Martin Scorsese Is A Harry Potter Virgin

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Scorsese, who prides himself as a film buff and historian, should at least watch the films. Maybe he wants to see them as a lump sum of parts, but that seems highly unlikely...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

It don't think it qualifies as news to discover that The Sun made something up. But nice to see Scorsese hasn't watched a Potter film - although even the poorest of them are at least better than Shutter Island.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

From the NY Times:

Contradicting Report, Scorsese Says He Hasn’t Seen ‘Harry Potter’ Movies
By DAVE ITZKOFF (July 6, 2010)

There’s hardly an actor working today who wouldn’t sell his soul to Lord Voldemort for an enthusiastic endorsement from Martin Scorsese. Alas, that director’s apparent praise for a star of the “Harry Potter” film franchise has disappeared in a puff of smoke after Mr. Scorsese said he hadn’t seen any of those movies.

In a widely disseminated report published in the British newspaper The Sun, Mr. Scorsese, the maker of “Taxi Driver” and “Raging Bull,” was to have said he hoped to find a role for Rupert Grint, the 21-year-old actor who plays Ron Weasley in the Potter films.

“I would be interested in working with him,” Mr. Scorsese was quoted as saying. “I would have no issues in casting him as a gangster, he is a very talented young man.” The Sun report also quoted Mr. Scorsese as favorably comparing Mr. Grint to Leonardo DiCaprio, who starred in Mr. Scorsese’s films “The Departed” and “Shutter Island,” among others.

But in a statement on Tuesday, Mr. Scorsese wrote, “With respect to the Harry Potter films, regrettably I’ve never seen them and therefore am not able to discuss them or the performances of the talent in them in any way.”

A call to a telephone number listed for The Sun at its Web site went unanswered on Tuesday morning, and an e-mail request for comment did not immediately yield a reply.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “Other Film Discussions”