Beatrice Straight Best Supporting Actress 1977 - An Oscar campaign on her behalf?

Jeffrey
Graduate

Post by Jeffrey »

Thanks. Informative.

I've read somewhere in the past five years about a public relations movement on Straight's behalf.

Anyway, has anyone around here mentioned Robert Osborne's 80 Years of Oscars book. Talk about informative!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This thread has a lot of talk about Straight's win but I don't recall anything about her "campaign". I don't think she had one.

http://uaadb.oscarguy.com/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=3;t=9376

Straight was a long time popular New York stage and TV actress who was married to actor Peter Cookson. She was one of the Whitneys, one of New York's wealthiest families. Her brother was married to Jackie Kennedy and Gore Vidal's step-sister so she certainly could afford a "campaign" but she would probably have considered such a thing undignified.
Jeffrey
Graduate

Post by Jeffrey »

I just watched Beatrice Straight winning Best Supporting Actress on YouTube. We all know it's the shortest winning performance.

I'm wondering if there was an uber-effective Oscar campaign on her behalf. Seems as though once upon a time on this board I read something about her Oscar campaign.

Yet I've forgotten the details. Could someone out there refresh my memory about the 1977 Best Supporting Actress race?

FYI: I'm from Lexington, Kentucky, hometown of Revolutionary Road's Michael Shannon. His mom wore a $168.00 rayon dress to the ceremony last Febrary. Just thought that little tidbit might be of interest.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”