Films set in Venice

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

There are of course countless Italian movies.

One of the most popular here is a 1958 comedy directed by Dino Risi, Venezia, La luna e Tu (Venice, The Moon and You), in typically 50s colors and with two big local stars, Alberto Sordi and Nino Manfredi, trying to speak with a Venetian accent with intentionally dreadful results.

Anonimo Veneziano (The Anonymous Venetian) was a huge box-office hit in Italy in the early 70s - the famous music score certanly helped. The stars of this weepy were also very famous back then - Tony Musante and Florinda Bolkan.

Because of the city's peculiar atmosphere, many giallos and thrillers were shot there. The best is probably Antonio Bido's Solamente Nero, with Lino Capolicchio of The Garden of the Finzi Continis fame; but there's also Aldo Lado's Chi L'Ha Vista Morire (Who Saw Her Die) with George Lazemby, which is more famous than really good, or also Ugo Liberatore's Nero Veneziano (Damned in Venice), a gothic story starring child star Renato Cestie'.

Another big commercial hit - which I'm sure must have been shown in Greece, too, at the time - is an early-80s erotic movie directed by a maestro of this kind of cinema, Tinto Brass, who was born in Venice and knew the city very well and whose wife, Carla known as Tinta, was a Cipriani, the family who still owns the Harry's Bar, a Venice institution and Hemingway's favorite drinking spot. Anyway, the title of the movie is La Chiave (The Key), it stars Stefania Sandrelli and a former Oscar nominee, Frank Finlay; it has some quite explicit sex scenes so maybe it's not what you are looking for - but Venice is there in all its glory.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Merchant of Venice and Casanova, yes, and though it's reputedly a lousy film (I haven't seen it), The Tourist was filmed largely in the city.
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

I was asked to submit a list of 10 films set in Venice, in which the city plays an important role and is kind of a character in the film.

I feel confident about my top 5

1. Don't Look Now
2. Death In Venice
3. Summertime
4. The Wings of the Dove
5. Senso

but the rest of the 5 places i just don't know. Films that come to mind are

The Comfort of Strangers
Everyone Says I Love You
Casanova
Sissy
Children of the Century
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Othello
The Merchant of Venice
Bread and Tulips

The Brideshead Revisited (1981) would be a good choice but it's a miniseries and the Venice sequence is short, as it is in "The Story of Us", "Three Coins in the Fountain", "The Talented Mr Ripley", "Only You", "Italian for Beginners", "A Matter of Time", "In Love and War" and that's why i don't think i'll include them. Fellini's Casanova was shot at the Cinecitta studios, the "Italian Job" has a short but entertaining sequence and I decided not to include "The Tourist". What about "Best of Youth"? IMDB says part of it was filmed in Venice, but does it match the criteria. Any other films, particularly italian, that i'm missing?

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1300664651

Return to “Other Film Discussions”