1:  Yes.
No votes
2:  No.
100%

Total votes: 10

jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Votes no, as it's yet to be done properly. I've so far seen three films in 3D: Up, Avatar and Alice in Wonderland. I thought Up was fantastic, and was even better in 2D as the 3D kept distracting me. I've no idea what went wrong with Avatar. I thought it was supposed to be an immersive 3D experience? Alice in Wonderland was awful no matter if it was 1D, 2D, 3D, 4D, 5D...

If you want to hear some rants and raves about 3D do a search for Mark Kermode, the BBC film reviewer. Even Roger Ebert compliments him.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Mister Tee wrote:Did you all see Coraline in 3-D? I thought that had some amazing visuals.

I wouldn't know how to answer this poll question. For an occasional super-duper, done-in-3-D-from-the-start effort like Avatar, sure. The rest is just price-gouging, and is really turning me off further from going to the movies.
I did and it was very effective. I only saw the film in 3D because Sonic Youth had raved about the film and the 3D effects.

Aside from Coraline I have only seen Avator and Beowulf. I tend to avoid 3D screenings unless I can be assured that it is worth the extra money.

Something like Alice in Wonderland was terrible in 2D and I can't imagine that being in 3D would have made the film any more palatable to me.

I'm planning on seeing Toy Story 3 tomorrow in 2D.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I didn't see Coraline in 3D (hell, until someone mentioned it during Oscar season, I hadn't even realized it was in 3D), but I could easily tell where the 3D was being used, but I guess I'm a purist. I detest things being thrust outside of the frame just to be thrust outside of the frame. It's gimmicky. It's one of the reasons why I think the 3D in Monsters vs. Aliens is entirely pointless and why I feel Alice in Wonderland is crap in 3D (though, that could also have to do with how dark everything on the screen was and paired with the dark glasses, it was almost impossible to see anything).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Did you all see Coraline in 3-D? I thought that had some amazing visuals.

I wouldn't know how to answer this poll question. For an occasional super-duper, done-in-3-D-from-the-start effort like Avatar, sure. The rest is just price-gouging, and is really turning me off further from going to the movies.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

OscarGuy wrote:Of the films I've seen in 3D (several), only two did I really feel it added something: Up and Avatar. The rest have been all gimmick or unnecessary.
I agree, except I'd also add The Polar Express to that list. I enjoyed the IMAX 3D version of it far more than I did the 2D version. However, having seen Up in both 2D and 3D, I didn't think that 3D added a whole lot to the film. Avatar, however, is the best use of 3D I've seen so far.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Of the films I've seen in 3D (several), only two did I really feel it added something: Up and Avatar. The rest have been all gimmick or unnecessary.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

My favorite 2010 film so far is Toy Story 3. Still, I think the use of 3D failed to add anything to it. I liked the 2D Toy Story just as much. I haven't seen Toy Story 2. At the cinema I paid $8 for the movie, which was a matinee, where a 2D would be $6. I don't think it was worth an extra $2. This is my impression about 3D overall. Does anyone think that 3D has so far added value to movies; and, is it enough value to justify the higher prices?

Return to “Other Film Discussions”