Film Awards in Chinese Cinema

inky
Temp

Post by inky »

More about HKFCS Awards

HK Film Critics Society Awards have been the most "academic" (in terms of film aesthetics) annual film awards in Chinese Cinema that reflects the society's positioning. Therefore, they often honor unexpected winners with strong (and very academic) justifications. This is in contrast with HK Film Critics Association's Golden Bauhinia Awards whose taste is pretty close to the industry-based HK Film Awards (i.e., quite Oscar-like). Industry people have been criticising HKFCS' odd taste over the years but the latter don't seem to care.

For example, HKFCS "dares" to honor Wong Jing in two consecutive years (Best Screenplay) although the "infamous" filmmaker is best known in making (producing, writing and directing ... sometimes acting in) slapstick craps. This is because the Society recognizes WJ's recent serious effort in making (producing and writing) a series of gangster dramas which is kind of against his own type.

Other interesting points:

* This is the first time ever that any China-based (including HK & Taiwan) film awards give the Best Picture honors a film and its sequel in two consecutive years (or any two years) - ELECTION (2005) and ELECTION 2 (2006).

* This is the first time ever that any China-based film awards honor the same director's (Johnnie To) two different films in Best Picture (ELECTION 2) & Director (EXILED) categories respectively. Wong Kar-wai came close in 1994 in the 1st HKFCS as both the ASHES OF TIME and CHUNG KING EXPRESS had realistic chances to win the top honors. However, HKFCS favored AOT in both categories (odd taste again, but I found myself having the same taste with them!), in contrast with HK Film Awards and the Taiwan-based Golden Horse Awards who preferred CKE (Golden Bauhinia Awards didn't exist till 1996).

* HKFCS seems to favor mainland Chinese-born actresses a lot (note: HKFCS Awards do not distinguish leading & supporting categories), though I believe that it's more a coincidence then being intentional. To date, 6 out of 13 editions of HKFCS Best Actress Awards were given to mainland Chinese actresses - RED ROSE WHITE ROSE's Joan Chen (1994), THE DAY THE SUN TURNED COLD's Siqin Gaowa (1995), DURIAN DURIAN's Qin Hailu (2000), 2046's Zhang Ziyi (2004), PERHAPS LOVE's Zhou Xun (2005), and CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER's Gong Li (2006). Note that this is the first time ever that any HK or Taiwan-based film awards give Best Actress Awards to mainland Chinese for 3 consecutive years.

* This is the first time ever that HKFCS honors a mainland China-born actor in the Best Actor category (FEARLESS' Jet Li), and the first time ever that HKFCS gives both Best Actor and Actress trophies to mainland Chinese.

* Johnnie To has won Best Director Awards in 5 out of the 13 editions of HKFCS. This is not the first time JT has won the award in two consecutive years. His previous wins: A HERO NEVER DIES (1998), THE MISSION (1999), PTU (2003), and ELECTION (2005).
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

HK Film Critics Society Awards

Picture: ELECTION 2
RU: OPERATION UNDERCOVER
Other noms: EXILED / CONFESSION OF PAIN / HEAVENLY KINGS

Director: Johnnie To, EXILED
RU: Patrick Tam, AFTER THIS OUR EXILE / Andrew Lau & Alan Mak, CONFESSION OF PAIN
noms: Johnnie To, ELECTION 2 / Daniel Wu, HEAVENLY KINGS

Screenplay: Wong Jing & Tang Tut-Hei, OPERATION UNDERCOVER (This is the 2nd time Wong Jing bags HKFCS Best Screenplay - He does write "serious" gangster dramas from time to time.)
RU: ELECTION 2
noms: HEAVENLY KINGS / CONFESSION OF PAIN / ON THE EDGE

Actor: Jet Li, FEARLESS
RU: Chow Yun-fat, CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER
noms: Francis Ng, OPERATION UNDERCOVER / Tony Leung Chiu-wai, CONFESSION OF PAIN / Nick Cheung, ON THE EDGE / Anthony Wong, EXILED

Actress: Gong Li, CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER
RU: Qin Hailu, AFTER THIS OUR EXILE
noms: Theresa Mo, MEN SUDDENLY IN BLACK 2 / Zhou Xun, THE BANQUET / Shu Qi, CONFESSION OF PAIN

Outstanding Films:
- OPERATION UNDERCOVER
- HEAVENLY KINGS
- CONFESSION OF PAIN
- EXILED
- ON THE EDGE
- FEARLESS
- HEAVENLY MISSION
- AFTER THIS OUR EXILE
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

One more point about this year's Golden Horse. I still haven't seen the Best Pic winner AFTER THIS OUR EXILE but I only realized today after reading a review that the film is set in my home country, Malaysia, as it's based on a true story over there. That means the film has become the first set-in-Malaysia film that wins a Golden Horse (Singapore film HOME RUN has won a Best New Performer Award 3 years back - the film was partially filmed in Malaysia but set in Singapore). Tsai Ming-liang's new film (set in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) could have made it a double but he withdrew from the competition despite of receiving three nominations in relatively minor categories as the jury criticized him for being self-indulgent.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

inky wrote:God! I loved Macau. Just came back from a day-trip. I just walked pass one of its major shooting locations this afternoon. One of the reasons that I visited Macau this morning is that two of my favorite HK films of the year are set in this little charming ex-colony.)

I can recommend more later if you wish.
I'm so envious. I really wanted to visit Macau but unfortunately had only a single entry visa into Hong Kong.

Thanks for the list of film recommendations. I'll try and see if I can get my hands on some of these.
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

I would STRONGLY advice you to make CRAZY STONE an exception because it's such an enigmatic miracle in Chinese Cinema and it seems to be of more European than HK influence. Moreover, it's a testimony or satire of the crazy rush towards capitalism in contemporary China.

Many of the titles that I've mentioned are rather slow-paced, talky ones (i.e., French one), which may not be what you want. Go for the following films as starters,

- JULY RHAPSODY (I simply loved this family drama as every Chinese-educated audience does, for the film's strong reference to an ancient Chinese poem as a complex metaphor of the characters' fate and helplessness)
- THE MISSING GUN (a RUN LOLA RUN-style STRAY DOG)
- PTU (Johnnie To's haunting crime drama)
- ELECTION 1 & 2 (Johnnie To again; the Cannes president loved the first installment, considering the gangster-themed film more a drama than crime thriller / 2nd installment is arguably a better film)
- BE WITH ME (Singapore drama, received 10-minute standing ovation at Cannes last year)
- ISABELLA (God! I loved Macau. Just came back from a day-trip. This melancholy drama about father-daughter relationship that is set in Macau has Wong Kar-wai's influence and yet has its own unique feel.)
- EXILED (I considered this latest Johnnie To film "The best John Woo film that John Woo has yet to make." Homage to Western films, especially Sam Peckinpah [especially THE WILD BUNCH] and Sergio Leone. Every single action scene has its own character and could be textbook materials, just like To's 1999 film THE MISSION which has made me a huge fan of him. Also set in Macau. I just walked pass one of its major shooting locations this afternoon. One of the reasons that I visited Macau this morning is that two of my favorite HK films of the year are set in this little charming ex-colony.)

I can recommend more later if you wish.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

inky wrote:Reza, you may want to list down your top-10 all-time favorites so that I can recommend similar kinds of Chinese films to you.

Maggie Cheung only appeared in 3 Chinese films in the last five years - IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE, HERO and 2046 (cameo).

For Tony Leung Chiu-wai, go for INFERNAL AFFAIRS trilogy (though he had a cameo appearance in the 2nd installment anyway). Zhang Yimou's HERO (starring Tony, Maggie, Jet Li, Donnie Yen and my favorite mainland Chinese actor Chen Daoming) has been slammed by most of the Chinese film critics but I liked the film for the merits that all of them have overlooked.

At this point in time I want to avoid any and all comedies. Have seen all 3 of Maggie Cheung's films you mention. Also Infernal Affairs (only the first installment) and Hero.

Recommend something on the lines of In the Mood For Love, Raise the Red Lantern and Shanghai Triad. Dramatic and romantic stories only. Please point out similar themed films from your list below.

I desparately searched for books (in english) on chinese cinema in Hong Kong. Sadly there were none available. I need to learn more about them.

Thanks!
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

VanHelsig - Yes, same person. Ng is the boy's Cantonese name. Ironically, he lost to a Taiwanese actor who wasn't nominated for Leading or Supporting Actor in the Best New Performer Category.

Reza - Coincidentally, I'm in HK right now and will be back to Singapore in 4 days' time. I watched the award ceremony online as my hotel doesn't have access to the Taiwan-based cable TV channel that telecast the event.

Reza, you may want to list down your top-10 all-time favorites so that I can recommend similar kinds of Chinese films to you.

Maggie Cheung only appeared in 3 Chinese films in the last five years - IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE, HERO and 2046 (cameo).

For Tony Leung Chiu-wai, go for INFERNAL AFFAIRS trilogy (though he had a cameo appearance in the 2nd installment anyway). Zhang Yimou's HERO (starring Tony, Maggie, Jet Li, Donnie Yen and my favorite mainland Chinese actor Chen Daoming) has been slammed by most of the Chinese film critics but I liked the film for the merits that all of them have overlooked. Spoof movie CHINESE ODYSSEY 2002 (also starring Tony) has been underrated by many due to its slapstick look but the very academic-oriented HK Film Critics Society has justifiably honored the film the Best Picture of the year. Let's look forward to the first Ang (Lee)-Tony collaboration, LUST, CAUTION, which was partially filmed in my home country, Malaysia.

Let me share with you my top-5 Chinese films in each of the last 5 years,

2001:
1. Quitting (Zhang Yang) (mainland China)
2. What Time is it There? (Tsai Ming-liang) (Taiwan)
3. July Rhapsody (Ann Hui) (HK)
4. Hollywood Hong Kong (Fruit Chan) (HK)
5. Millennium Mambo (Hou Hsiao-Hsien) (Taiwan)

2002:
1. The Best of Times (Chang Tso-Chi) (Taiwan)
2. Hero (Zhang Yimou) (mainland China)
3. Love at 7-11 (Teng Yung-Shing) (Taiwan)
4. Leaving in Sorrow (Vincent Chui) (HK)
5. The Missing Gun (Lu Chuan) (mainland China)

2003:
1. PTU (Johnnie To) (HK)
2. My Whispering Plan (Chu You-Ning) (Taiwan)
3. Blind Shaft (Li Yang) (mainland China)
4. Fu Bo (Wong Ching-pu & Lee Kong-lok) (HK)
5. Men Suddenly in Black (Pang Ho-cheung) (HK)

2004:
1. South of the Clouds (Zhu Wen) (mainland China)
2. Darkness Bride (Kwok Wai-lun) (HK)
3. Delamu (Tian Zhuangzhuang) (mainland China) (documentary)
4. The World (Jia Zhangke) (mainland China)
5. 2046 (Wong Kar-wai) (HK)

2005:
1. Three Times (Hou Hsiao-Hsien) (Taiwan)
2. Perpetual Motion (Ning Ying) (mainland China)
3. Be With Me (Eric Khoo) (Singapore) (a predominantly Mandarin or Chinese dialect-speaking film)
4. The Wayward Cloud (Tsai Ming-liang) (Taiwan)
5. Election (Johnnie To) (HK)

2006:
1. Isabella (Pang Ho-Cheung) (HK)
2. Exiled (Johnnie To) (HK)
3. Election 2 (Johnnie To) (HK)
4. Rain Dog (Ho Yuhang) (Malaysia) (a predominantly Mandarin or Chinese dialect-speaking film)
5. Little Red Flower (Zhang Yuan) (China)
[Looking forward to a few other films like Jia Zhangke's Venice Golden Lion winner STILL LIFE.]

NOTE: I would like to especially recommend mainland Chinese crime comedy CRAZY STONE, a sleeper hit in China this year which is an excellent "Chinesization" of LOCK, STOCK AND TWO SMOKING BARRELS and Donnie Boyle and Quentin Tarantino with the dynamics of HK- and Chinese Opera-style actions that the Western films that this film learns from lack. There are some black humors that those who understand mainland China would appreciate better but here's one that perhaps you can understand :- An mob leader looks at a camera and says, "Damn! Nike has started selling cameras nowadays!" ..... He's looking at a Nikon camera.
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

I thought Goum Ian Iskandar is the winner of Best Supporting Actor? Or Ng King-To & Iskandar refer to the same person?

Reza, for starters, why don't you try the Best Picture winner, After This Our Exile, and the picture with the most wins, Perhaps Love.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I suddenly became very interested in Chinese cinema after my recent trip to Hong Kong. I went to many shops but had no idea which films to buy as I didn't know what was good.

Could you please recommend some good dramatic film titles of the last 5 years or so? But not the Jackie Chan ''beat-em-up'' type of films. Titles with Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung etc?
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

43rd Golden Horse Awards

Best Picture: AFTER THIS OUR EXILE [HK]
Best Director: Peter Chan, PERHAPS LOVE [HK/China]
Best Leading Actor: Aaron Kwok, AFTER THIS OUR EXILE
Best Leading Actress: Zhou Xun, PERHAPS LOVE
Best Documentary: MY FOOTBALL SUMMER [Taiwan]
Best Short Film: THE SECRET IN THE WIND [Taiwan]
Best Supporting Actor: Ng King-To, AFTER THIS OUR EXILE
Best Supporting Actress: Nikki Shie, REFLECTIONS [Taiwan]
Best New Performer: Chang Jui-Chia, ETERNAL SUMMER [Taiwan]
Best Original Screenplay: CRAZY STONE [China/HK]
Best Screenplay Adaptation: LITTLE RED FLOWER [China]
Best Cinematography: PERHAPS LOVE
Best Film Editing: DO OVER [Taiwan]
Best Visual Effects: SILK [Taiwan]
Best Art Direction: THE BANQUET [China]
Best Makeup & Costume Design: THE BANQUET
Best Sound: AMOUR-LEGEND [Taiwan]
Best Action Choreography: EXILED [HK]
Best Original Film Score: DO OVER
Best Original Film Song: "Crossroad", PERHAPS LOVE
Audience Voted Best Picture: EXILED
Formosa Film Award (Taiwanese Film of the year): DO OVER
Formosa Film Personality Award (Taiwanese filmmaker of the year): Kuo Li-Chi (sound recordist - previous work includes "2046")

New "Records":
- At 9 years old, Ng King-To is the youngest actor ever wins a major acting award (i.e., not counting Best Juvenile Actor & Best New Performer winners).
- The 1st time two films directed by mainland Chinese sweep both screenplay awards.
- The 1st time a film by a mainland Chinese director bags Best Art Direction Award
- The 1st time a film by a mainland Chinese director bags Best Costume Design Award
- The 1st time more than one film (3 of them!) by mainland Chinese directors bring home Golden Horse Awards.
- The 1st time a "pure" Taiwanese film wins Visual Effects Award (CTHD won the same award but it's too international.)
- The 1st time a "pure" Johnnie To film wins Action Choreography Award (To & Wai co-directed RUNNING OUT OF TIME 2 which has also won Golden Horse in the same category.)
- The 1st time an on-screen father-son duo bags major acting awards - also the 2nd time for any award (1st time was INITIAL D - Anthony Wong for Best Supp. Actor and Jay Chou for Best New Performer).
- EXILED is the first Golden Horse-winning film that is set in Macau.
- Zhou Xun becomes the second performer who sweeps Golden Horse and 3 HK-based film awards (HKFA, HK Film Critics, Golden Bauhinia) for her performance in the same film. The first person who achieved this was DURIAN DURIAN's Qin Hailu.
- Aaron Kwok becomes the third actor who wins Golden Horse Best Actor in two consecutive years (the first two were Chow Yun-fat & Jackie Chan).
- This year's result equals a record set in year 2000 (CTHD [6] & THE MAGIC SHADOW [2]) that 8 Golden Horse Awards are given to movies filmed entirely in mainland China (PERHAPS LOVE [4]; THE BANQUET [2]; CRAZY STONE [1]; LITTLE RED FLOWER [1]).
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

28th Hundred Flower Award winners (China's People's Choice Awards)

Best Picture: "Zhang Side"
Outstanding Pictures: KUNGFU HUSTLE / "Life and Death of Niu Yuru"
Director: Yin Li, "Zhang Side"
Actor: Wu Jun, "Zhang Side"
Actress: Rene Liu, A WORLD WITHOUT THIEVES
Supp. Actor: Nicholas Tse, NEW POLICE STORY
Supp. Actress: Yuen Qiu, KUNGFU HUSTLE
Newcomer: Sun Li, FEARLESS
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

rain Bard wrote:thanks for keeping us updated, inky.

The golden age when San Francisco was officially a stop on the Chinese-language film circuit is pretty much over thanks to DVD importing (which I almost never participate in, being a celluloid addict; and on the rare occassions when I make it into a Chinatown video store, I'm too tempted to buy Shaw Brothers or Cathay reissues to spring for a new release).

The only one of these films which was shown in a local cinema was Perhaps Love. I found it all but insufferable. Hopefully the Tsai, at least, will make it to a film festival here next spring. The last Johnnie To film we got was Breaking News, and that took a year and a half.

With 12 nominations, PERHAPS LOVE seems to be the film to beat in Best Picture category, but Peter Chan will face competition from Ning Hao and Johnnie To in Best Director. Unlike Oscars, Golden Horse Awards have the tradition of Best Pic-Director split (exactly 50% in the last 42 editions; also 50% in the past 10 years).

You should look forward to ELECTION and ELECTION 2.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

thanks for keeping us updated, inky.

The golden age when San Francisco was officially a stop on the Chinese-language film circuit is pretty much over thanks to DVD importing (which I almost never participate in, being a celluloid addict; and on the rare occassions when I make it into a Chinatown video store, I'm too tempted to buy Shaw Brothers or Cathay reissues to spring for a new release).

The only one of these films which was shown in a local cinema was Perhaps Love. I found it all but insufferable. Hopefully the Tsai, at least, will make it to a film festival here next spring. The last Johnnie To film we got was Breaking News, and that took a year and a half.
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

2006 Golden Horse Award nominees:

Best Pic:
- CRAZY STONE (probably the most entertaining mainland Chinese film ever made and was a sleeper hit; the film is PULP-FICTION-meet-LOCK-STOCK-AND-TWO-SMOKING-BARRELS; director Ning Hao was signed by Hollywood 4 weeks after the film's release)
- EXILED (Johnnie To's new gangster action-drama which is an excellent Leone-Peckinpah hybrid, i.e., Western film-looking albeit set in modern Macau)
- SILK (horror)
- PERHAPS, LOVE (Peter Chan's musical saga)
- AFTER THIS OUR EXILE (HK New Wave veteran Patrick Tam's new film after about 20 years "directorial break")

Best Short Film:
- NEXT DOOR
- 53 FLOWER HOUSE
- THE SECRET IN THE WIND
- DAYS ON THE CROSSWALK

Best Documentary: (NOTE: This category only has two entries!)
- DOCTOR
- MY FOOTBALL SUMMER

Best Dir:
- Ning Hao, CRAZY STONE
- Johnnie To, EXILED
- Su Chao-Pin, SILK
- Peter Chan, PERHAPS, LOVE

Best Actor:
- Sam Lee, DOG BITE DOG
- Francis Ng, OPERATION UNDERCOVER
- Aaron Kwok, AFTER THIS OUR EXILE
- Chang Chen, TO GO MASTER

Best Actress:
- Siqin Gaowa, THE POSTMODERN LIFE OF MY AUNT
- Angelica Lee, RE-CYCLE
- Zhou Xun, PERHAPS, LOVE
- Carina Lau, CURIOSITY KILLS THE CAT

Best Supp. Actor:
- Chapman To, MOONLIGHT IN TOKYO
- Wu Chong-Tian, "The Weight of the Fingertip" [literal title]
- Ng King-To, AFTER THIS OUR EXILE
- Chang Hsiao-Chuan, ETERNAL SUMMER

Best Supp. Actress:
- Kristal Tin, MY MOTHER IS A BELLY DANCER
- Vicki Zhao, THE POSTMODERN LIFE OF MY AUNT
- Nikki Shie, REFLECTIONS
- Cai Baozhu, I DON'T WANT TO SLEEP ALONE (Tsai's new film)

Best New Performer:
- Wu Chong-Tian, "The Weight of the Fingertip" [literal title]
- Ng King-To, AFTER THIS OUR EXILE
- Chang Jui-Chia, ETERNAL SUMMER
- Chang Hsiao-Chuan, ETERNAL SUMMER

Best Original Screenplay:
- CRAZY STONE
- SILK
- "The Weight of the Fingertip" [literal title]
- AFTER THIS OUR EXILE

Best Adapted Screenplay:
- LITTLE RED FLOWER
- THE POSTMODERN LIFE OF MY AUNT
- DRAGON TIGER GATE

Best Cinematography:
- THE BANQUET
- PERHAPS, LOVE
- AFTER THIS OUR EXILE
- TO GO MASTER

Best Visual Effects:
- RE-CYCLE
- SILK
- PERHAPS, LOVE
- A CHINESE TALL STORY

Best Artistic Design:
- THE BANQUET
- RE-CYCLE
- PERHAPS, LOVE
- TO GO MASTER

Best Image Design (i.e., costumes + make-up):
- THE BANQUET
- PERHAPS, LOVE
- AFTER THIS OUR EXILE
- TO GO MASTER

Best Action Choreography:
- EXILED
- DRAGON TIGER GATE
- PERHAPS, LOVE
- FEARLESS

Best Original Music:
- THE BANQUET
- SILK
- PERHAPS, LOVE

Best Original Song:
- THE BANQUET
- PERHAPS, LOVE
- REFLECTIONS
- ETERNAL SUMMER

Best Film Editing:
- CRAZY STONE
- EXILED
- PERHAPS, LOVE

Best Sound:
- RE-CYCLE
- PERHAPS, LOVE
- AMOUR-LEGEND
- I DON'T WANT TO SLEEP ALONE

Formosa Film Award (formerly known as "Grand Jury Prize" - given to the best Taiwanese film of the year):
- DO OVER
- DAYS ON THE CROSSWALK

Formosa Film Personality Award (Taiwanese filmmaker of the year):
- Kuo Li-Chi
- Pan Chih-Yuen
- Chen Bo-Lin

* This year's jurors' taste is relatively mainstream as all Best Picture nominees are Hollywood-style films. Tsai Ming-Liang's new film is a prominent snub as the jury spokesman argues that the Chinese Cinema (as a whole) does not need such "personal", perhaps self-indulgent films to improve the weak box-office.

* Other prominent snubs: Chow Yun-Fat (THE POSTMODERN LIFE OF MY AUNT) and Zhang Ziyi (THE BANQUET) - The juror's spokesman explained that their actings were over-the-top. Jackie Chan-starred ROB-B-HOOD is also omitted from Best Action Choreography. Johnnie To's ELECTION 2, arguably outshining its first installment, couldn't secure a single nomination.
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

11th Golden Bauhinia Awards (HK Film Critics Association)

Previously positioned as a precursor of HK Film Awards, this edition of GBA was almost cancelled perhaps due to the lack of funds. The HKFCA has finally made it though with 4 months' delay, and they had to amend the qualifying rules from "movies released theatrically in HK for at least one day in the last calendar year" to "movies completed between Jan 1, 2005 and the entry deadline (end of June, 2006 if I'm not wrong)" (theatrical release is no longer a prerequisite).

Award Ceremony: Aug 13

Best Picture: ELECTION
(other nominees)
- ISABELLA
- PERHAPS, LOVE
- INITIAL D
- CRAZY 'N THE CITY

Best Director: Peter Chan, PERHAPS, LOVE
- James Yuen, CRAZY 'N THE CITY
- Benny Chan, DIVERSION
- Johnnie To, ELECTION
- Pang Ho-Cheung, ISABELLA

Best Actor: Simon Yam, ELECTION
- Eason Chan, CRAZY 'N THE CITY
- Tony Leung Ka-fai, ELECTION
- Chapman To, ISABELLA
- Andy Lau, WAIT 'TIL YOU ARE OLDER

Best Actress: Zhou Xun, PERHAPS, LOVE
- Karena Lam, HOME SWEET HOME
- Isabella Leung, ISABELLA
- Cecilia Cheung, THE PROMISE
- Angelica Lee, RE-CYCLE

Best Supporting Actor: Anthony Wong, INITIAL D
- Chapman To, MOONLIGHT IN TOKYO
- Lau Siu-Ming, RE-CYCLE
- Gordon Lam, WAIT 'TIL YOU ARE OLDER
- Nick Cheung, ELECTION 2

Best Supporting Actress: Theresa Mo, 2 YOUNG
- Maggie Siu, ELECTION
- Paula Tsui, SHOPAHOLICS
- Zhang Jingchu, SEVEN SWORDS
- Cara Hui, CRAZY 'N THE CITY

Best Screenplay: ELECTION
- CRAZY 'N THE CITY
- ELECTION 2
- WAIT 'TIL YOU ARE OLDER
- DIVERSITY

Best New Performer: Isabella Leung, ISABELLA
- Jay Chou, INITIAL D
- Fiona Sit, 2 YOUNG
- Zeng Ya Qi, RE-CYCLE
- Pauline Poon, ELECTION 2

Best Music: PERHAPS, LOVE
- ISABELLA
- ELECTION
- MOONLIGHT IN TOKYO
- ELECTION 2

Best Art Direction: PERHAPS, LOVE
- ISABELLA
- RE-CYCLE
- THE PROMISE

Best Sound: INITIAL D
- SEVEN SWORDS
- ISABELLA
- THE PROMISE
- RE-CYCLE

Best Song: PERHAPS, LOVE
- INITIAL D
- WAIT 'TIL YOU GET OLDER
- MOONLIGHT IN TOKYO
- 2 BECOME 1

Best Cinematography: PERHAPS, LOVE
- ISABELLA
- INITIAL D
- SEVEN SWORDS
- ELECTION

Best Film Editing: INITIAL D
- PERHAPS, LOVE
- ELECTION
- SEVEN SWORDS
- RE-CYCLE

Innovative Award: RE-CYCLE
- AV
- HOME SWEET HOME
- ISABELLA
- b420

Most Popular Film: PERHAPS, LOVE

Most Popular Actor: Andy Lau, WAIT 'TIL YOU ARE OLDER

Most Popular Actress: Angelica Lee, RE-CYCLE

Outstanding Achievement Award: Yu Mok Wan

Top-10 Chinese (inc. HK, Mainland China, Taiwan) Films:
1. ELECTION
2. WAIT 'TIL YOU GET OLDER
3. PERHAPS, LOVE
4. KEKEXILI
5. S.P.L.
6. INITIAL D
7. THE WAYWARD CLOUD
8. SEVEN SWORDS
9. AV
10. CRAZY 'N THE CITY

Top-10 Foreign-Language Films:
1. SYMPATHY OF LADY VENGEANCE (S. Korea)
2. HAWL'S MOVING CASTLE (Japan)
3. CRYING OUT LOVE IN THE CENTER OF THE WORLD (Japan)
4. GLOOMY SUNDAY (Germany/Hungary)
5. DENSHA OTOKO (A TRUE LOVE STORY) (Japan)
6. CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (USA)
7. SIDEWAYS (USA)
8. SINCITY (USA)
9. BE WITH YOU (Japan)
10. KING KONG (USA)
11. STAR WARS: EPISODE 3 (USA)

Return to “Other Film Discussions”