Charlie Chaplin's Time Traveller

Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Did the news anchor call him "Charlie Chapman"!?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's a shot of the Hollywood premiere which is indeed an extra on the Warner Bros. DVD release of seven years ago.

It looks like a two-way radio to me. Such hand-held devices were invented in Australia in 1923, but who the woman is or who she's talking to, will probably remain a mystery.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I read the article and I must have missed the DVD extra thing. But I think all the other footage I seem to be seeing doesn't mention that and suggest it's from The Circus.

But if it's just emerged, I'm sure film historians are already working on trying to figure out what's going on.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

As someone who has seen The Circus several times including once just over a month ago at the Castro Theatre, the first thing I noticed is that's not a clip from The Circus. The CNN article says it's from a DVD extra, of footage from the 1928 premiere of the Circus. In regard to your second option, Oscarguy, it would certainly be harder to replace footage in a well-known, Academy Award-winning feature film than from documentary footage that had most likely not been widely seen. However, one would think that this possibility would still be easily eliminated/debunked by a film archivist. It makes me curious to see the footage in its context however. Wonder if it's the OOP Warner DVD that contains the extra, or if it's some foreign release.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm not exactly sure what is going on here or if something else is at work and I haven't seen anything explaining it, but what is everyone's take on this:

http://www.cnn.com/2010....?hpt=C2

Supposedly, a vid cap from Charlie Chaplin's The Circus shows a woman talking on her cell phone. There are two explanations I can think of:

1. She's not talking on a cellphone but is doing something else with her hand. A lot of people I know will hold a finger in an ear to hear what's going on? And since this is a silent, she may have been listening to directions and talking back. Not quite sure.

2. The other option to me is that some time in the last decade, someone decided to replace a badly-damaged print with a recreation of the scene.

What do you think? or has someone heard a refutation/explanation yet?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Other Film Discussions”