

Inky's weekly update (watched a few European Union Film Festival screeners over the weekend):

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009; USA) - 4/10
The Way We Are (2008; HK) - 7/10
Star Trek Zero (2009; USA) - 5.5/10
Fireflies in the Garden (2008; USA) - 5.5/10
The Stud and the Nympho (1980; HK) - 3/10
Arabian Nights (2007; Luxembourg) - 5.5/10
Black and White (2008; Italy) - 5.5/10
The Meerkats (2008; UK) - 5/10
Magnus (2007; Estonia) - 6.5/10
Adultery, Chinese Style (1973; HK) - 3/10
Wolf (2007; Sweden) - 5.5/10
Playing Solo (2007; Finland) - 5/10
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

So This Is Love (Gordon Douglas, 1953) 6/10

Kathryn Grayson as Grace Moore in biopic of her early life. Standard biopic oddly ends in 1927 when Moore makes her first appearance at the Metropolitan Opera, before her great success in the Ziegfeld Follies of 1931 and her Oscar nominated performance in 1934's One Night of Love.

Maybe they were planning a sequel which never got made that would have followed her life to its tragic end in a plane crash in January, 1947.

Interesting supporting cast includes Merv Griffin, Douglas Dick, Joan Weldon, Rosemary DeCamp, Jeff Donnell and Margaret Field (Sally's mom).
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Wilby Wonderful - 7/10
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

La Vie en Rose - 4

See my comments elsewhere. Had I seen this film upon release, I'd have predicted Cotillard for the Oscar. Had I seen this film upon release, I'd be complaining about her inevitable triumph over Christie for about as long.
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

The Apostle (1997) - Robert Duvall

6.5/10

A true labour of love by Robert Duvall, with a fantastic performance as the Apostle. However, I think the script lacks some character development.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Bedtime Stories - 5/10

I don't loathe Adam Sandler like most members of the board and this flick has its moments, even if the best ones come from Russel Brand and the prolific use of Deux Ex Machina. Definitely lacks subtlety in the dialogue department though: "So the kid's control the story", "something's going to happen", "so that's how it connects, fire!"
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

FilmFan720 wrote:Thanks to Turner Classic Movies, I caught two films this weekend I had never heard of, but that have their hidden charms:

So Long at the Fair (1950) - A neat little thriller with great performances from Jean Simmons and Dirk Bogarde. Simmons is a young woman in Paris for the first time whose brother mysteriously disappears. No one will believe her that he came, and it quickly turns into a Lady Vanishes-esque film, but contains an interesting twist at the end. Worth seeing.

Those Lips, Those Eyes (1980) - A wonderful little film about the wonders of the theatre (a personal favorite) with a fantastic leading performance by Frank Langella. Langella plays the leading man at an Ohio summer stock, with Tom Hulce as the neophyte prop boy who has his eyes opened. It is a little cliche-ridden, but the script is charming enough and the performers all wonderful.
I've had So Long at the Fair on an imported DVD on the shelf for a while, but put off watching it as it is one of those with bright yellow Spanish subtitles that can't be turned off. Anyway I finally watched it for the first time in more years than I care to remember.

I remembered so little of it that it was like watching it for the first time. It's a neat Hitchcockian thriller with superlative performances from the entire cast, Simmons and Bogarde, for sure, but also David Tomlinson, Honor Blackman, Felix Aylmer and especially Cathleen Nesbitt as the steely hotel-keeper.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams (1973) - Gilbert Cates

4/10

Small independent film with a dated direction by Gil Cates, only worth watching for Joanne Woordward and Sylvia Sidney's performances.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Appalling screenplay with lots of corny dialogue and stereotyped characterisations. It's inspired by true events and the brothers played by Daniel Craig, Liev Schreiber & Jamie Bell are based on real people but the whole project feels very phony. Zwick's direction is as usual plodding.

I took a look at his filmography and confirmed that I have seen a film directed by him that was better the mediocre.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:Defiance (2008) Edward Zwick 1/10
Ouch! That bad, huh?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Closed For Winter (2009) James Bogle 5/10

Defiance (2008) Edward Zwick 1/10

Revanche (2008) Gotz Spielmann 7/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “Other Film Discussions”