Cannes or Cannot?

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I will do Cannes within five years. This is my goal. It is incredibly expensive. My former writing partner is now the head film critic of Time Out Chicago and his goal is to get to a more prominent publication soon enough, and I will couch with that motherfucker when he gets there. Or I will be in such a place in my life where he can couch with me. Either way, I will do this thing because I am so tired of watching others experience the magic in some cases years before I can see these films.
"How's the despair?"
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

FilmFan720 wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:I have an apartment in Cap d'Antibes, very close to Cannes, and of course if anyone needs a place to stay he's welcome there... but I don't know why, I feel that not many will accept this invitation... :-)
Marco, I am very jealous...Antibes was my favorite city on the riviera (I didn't make it all the way to Marseilles), a beautiful, well-kept, historic and peaceful town. It was a highlight on my trip there (isn't there a fantastic Picasso museum there?)!
Yes, bravo! Picasso lived there in the 40s (as did Nikos Kazantzakis, of Zorba the Greek fame).

It's still a quiet place compared to its more fashionable (and more garish) neighbors - Cannes and that absurd independent country of Monaco especially. And it's only three hours by car from Milan.

Have you been to at least one of the villages perches, the perched small towns up on the nearby hills? Those are really beautiful.

My only problem is that, after all these years, I still haven't learned French. I can easily read it because it's very close to Italian, of course, but I can't speak it.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

ITALIANO wrote:I have an apartment in Cap d'Antibes, very close to Cannes, and of course if anyone needs a place to stay he's welcome there... but I don't know why, I feel that not many will accept this invitation... :-)
Marco, I am very jealous...Antibes was my favorite city on the riviera (I didn't make it all the way to Marseilles), a beautiful, well-kept, historic and peaceful town. It was a highlight on my trip there (isn't there a fantastic Picasso museum there?)!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Nah, I'm not like that... I don't select guests according to their opinion on movies.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I have the feeling you will withdraw this invitation for me once we get to Best Actor 1973. :;):
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Reza wrote:
I will accept Marco, I will...................and will keep your invitation in mind IF I ever plan to be in the vicinity. Screw Cannes, I'm more interested in exploring the South of France, a region I've never seen. And Cap d'Antibes sounds like the perfect place to do that from.
You know that you are welcome there.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I will accept Marco, I will...................and will keep your invitation in mind IF I ever plan to be in the vicinity. Screw Cannes, I'm more interested in exploring the South of France, a region I've never seen. And Cap d'Antibes sounds like the perfect place to do that from.

Edited By Reza on 1305292031
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I don't know about flights from the US, but I guess one can find a not too expensive ticket if one books in advance - if not to Cannes, certainly to Paris, and then buying another ticket, Paris-Nice, with Easyjet, the low-cost company (staying in Paris for I'd say at least two or three days wouldn't be a bad idea, of course).

While the general atmosphere at Cannes during the festival is definitely interesting, one shouldn't go there unless he is sure that he can watch the movies, and that is only possible (with rare exceptions) with a press pass, as FilmFan has said.

Cannes itself is a small city of about 80000 inhabitants. It's not even the most beautiful of the French Riviera - I prefer the dirtier but less "grand" Nice, or my own quiet Antibes. If it's so famous - the second most internationally famous French city, according to polls - it's because of the festival. And during the festival it literally explodes with people - industry types and journalists from all around the world. So Cannes, which during the rest of the year isn't exactly cheap, as it is a holiday destination for the rich and famous (more rich than famous today), becomes even more expensive. A two-stars hotel, which would be usually affordable, can cost more than 100 dollars per night in these days, IF one is lucky enough to find a room. There must be, I'm sure, a Youth Hostel too - but could be also full in this period. The secret, as always, is booking months before May, or/and choosing a hotel in a nearby city - Cannes is well-connected to other places by trains and buses. Also, staying in a less crowded, less frenetic place can be a relief and can allow one to see the beauty of the Riviera, which especially in May, when the warm season begins, can be VERY beautiful.

Restaurants are of course expensive too - more because you are in Cannes than because the food is really great. But there are smaller places, or even markets where one can eat well or buy food without spending much - that isn't really a problem.

I have an apartment in Cap d'Antibes, very close to Cannes, and of course if anyone needs a place to stay he's welcome there... but I don't know why, I feel that not many will accept this invitation... :-)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:I was more curious about the general stuff...like hotel, airfare, etc.
Airfare would be quite variable depending on the number of assorted discounts one can find on the net but I would imagine that hotels would be incredibly expensive in Cannes during the period the festival is held.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, I may be able to swing a press pass, not sure, but...I was more curious about the general stuff...like hotel, airfare, etc.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I've never priced it out, but the toughest part of it will be to come up with a pass to get into the movies. When I was studying in France in college, we were in Nice and went over to the festival for a day just to walk around. It is virtually impossible to get into any movie without a press or industry pass, which are incredibly difficult to come by. Add on that it is an expensive city!!!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Has anyone priced out going to Cannes? I'm curious how much it would cost but don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone's done the research?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Other Film Discussions”